Thread: finally getting a home studio together...

finally getting a home studio together...

so i bought one of these http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10059 (for a better price though)

and i bought one of these http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...29&itemid=4893

i have a P.O.D. and a 57 sitting at the house. since i live in an apartment the P.O.D. is really the only choice i have for recording guitars. but hey, it's only a home studio to do rough sketches with. the external hard drive is going to be uberkool cause i can take the stuff i've recorded at home and dump it into the computer at my friend's pro studio. that way we can listen to it and do it for real.

i have a full length album of original material that we plan on recording and releasing within the next couple of months. so this rig is just for preproduction.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Re: finally getting a home studio together...

Sweet! Good luck, Chuck.
    s'all goof.

Gravity Jim

Alright for you, dude!

Let us know if you have any issues... I've had every conceivable digital problem, as recently as last week.

You'll like that mBox... very simple design... does exactly what it's designed to
    "Fool me once, shame on..... shame on me... fool me twice... shame on ... shame on... IF YOU GET FOOLED ONCE YOU CAN'T GET FOOLED AGAIN".-Our Good bud George W.

thanks guys.

i actually studied digital recording in college, and did that for several years. i had gotten out of it and now am getting back into it. so i asked my buddies who record what i should look for. i know there are other routes i could have taken, but i've worked a lot on pro tools and feel comfortable doing so.

as for the digital issues, i know i'm going to encounter some. but luckily my roommate is a recording engineer along with my buddy John, both work at the studio i talked about.

the parts should be showing up next week, and i should have it together and hopefully running the week after that.

i still need to get a little mixer board so i can monitor and not have to deal with latency. but overall i think this little rig should work out nice.

i'll let ya'll know how it goes.

hard drive came today, haven't had a chance to look at it though. still waiting on the mbox.

the m box has landed!

now i'm just waiting on one big box, and a little box to arrive. we should be go for launch any day now!

Did you figure out if you're going to go with a little mixer? I can't exactly claim this is a hi-fi option, but my little Behringer was dirt cheap and has been a godsend when it comes to taming the wires and sending a signal to the monitors. Best $40 I ever spent in terms of problem-solving:
    http://www.behringer.com/UB802/index.cfm?lang=ENG

GC almost always has them in stock. I run the L-R audio outs of a Pod (and practically everything else) into it and then send it to the Mbox.

everything came today, but it's too late to do anything with it. work has been crazy this week. hopefully i'll get to setting it up real soon.

clayville,

i actually decided to go with a little soundcraft board. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=630925 i've used the behringer, my buddy has one, and liked it pretty good for what it is. but i thought for a couple more bucks i might get something a little better. if it's really that much better we'll see.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    if it's really that much better we'll see.
    Even without putting my hands on the Soundcraft, I would expect better pots and quieter mic pres than the Behringer (no slap at Behringer owners intended).

None taken. Wouldn't take much to beat my $39 mixer/switch box! That one looks like it'll do the job Chucko.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Even without putting my hands on the Soundcraft, I would expect better pots and quieter mic pres than the Behringer (no slap at Behringer owners intended).
    i've used quite a few soundcraft boards when i was doing live sound and always thought they made a good product. the pots feel very positive, and it sounds decently transparent with the eq's set flat. for a hundred bucks it seems like a heck of a deal.

right now i'm listening to my edirol monitors, and i'm enjoying them. i don't know about how flat they are, but i've been listening to songs i know really well and they seem to have good imaging/seperation and sound "clear". we'll see how good they are when i start mixing. so far chucky likes.

Come on, chuckobunny...

Shoot me a freebie.

*smooch*
    Shine your light.

I can't overemphasize the importance of buying a quality condenser, when it comes time to do that. I bought a $100 entry-level mic, and I got what I paid for. It's OK, but the detail and breathiness are not there. I'm thinking of getting something in the $250-$299 range, as a step up (heck, we can't ALL have Neumans - or even my current fave, my friend's Dragonfly) but the condenser mic and a good mic pre are like the choke point in recording...if you don't have either, your vocals are gonna suffer, big time.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."