Thread: American Vintage

Forum Member

American Vintage

Anybody have an American Vintage 52 Tele?
    I'm looking at the stats for it and I cant figure out why someone would go Custom Shop if they're correct (ash body, nitro finish, butterscotch blonde, period correct hardware).

Are these a good buy?
    I'm considering getting one and then slowly replace the parts (over a few years) with vintique ones.

Any opinions?

Forum Member

"Ya think Joan Baez can really be objective?"

FP,

I have had four pre-AmV & just one Am Vintage '52 RIs. While the appointments on the latter were nicer (body grain; less neck lacquer), I prefer the punch of the pre-AmVs. But, that's not really a very scientific conclusion. It's possible that the 2001 was a dog; as is possible with any git/any year, I suppose.

That said, I currently have three '97s; copper, black and guts installed in a MIM Tele that I plan to put into a Natural Swamp Ash body. Foolishly sold an early '98 (pre AmV, also) when I bought the Am Vintage (gone, too). Probably should've swapped out the electronics of those two before selling, but...

So, I've owned just one of the current version and was somewhat disappointed with it. Conversely, I've had 4 of the others and am digging/dug them all. FWIW.

With admitted bias, l still think this git is Fender's best production model. I'd buy a used one, tho; much better value. ;)

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    I'm played quite a few '52 Am. V.s and have found them to be nice guitars. I'm a fan of the '62 Tele Custom. I like the rosewood (for a change) on them. I have one in C.A.R. and LOVE it! Best sounding tele that I've played. :)

That, and my blonde tele.

There are 3 Teles that are alot alike.

The CS 51 Nocaster
    The USA 52ri
    The MIM 50's Classic Tele

They all have solid ASH body and maple necks the MIM 50's Classic and Nocaster have the biggest necks the 52ri's have thinner neck profiles.

Because of the too thin neck and its sticky lacquer finish I dont like the 52ri as much as the 50's Classic or CS Nocaster.

I know 35-40 people who went guitar shopping for Teles and played the 52ri's and the 50's Classic and ended up buying the 50's Classic because of 2 reasons. Its 1/2 the price of the 52ri and is alot more comfortable to play because of the poly finished neck and its bigger profile makes it easier to bend too.

Play em all before you make your final decision cause there are some fantastic MIM guitars out there for $550-600 new that are all you will ever need.

Forum Member
    Yeah, but, but, laquer LOOKS cool! ;)

Forum Member
    My 52RI is a 2000 model. I like it a lot. I changed mine to modern wiring. Fender includes instructions and parts for this with the guitar.
    Some people have a hard time adjusting to the small vintage frets, and the 7.25" fretboard radius, but this is not a problem for me.
    The neck on mine gets a little sticky but that's not a big problem. You ask,"Are these a good buy?" IMO, Yes! One of the best Teles available today.

Forum Member
    I'll give the MIM a try, but I refuse to buy into Fender's CS BS. The Tele is far too simple a guitar to require a Custom Shop version. All that matters are the electronics right.

Forum Member
    Those frets and the radius issues are killers. The new strat was ordered with a 12" radius, Am. Std. frets, and a 1 11/16" nut. Ahh, the best of both words! ;)

Forum Member
    Even though it's simple, the laquer still makes a big tone difference, especially as it ages.

burst_king The 52ri's dont really age like an all nitro finished guitar. They have a poly undercoat and poly basecoat and 2 nitro topcoats.

The Custom Shop Nocasters have an all nitro finish that does breathe like an original old one does. Thats really what your paying more for on the CS models. The hardware and pickups on the 52ri and Custom Shop models is almost identical just the ohm readings and baseplate of the bridge pickup differ.

The MIM 50's Classic is all poly with a ping bridge and tuners and its bridge pickup doesnt have a baseplate sorta thin sound.

Alot of people just buy the 50's Classic put in a set of the 52ri pickups or their favorite brand and basicly end up with the same thing.

go for the 52 RI bro, I had the MIM 50's and to me the 52 beats it everytime. It just seemed that the 50's had very soft fret material, I don't know if anyone else experienced that. anyway look how cool this one is

http://pic3.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1...8/11069911.jpg

Does anyone know if the new '52 reissues have a bigger neck? I had a '52 r.i. from '97 that had a pretty thin neck.

