Thread: Neck differences

Neck differences

I have another post asking aboutthe 62 reissue that hasn't found any answers yet about the various differences. I can deal with that but my main concern is that I already own an Am.Deluxe strat that I absolutely love the neck on I think it's a 9.5 radius. I see where the Am.62 reissue is a 7.5 raius. I'm wonering how much of a different feel it is between the two. I've played LP's most of my life and have just gotten used to the strat this last year,and I really don't want to get something that is night and day different. Thanks for any help.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Re: Neck differences

hi john,there is a difference in playability and bends are easier on larger radius necks,BUT if the axe is set up well then a 62 will still play great..the only real answer is to try a 62,..and fretboard radius was never a problem for ec,jimi etc..

TFF Stage Crew

Definitely a different feel--significantly different I'd say.

But... not bad different. mrh is exactly right. A good setup will make it just as playable. No matter how good the setup is, your fingers will feel like they're "running into" the other strings much more quickly when you do bends high on the neck, but that's easy to get used to. Again: a good setup makes it just as playable. Plus, you'll probably also notice some benefits--playing full barre chords low on the neck (and even some open chords) feel way more comfortable.

In my opinion, the difference in neck shape (C versus V versus U, etc.) is much more relevant to personal taste in necks than radius. I think most of the AmDx Strats are C shape, although I know they make at least one with V-shape. 62RI is also C shape.

Thank you both very much. I'm not trying to be overly paranoid about it; it's just that I've got 2 beautiful Lp Standards that I don't even touch anymore since I got the Am.Dlx strat. I bought the strat as a "far down the pecking order" guitar, and it's so enjoyable to play, that I just don't have any desire to play the LP's anymore. As much as I want a 62 reissue; I want something that won't feel like I'm switching from apples to oranges as is the case with the LP's. I never though anything would take the place of my LP's but as I've already said."the strats are awesome".
    John Sr.

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

take a look at the Eric johnson Strat. I have a LP and an EJ strat. It is an easy conversion from one to the other. big beefy neck and a 12" radius.

Forum Member

I am currently playing an AV 62 "Thin Skin" model. It has the same radius, but the frets are taller. I found that it is very comfortable, but it is easier to dig in when bending the strings. In general, I find it a little easier to play then the regular 62 reissues. However, I find the 62 reissue more comfortable than the modern strats, because that is what I have gotten used to. I don't know if this helps any, but there it is. Good luck!