Thread: Seems I'm determined to blow up my DeVille....

Seems I'm determined to blow up my DeVille....

OK, so last week I was using the DeVille 212 as a bass amp and somehow I didn't manage to blow anything up. Sounded OK, even!

This week, I've tried using the DeVille as a headphone amp since I've got young'uns in the house trying to sleep while I play and my Kustom practice amp sounds like crap compared to the DeVille.

I disconnected the speakers via the 1/4" jack at the back and routed the signal from the preamp out connection into my mixing board. I did this knowing that there would be no load on the amplifier but I wanted to experiment. I got about 30-40 minutes of playing in before the power tubes got REALLY hot. I fired the amp up a few hours later and all seems OK.

I know I'm running the risk of at least killing some tubes, maybe the transformer (?) doing this. I'd like to keep doing this but I would not like to kill the amp completely.

Is there a way to put a mock load on the amp but not having sound come out of the speakers???

DD

Re: Seems I'm determined to blow up my DeVille....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog
    OK, so last week I was using the DeVille 212 as a bass amp and somehow I didn't manage to blow anything up. Sounded OK, even!

This week, I've tried using the DeVille as a headphone amp since I've got young'uns in the house trying to sleep while I play and my Kustom practice amp sounds like crap compared to the DeVille.

I disconnected the speakers via the 1/4" jack at the back and routed the signal from the preamp out connection into my mixing board. I did this knowing that there would be no load on the amplifier but I wanted to experiment. I got about 30-40 minutes of playing in before the power tubes got REALLY hot. I fired the amp up a few hours later and all seems OK.

I know I'm running the risk of at least killing some tubes, maybe the transformer (?) doing this. I'd like to keep doing this but I would not like to kill the amp completely.

Is there a way to put a mock load on the amp but not having sound come out of the speakers???

DD
    Check out what Weber offers (www.tedweber.com) they make some loads that would work well for what you want to do. You'll want to get a load rated at atleast 50watts.

I would not do what you are doing (no load) it could be a very expensive repair when the OT goes out.
    It's all about Tone!!

Buy a Pandoras box PX4.
    Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull$hit attached. - E.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonedog
    I would not do what you are doing (no load) it could be a very expensive repair when the OT goes out.
    You'll probably also need to replace the tube sockets, screen resistors, and output tubes. I'd guess an hour of tech time, and well over $100.

As the others said, Weber's got a number of attenuators, and a "Headphone Tap." A headphone amp is also not a bad idea.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I kind of doubt anything's gonna' make phones sound quite right plugged into the amp. They may make it safer, but I doubt what you'll hear will have the sensation of amp sound.

A headphone amp eliminates the need to even touch the amp, and you can use it in any room in the house.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Well, I've got an Alesis desktop mixer that I use as the "headphone amp" but the signal that I get from plugging my guitar+fx directly into the board is horrid - as is the signal I get from the line out and headphone out from my Kustom practice amp.

I've played around with the guitar POD and can't say I'm crazy about the tone or lack thereof.

I've also got a notebook-based digital recording solution (Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro v.3) with the IK Multimedia Amplitude plug-in that I have resorted to in the past, but it's just not, like, you know, organic tone....

I was thinking it was my headphone/mixer setup that was lacking, but when I plugged the DeVille in with the preamp out signal - WOW - there was The Tone!

Maybe it's just time to renovate my garage........or get the kids to move out....

So, still looking. Don't really want to invest 100's of dineros in a powersoak. Couple of possible options with commercial dummy load solutions.

Don't worry - I've taken the warnings to heart and will not run the amp without a load!!!

DD

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Buy a Pandoras box PX4.
    +1
    All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players ...

Well, I experimented tonight with a couple of different configs with my gear - got my SparkleDrive running into my Alesis board - having tweaked the trim and gain setting on the board and tone and volume on the pedal - plus dialing in a nice fat reverb on the board - I'm liking what I hear so far. I'm using headphones off the board. I'm thinking my 15 year old Sony cans are due for replacement soon, though.

Sounds pretty good and no chance of killing amplifiers in the process.

I guess I'll have to figure out another experiment for the DeVille for next week. Never a dull moment in the DirtDog house!

Thanks for the input dudes....

DD

Aside - after looking at low power amps, I'm intrigued by the Little Lanelie and the Z.Vex nano.....hmmm....