Thread: Speaker Cabinet; Sealed,Open , or Ported??

Forum Member

Speaker Cabinet; Sealed,Open , or Ported??

I have two cabinets, one is a smaller vintage Peavey 412s sealed cabinet and the other is a taller Peavey 412F cabinet that is ported on the top and bottom. Being that I have a bad back, in most cases its actually easier for me to schlep aroung the bigger cabinet, because I can use leverge to get tip it up and slide it onto ramps , platforms ( the smaller one has to be lifted). They are both pretty deep cabinets as opposed to Marshall cabinets which are more shallow. Anyone got any opinions on Cabinets? The ported one seemed to sound better, but I cannot compare them side to side. I would really like to hear some comments regarding Speaker cabinet depth and size as well as materials and enclosure types, or anything else about cabinets.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Speaker Cabinet; Sealed,Open , or Ported??

I have a lot of opinions about cabinets but I will restrict myself to just voicing a few, lol
    I think the deeper the cab (within reason) the thumpier the sound. Marshalls are about 14" deep; your Peaveys are deeper than that? What are the dimensions of said cabs?
    Another opinion: I thionk Marshall & Marshall-type amps sound best w/closed back cabs, & Fender amps sound best w/open backs.
    I also think materials make a difference, too, but not as much as some think they do. All my cabs are 3/4" voidless birch for no other reason than I like it & it is considered the industry standard.

Forum Member

Re: Speaker Cabinet; Sealed,Open , or Ported??

Thanks for the reply. being a Hi-fi guy, my first instinct would be to stuff a lot of ,well, stuffing in all that empty space. Seems logical it would sound better,less boomy, if also less original. I know Fender insulated some of the older cabs. I wonder what a solid wood cabinet with no tolex or insulation would sound like? Too bright and beamy i would think. I will get the dimensions of both cabs. and post them later.