Forum Member
    My '62 Tele Custom RI's neck is on the thin side, normal for a tele though.

Marcondo, I see your point. However, my Am. Vintage. '62 RI has an all nitro finish. I can feel it under my arm much the same way you can feel it on an LP or my new strat. Just a though... :)

The 52ri's made from 1999 till present have a bigger neck than the ones made from 1982-1999. But its still too thin as compared to a real 52 Tele.

Originally posted by Marcondo
    burst_king The 52ri's dont really age like an all nitro finished guitar. They have a poly undercoat and poly basecoat and 2 nitro topcoats.

The Custom Shop Nocasters have an all nitro finish that does breathe like an original old one does. Thats really what your paying more for on the CS models. The hardware and pickups on the 52ri and Custom Shop models is almost identical just the ohm readings and baseplate of the bridge pickup differ.

The MIM 50's Classic is all poly with a ping bridge and tuners and its bridge pickup doesnt have a baseplate sorta thin sound.

Alot of people just buy the 50's Classic put in a set of the 52ri pickups or their favorite brand and basicly end up with the same thing.
    Marcondo,

You hit the nail on the head! What good is Nitro, if they put it on top of urethane? I never did understand whay the hell they did 'em that way... The finish on the American Vintage Re-Issue guitars makes no sense at all... I've owned them, and they play ok, but why would you ever pay over a grand for that kind of finish, when you can get an all nitro finish for just a few hundred more....... It's a no brainer...

Spend the extra bucks and get the 51 Nocaster. An "ALL" nitro makes all the difference in the world - especially if you're gonna keep the guitar. Urethane/poly does not age, does not brethe, does not let the wood "season" like a "real" nitro finish does...

It's no contest!
    Don't you know that it's a fool that plays it cool...

Forum Member
    Ooohhhhhhhhh, I see, I misread the post.

Hmm, interesting... Damned Fender! :)spin

People with the American Vintage series always think they are all Nitro but they are NOT. I have refinished several and its so easy to tell its a polybasecoat polyundercoat.

I've also had people who work for Fender tell me they are not all nitro just the top finish coats are nitro. So if there is some checking and finish sinking on the AV series its just the top coats of the lacquer underneath its solidly sealed in a plastic tomb just like a laminated drivers license is sealed in plastic.

Forum Member
    Mr Z,
    I think Fender did start making the 52ri necks a little bigger starting around 99/2000..

Choosing a guitar you want to put aftermarket pickups and hardware in is just a matter of personel taste....I think all the Telecaster models mentioned would make a fine candidate for Bardens and the Vintique hardware.
    It just depends on what you want.

I also think there is enough diff in the feel/tone and the attention to detail to easily justify the added upcharge of the Time Machine Custom Shop guitars........same as the Gibson Historics over the standard production........

The way I understand it is that the Custom Shop does use poly on some models.
    But NONE of the Time Machines use poly.
    The only one of the Time Machine's that uses hardener-based undercoat "urethane" is the '69 Strat.
    The other Time Machines use homoclad "a penetrating sealer",nitro sanding sealer,nitro color,and nitro top-coats.

Forum Member

"Inquiring minds want to know!"

My understanding is...more limited on nitro-cellulose than I previously figured; that's why I edited this post. :lol2
    Last edited by Preztone; 07-28-2002 at 12:41 AM.

Forum Member
    Hmm, Gibson still uses it as well. My new strat (C.S.M.B.) has an all nitro finsh; body and neck. The EPA never banned using nitro, however, they did impose some (rather) strict guide-lines.

Forum Member
    I've got a 96 copper 52ri. around 2000 the "skunk strip" on the back of the neck cracked and started popping out so Fender replaced the neck with one of the new style necks. Best thing that ever happened to the guitar. The new neck is a lot fatter and rounder and the guitar has more tone and sustain. To me the fatter neck plays better, too.