Thread: Setup Help

Forum Member

Setup Help

Hi everyone! To start off I want to say this is my first post here, but have been lurking for a bit. Great site with great people! To the matter at hand...

I currently use a simple amp (Fender Prosonic) and pedalboard system. There are times in certain pieces that I play that I have to switch from the 1st (cleaner) channel to the 2nd (higher gain) gain channel and try to toe a stompbox quickly. This makes for some tricky footwork and a sometimes sloppy transistion on my part. Today I began looking around the internet at some simple setups incorporating a MIDI controller and believe this may be the correct path, but I still have some questions that I cannot answer. I know I can assign certain MIDI switches on the controller to activiate a specific pedal via an audio controller, but is it possible to have one switch assigned to a straight clean tone, another on that same amp channel but with an OD pedal, another on the 2nd amp channel with a Dejavibe and some echo, etc... Ever more basically, would it be possible to even change channel on my Prosonic via a MIDI setup? As you can tell, I'm completely clueless when it comes to this MIDI stuff, for my entire guitar-playing life I've just known, Guitar->Wah->OD->Amp, but any starting to explore new territory.

I'd be very greatful for any help, and sorry about the long-winded post. Thanks!

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Setup Help

There are MIDI controller setups that will switch pedal combinations and change channels on your amp. Bradshaw makes custom systems, but the most prevalent system I can think of is the "Ground Control" system by Digital Music, Inc. (Same people who make Voodoo Labs pedals).

The GCX switcher will take 8 effects and they can be switched on in any combination using their "Ground Control" MIDI footpedal (or other MIDI footpedals). Again, it does have jacks to plug into your amp's footswitch jack to change channels as well.

It's a really cool rig, but I would absolutely not describe it as simple (or cheap--it's about 1400 for the two pieces I mentioned, and that doesn't include the rack and rack-drawer you'll need for all the pedals, plus all the short runs of cable used to go to and from each pedal to the GCX).

TC Electronic has a more simplified concept with their "G-system" that involves their own integrated Multi-FX box and will accept loops for four pedals and/or channel switching amps. Also looks very cool, but is again not cheap. $1500 I believe.

Hope some of that helped.