Thread: Fender 50's Precision Bass

Fender 50's Precision Bass

Question:

What are the main differences' (other than the obvious) between the Precision and the Jazz Bass guitars?

Re: Fender 50's Precision Bass

Well, the Precision in the 50's started as a slab-bodied, small peghead bass, with a pickguard that extended on both cutaways, and a single coil, 4 polepiece pickup, and two saddle bridge. Through the 50's it transitioned to the P-bass we know today.

Early J-basses had two concentric "stack" knobs, like a Danelectro.

Other than tonal differences, a J bass tends to have a narrower neck than a P-bass.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

P-Basses stay on guitar stands better.

Thanks for the reply - that was a tremendous amount of information - most of which I did not understand due to ignorance of the jargon you were using - it was impressive to say the least. You obviously have a vast knowledge of bass guitars so answer me this, which bass is better - the jazz or the precision?

For me, Precision. A Jazz has too many knobs.

For you, nobody knows but you.

Actually, I don't know shit about bass, just electric instruments in general.

Anyway, here's a Telecaster Bass. Very close to an original P-bass, kind of the first 'reissue' instrument. Under the metal cover is a 4-pole pickup, sort of like 2/3 of a telecaster bridge pickup.

Here's a 'stack knob' Jazz Bass. Each 'knob' is actually two, an outer ring, and an inner knob. Heres a close-up of a concentric knob together and apart.
    orange picks

Kap'n, a Jazz has the same number knobs as a strat - you can figure out a strat can't you. A jazz has three knobs (not a stack knob jazz), a volume for each pickup (the big knobs) and a tone (the little one by the input jack).

I think Jazz basses are a little more versatile than a P-bass (due to the location of pickups - and of course there are two on a Jazz). Many players prefer the skinnier neck on a Jazz also. I can't really comment on the neck because I only own a Jazz.

I like the idea behind the Deluxe P bass though, split pick up in the P position, a Jazz bridge pickup, on a P body with a Jazz neck. How can you go wrong? (Maybe you can as I've yet to play one).

A jazz was good enough for Jaco, but then a P was good enough for Jammerson.

Gravity Jim

bzimm, I love my Deluxe P-Bass. It's a real studio machine, does a little bit of everything real well.

What are the differences? Well, if Kap'n's reply sounded like gibberish to you, then it sounds like you're going to have a hard time understanding the differences. What part of that sounded like 'jargon' to you? You don't know what a pickguard or a cutaway is? "Polepiece?" "Single coil?" I'm not busting your chops; this is basic electric guitar stuff you should know if you're shopping for an instrument.

Which one is better? I dunno... do dogs go to heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by bzimm
    Kap'n, a Jazz has the same number knobs as a strat - you can figure out a strat can't you.
    Yeah, but it's got too many knobs, too.
    orange picks

To be honest Jim, I don't understand the terms you are using, at all. I need an instructional dvd or book that explains these things - i.e., the basic of a bass guitar - I already have Billy Sheehan basic bass and two others but do you have any particular ones you prefer? Also, any suggestions on a dvd for teaching playing technique you would reccomend? I am a beginner bass player and need all the direction I can get. I personally feel the Jazz Bass is best for me. I played every bass guitar at the guitar center in Montgomery, Alabama - I found Fender to be far and away the best, for me. I bought the Fender 24, an Aerodyne and the Geddy Lee signature. I guess the Jazz bass is the one for me - I was just curious about the difference. Thanks for the help Jim and the time.

Gravity Jim

Big C, no need for a DVD... just truck on down to your Fender dealer (or any guitar shop), lay a guitar down on the counter and say, "I dont know the names of all the parts of this instrument... help me learn, won't you?" They'll be happy to, I'm sure.

Or you can start here... http://www.themusicedge.com/moxie/ge...e-guitar.shtml