Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I know if I have good sustain?

Re: How do I know if I have good sustain?

That's a pretty ignorant post for someone so scientific.

Single frequency?! There are reasons that a guitar doesn't sound like a flute.

I don't know about how much sustain is best but I sure know when there isn't enough sustain. Like just pluck a string and it doesn't ring very well like it's binding up in the nut maybe or the saddle isn't right. I hate that.

Once my beautiful Strat didn't sustain like it used to. I was sad. Then I loosened the string and looked at the nut. Almost didn't see it but a little bit of lint was stuck in there and sucked the sustain living life right out of it.

Gee Wilco, that was harsh. Let's all respect each other. I have a more than passing knowledge of resonance and harmonics since it's a big problem in rocket motors. It leads to what we call "screaming instabilities".

But if I'm ignorant, please enlighten me and don't call me names. A flute sounds different as you obviously know, because it has a standing half-wave of air resonating within it, isn't that correct, or did I miss something?

Nice thing is, we can all agree to disagree and respect other opinions. Tell you what, emotions seem to be running high so I'm going to lay low. No problems guys. Your all my buds whether we agree or not. I'd hate to see one thread turn us at each other's throats. I respect you guys too much for that to happen.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I wouldn't get on anyone's throat. Sorry, I did edit out the dismissive word.

I use the word ignorant in it's purest form. Your well reasoned post was long, yet "ignored" some of it's own points.

The difference between a flute and a guitar are exactly the elements that you so heartily dismissed as to why one could be concerned about what his/her guitar sounds like. Extra sounds lingering in the "resonant frquency".

These all make the "voice" or "timbre" of an instrument. While I totally understand the desire to treat an electric guitar so differently as to limit it to the role of a control voltage, the fact is, the type of voltage coming from an electric guitar can vary drastically. Exploiting these differences is what leads many to find different types of guitar construction. These differences can alter the coloration, attack, sustain, and decay time of the guitar voltage.

A good way to see the difference is to compare electric guitars. While many (as yourself) argue that an electric guitar only sounds like the amp it's played through, let's consider the alternatives. A Les Paul, a Dan electro, and an L-5CES all sound very different through the same amp. One of these guitars may make a great starting point for some of the tones in your clips. One of these guitars might not.

Now, if we can agree that there are, indeed, differences in how these guitars all drive a chain of processors, we can agree that two stratocasters of different builds/resonance/woods, etc. might drive that same chain differently.

When you're not overruled.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

isn't it odd/peculiar/funny how *experts* can disagree?

is that what they call a connundrum?

seriously posted with love and affection,
    xoxoxoxoxo
    Imanidiot.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by TT100
    When you're not overruled.

TT

(Okay, granted, I'm a lawyer, but that was still just really funny.

Wellllllllll, I was gonna post here, but it looks like you guys pretty much got it all wrapped up....lol

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    I am also the God Of Hellfire.
    Imanidiot.

The sustain of this thread is currently 55 posts.

Whether or not it resonates, well...

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    The sustain of this thread is currently 55 posts.

Whether or not it resonates, well...

It sure got plenty of feedback...

Ask Nigel Tufnel...shhhhhhh, you hear that?
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!