Thread: Callaham trem block: a report

Gravity Jim

Callaham trem block: a report

Just finished installing a Callaham Vintage Repro tremolo block in the chambered mahogany Strat-style guitar I call the Zencaster. As many of you know, I love this instrument, regard it as a lifetime guitar, and have spent many years tweaking it a little here and bit there.

I didn't take the time to do the new strings/record/install block/restring/record again test i was toying with. I decided that I know the guitar well enough to dispense with the extra time and just go for it.

So, here's the feedback:

It's worth $55. The guitar's feel changed dramatically, getting "tighter" or maybe less delicate is a better term. Unplugged, you could feel and hear the improvement in sustain and harmonic content right away... Lisa was sitting at the table with me as I brought it up to pitch, and hitting the open "A" (with the guitar laying on a double thickness of towel) made her say, "Jeez! I can feel that in my elbows!" It did make the entire table resonate with the note.

I've always bragged about the Zencaster's remarkable resonance and sustain, but this actually improved it.

Plugged in, it just plain sounds better... richer, maybe? For some reason, it also seems harder to "overplay" a string (I guess this is what I was trying to say with that "tighter" and less delicate stuff above).

This is the "it's been in for five minutes and I'm loving it" post, so obviously I've got to spend more time with it, but at this point I'm a convert. There iwould seem to be no doubt that replacing a cast zinc block with the Callaham cold rolled steel block makes a huge positive difference in a Stratocaster. Amazing... I would not have believed it if I hadn't tried it.

Now to finish the set-up chores and get this race car runnin'.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Callaham trem block: a report

Callaham is the real deal for sure. Glad you like yours as much as I like my Tele bridge.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Hmmmmm...

I put the whole Callaham bridge on my Hwy1. The original MIM Classic vintage style bridge had a zinc block and was otherwise pretty low quality.

I was very impressed, not only by the sound and sustain. I also like Callaham's trem arm hole with it's snug Delrin bushing for the trem arm. I'm finally completely happy with a traditional Strat bridge.

It really completed the guitar.

Double hmmmm, may have to take some measurements & figure out which Callaham will fit my MIM Vintage 60s Player Strat. Haven't got that one quite up to where I want it yet...

Gravity Jim

pc, it is the real deal. This is really something.

Don, the trem arm hole is a nice little bonus. I like it when things feel like they were engineered "right," and that's just a nice touch. BTW, mine was exactly two ounces heavier than the zinc block, just like yours. The new block is 10 ounces, the old one 8... I'm guessing your reported 12 ounce/14 ounce weights were for the whole bridge.

If your Vintage PLayer has a zinc bridge, go for it, Gris. I can't speak to the advantages of the Callaham over the current "sintered" steel blocks from Fender, but if a magnet won't stick to the block in your guitar, then order one right now.

Thanks for the great burfday present, ya'll. :)

All very interesting. Putting this together with my recent Wilkinson (zinc-block version) trem upgrade, I'd say the the newer MIM Standard Strat "heavier block" trem is probably nothing to get excited about, unless the material has been changed to steel (which seems unlikey).

The new block on the Wilko trem I put in was probably about twice the mass of the stock unit it replaced, but tonal differences were marginal at best. It would seem if you want a difference in tone, simply adding more zinc isn't going to do much.

-Mark

Gravity Jim

Well, when Lisa and I were talking about why the metal might make a difference, I said, "Would you make a xylophone from powdered zinc?"

Forum Member

I put the entire Callaham bridge assembly in my Custom Shop NOS 65, and the improvement was remarkable. I have no idea what type of metal is the original CS inertia block, but it is painted, and it has the deep string holes. The Callaham block is unpainted and has shallow string holes. (It looks just like the block on the EJ Strat.) The guitar now sounds better and sustains better than it ever did. I've had this guitar for some time, and, while I always liked it, it never really took me away from my Teles. Now, it does. That is saying something when a Strat pulls me away from a Tele.

Forum Member

I need to get my Strat back together. I put in the callaham block and new stainless saddle screws the other day, just haven't put her back together yet. Just the weight and feel of it is impressive, I can't wait to get it strung back up. I'm going through withdrawals, four days with no Strat!

it never really took me away from my Teles. Now, it does...
    THAT is scarey.

Gravity Jim

OK, just one more and then I'll shut up. Now that I've got the guitar set up again (it really only need about a 1/8 of a clockwise turn on the truss rod to bring it back to perfect).... wow. The low open strings just ring like bells, notes in the upper register have a sweetness - a reduced harshness - that is instantly audible. Most notable is much improved string-to-string balance... big chords even with open strings are much more integrated and balanced. Man, am I happy with this. No matter what you play on the guitar, it somehow sounds a bit better.

Maybe next I'll finally install that Earvana nut they sent me a few years back...

Forum Member

I haven't plugged mine in yet but I did get it strung up with a fresh set of 10s. So far I can tell a difference in how the guitar sounds acoustically. I have the bridge set flat against the body now, five springs and the new block. It's louder acoustically and it does seem to hold notes a little better than before. Still doesn't resonate as much as I would like through the body but I think that's more just this guitar than the problem of a couple parts. I'll get it plugged in tomorrow and see how she sounds through an amp.

Remove the paint from the top of the block and polish it a bit.Use some fine steel wool on the bottom of the bridge plate and put it back together you will notice even more improvement.

Gravity Jim

Here's a fresh observation, and I'm wondering how this likely is happening.

Since replacing the block, I have found that the trem - still with the same three springs, and still balanced against the tension of a set of D'Addario XL10s in that Dan Erlewine "tighten the clamp till the block falls out" method - is now slightly stiffer, and that I can rest my hand on the bar while playing without changing pitch. I could never do this before... the trem was so lightly balanced that taking he bar under my hand while playing changed the pitch.

I think I like this a lot better, but here's my question?

I don't think I have the six screws that hold down the bridge any tighter than before... in fact, I thought they might be looser. But is the change possibly due to those screws being tighter? Or do you think that a puny two ounces more metal in the block is enough to make this change?

Forum Member

Jim,

I cant see how two ounces in weight would make a difference. But you did tighten the truss rod a bit. Maybe this affected the overall tension. I would guess the screws being tighter (or looser) would also have an effect.

edited to add:

Maybe the holes for the springs are in a slightly different location (distance wise) than the original, having the same effect as tightening or loosening the claw
    Last edited by JAM; 06-01-2006 at 08:20 AM.

I didn't notice that with mine.
    I like my bridge almost touching the body. I use a sheet of thick paper as a block during initial setup.
    I find that the bridge moves less during double stops the closer it is to the body.

Gravity Jim

Well, that's the other amazing thing... I float mine at 3/32" and the bridge used to be very susceptible to moving when bending strings, but now... hardly any. Almost hardtail stability. It doesn't seem to bind or to be difficult to use... just more stable.

What the...? I just don't see how the heavier weight can do this... I must have it set-up differently somehow.

JAM, you may be right... I'll take a look at the old one and see if the spring retnetion holes are closer to the edge or something.

Forum Member

Hey all,

I was reading this whole post and am happy to hear the unanimous positive feedback on the Callaham, as I am thinking of getting one for my main strat.
    Let me ask you all a question though.
    In my backup strat, I just recently installed a Made by MANN tremelo bride w/ tremelo.
    Can anyone here give me some opinions on this product?
    I'm not trying to hijack the post, but it sure seems that you folks know your bridges and this post seems like the perfect place to ask this question.
    Thank you for your time.
    Best regards,
    Mass

I have not used any of John's bridges on my guitars although there are really nice looking and I have heard great things about them.