Thread: Cheap(er) 5 string basses...

Cheap(er) 5 string basses...

OK, the Kap'n has alerted me to the fact that the low B on a cheaper 5 string bass can sound like "poo" (I think that was the technical term used.) So what's good and what's not so good in the less expensive 5 strings in your experience?

-Mark

Re: Cheap(er) 5 string basses...

Sorry, I can't help you here. The only 5 string I have is an American Deluxe 5 String Jazz. The B string kicks ass. The only other 5 string that I liked was the Yamaha Attitude 5 string. Most of the cheaper 5 strings I looked at had a very narrow neck, like trying to put 5 strings on a 4 string neck, the two that I mention here have a wider, thinner neck, which is easier to play, IMHO.

http://www.basslessons.com/webboard/messages_2a/3061.html

Here is a pretty good link to describe the differences.
    Last edited by FenderBender; 08-06-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.

TFF Stage Crew

I have a MiM "Deluxe Active Jazz Bass" that sounds great. It was around $600.

Very nice!
    Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.

I'd suggest listening to a few of them and judging for yourself. Not to take anything from Kap'n, but different strokes for different folks.
    Often times, even on the cheaper instruments, a change of string, and maybe a pickup change will help.
    I've found that for the lower end stuff, the better ones stock are the ones with active or semi-active electronics. The MIM active like PCs is good, Ibanez does a good job on their SR 400 (I think...) and up models.
    Anything by Yamaha is good.

Peavey makes some real nice basses too......

and

maybe Mikey still likes that thing he got.......

What was it Mikey? (as Frank eggs him on........)
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Yeah, that SX five string.
    Still got it, still play it, still love it.
    A real good buy at Rondo.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Forum Member

i' got 400swiss francs (app.330 usd) "Crazy Guy" 5-string and that's a very great machine, does anybody know about (factory, types and dates)?

The SDGR Ibanez make some pretty good 5'ers I had a SDGR 405 for a number of yrs & used to get many compliments on the sound of her! the Low B was pretty good too- not sloppy & was good for all styles of music!
    Rod

Forum Member

My bass player and i went to guitar center today for their labor day sale and he got a sunburst w/ tortise shell gaurd 5 string deluxe active jazz bass for $565 it sounds awsome.
    My Band: Tabula Rasa

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!!!!!!!

When I was looking for a 5, I felt sure I wanted a Fender. After playing the J-bass 5x and an Ibanez SR405 side by side, the Iban won and came home.

And FWIW, *any* five-banger takes time to get used to. String spacing and the fact that the low string is not an E just gave me fits at first. But my '73 precision (4x) is still my lover...

-H

I was playing 5-strings at GC the other day and the Schecters with the 35'' scale had great sounding B strings. The one I tried was about $600. I think the longer scale helps with 5 and 6 strings.

Bass Guitar magazine did a shootout on midpriced 5's and really liked MTD. If you can still find a Music Man SUB5 you might wish to give that a serious listen as well. Both B's are rock solid and you can be certain that Mike Tobias and Sterling Ball will each be at the other end of the phone if you ever run into problems with one of their instruments.

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere

Don't forget to check out G&L L2500 Tribute basses. Those things ROCK! I haven't touched my other basses in favor of it in about a month. (I have a MIA Fender Jazz Deluxe, Spector Euro ReBop, and a modded Squier P-bass (first bass :) ))

Peavey BXP Millenium looks and sounds good. I also like the looks, and price of ESP's LTD B55.

Forum Member

the 35" scale really does make the 5 and 6 string i have a yamaha john myung signature (the first one not the new one) which has a long neck the B string sounds great as does the rest of the bass.. blows away sound gears when compared side my side and plays awesome if you don't slap much, since its fitted on a 5 string neck. you can pick one up for 500 or so on ebay. for that price nothing can beat it

Forum Member

Im pretty much a four string bass player, but when I played in a band we did a couple of songs that required me getting a five string bass. I tried a few and finally went with a Warwick Corvette Pro-Line 5.

I think when buying a five string bass you need to search a little harder for the right one. The "fundamental" of the low B is very important, thats why I went with the Warwick with active electronics. It worked well for me, I bet I tried at least a dozen passive 5's and didnt care for any of them.

Anyone tried the Lakland Skyline (Korean model) 55-01 as a comparison? Impressions?

-Mark

I've got a Washburn T-25 Taurus that I like pretty well. The model I have is a prototype with active pickups. The model they sell has passive p'ups (J-J style I think). Anyway, here's a review...

http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/show...uct/770/cat/13

And here's a place you can get one cheap...

http://www.accentmusic.com/details.php?productID=72331

With the actives, I can get all kinds of sounds, but I'm sure the J styles would sound good too. Good luck!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

I know some aren't that good ;-( but the Squier Standard Precision 5 str. I got is A BEAUTY!!!! Tite crisp sound outta the Stock pups- I changed the pots to CTS & it's got a mean growl to the E & B strings! I've tried other's of the same model & none seem 2 be as good as this one..... But if there's ONE there MUST be other good 'uns out there!
    Its gotta be all tube 4 me - GOTTA!

I ended up getting this guy: a Lakland 55-02 deluxe (the quilt top makes it a deluxe, apparently):

The thing about these guys is that have a slightly longer scale (35" vs 34"), and also have a through body stringing option, which is all helpful in overcoming the "poo B" effect, as originally described by the Kap'n.

Not exactly in the cheap category, though -- these guys go for about $1000 even second hand.

Thanks for all the comments.

-Mark

Just put some new strings on this guy... replaced a set of D'Addarios with a set of Laklands own brand of string. Did it "through body" stringing style (the bridge design allows you to do either).

_Much_ improved tone, balance and feel. Many more tonal variations and possibilities have become apparent as well. Interesting how much difference string choice can make on these guys...

-Mark

congrats. i think strings are a huge part of a good sounding guitar. i finally broke down and bought some martins for my acoustic, it had been 6 months since the last string change...i have a gig on saturday with it.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Nice choice. I just picked up a NOS 2005 Yamaha TRB-1005 for 600.