Thread: Mary Kaye

Forum Member

Mary Kaye

I have a Mary Kaye ash strat or a 57 reissue blonde with gold hardware from the late 80's . In the Fender Stratocaster book it mentions that when the Custom Shop started that these were the first run done between 87 and 89 . I think there were 2,000 of them made . Can anyone confirm thats what this guitar is ?

Forum Member

Re: Mary Kaye

If it says 'Custom Shop' on it them it will be one of the 1000 Mary Kayes made when the CS first opened its doors. If not, it will be an AV.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Camoradi View Post
    If it says 'Custom Shop' on it them it will be one of the 1000 Mary Kayes made when the CS first opened its doors. If not, it will be an AV.
    I went back and read the Fender Strat book and it refers to some blonde AV strats being a limited edition made between 87 and 89, the same period when the custom shop did their first run of 1,000 blonde MKs . I just wonder if that was the first run of guitars they did if they didnt have custom shop actually stamped on the guitar somewhere ? What im asking are the ones mentioned by the custom shop are indeed the same ones mentioned as AV from the same time period . The one i own is awfully nice . I think it could pass as a CS guitar . Yes the serial # number is prefixed by a "V" . It does appear that it was maybe the first thing Custom shop did .
    Last edited by quiltmaster; 01-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.

What is a "Mary Kaye" strat?
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

It's an ash bodied, maple FB strat in translucent blonde (aka Mary Kaye white) with gold hardware.
    Apparently she became associated with these guitars after a 50's promo shot showed her posing with one and people started going into shops asking for a 'Mary Kaye Strat'.

http://www.marykayetrio.com/mkstrat.htm

Thanks.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Forum Member

When the Custom Shop started they always marked their guitars as 'CS', and if it isn't on the outside, it will be on the inside. But they have never used the 'V' prefix for serial numbers so it can't be CS. Custom Shop have never made AV guitars, and especially in the early years when some confusion can occur, the models remained distinct from the normal Fender range, and usually started the serial with a 'CN' prefix.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Camoradi View Post
    When the Custom Shop started they always marked their guitars as 'CS', and if it isn't on the outside, it will be on the inside. But they have never used the 'V' prefix for serial numbers so it can't be CS. Custom Shop have never made AV guitars, and especially in the early years when some confusion can occur, the models remained distinct from the normal Fender range, and usually started the serial with a 'CN' prefix.

Thanks for the info . This guitar is really nice . I own lots of strats but this one is really dialed in not to mention the look of it with its blond ash body and gold hardware . I aquired it around 93 .
    Last edited by quiltmaster; 01-07-2007 at 07:44 AM.

If it has a V on the neckplate and it seems all original, it is a Vintage reissue. In 1987 there were a run of vintage reissues in blonde and I have seen them with gold parts. They had ash bodies. I have a buddy that has one and he has pretty good information that is from 1987 i.e. a Corona reissue. These were the first guitars made in Corona after the CBS sale was done and Fullerton closed in 1985. They then made these. If I had pictures of the guitar and plate, I could probabally tell you.

There is a brief mention of this in the Duchossoir book under "The Body" on page 51 in my issue. It is mentioned because theye were the first Ash bodies made in Corona. Until then all were alder.
    "Sorry" - John Belushi as he smashed a guitar in Animal House

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Erock_Germany View Post
    If it has a V on the neckplate and it seems all original, it is a Vintage reissue. In 1987 there were a run of vintage reissues in blonde and I have seen them with gold parts. They had ash bodies. I have a buddy that has one and he has pretty good information that is from 1987 i.e. a Corona reissue. These were the first guitars made in Corona after the CBS sale was done and Fullerton closed in 1985. They then made these. If I had pictures of the guitar and plate, I could probabally tell you.

There is a brief mention of this in the Duchossoir book under "The Body" on page 51 in my issue. It is mentioned because theye were the first Ash bodies made in Corona. Until then all were alder.
    It does have a V on the neck plate and I also have the Duchossoir book . Thats where i got my info as well . . I think the book said they were made between 87 and 89 with about 1,000 being made . I seem to remember that the volume pots may have said that they were from that time as well . Its a very nice strat . The neck has a good bit of stain on it . I have a 84 reissue 3 color sunburst and neck was also stained dark to create an old look . They got away from that at some point . My newer AV strats dont have that look to them .
    Last edited by quiltmaster; 01-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.