Thread: Sperzel tuners............never installed any

Sperzel tuners............never installed any

How does someone install the Sperzel locking tuners. I am using them for a Fender spec'd Tele neck.

The box gives you a "Guide Edge" to use. I am thinking that you line the tuner and the stop piece with the holes in the cardboard and use the guide edge to keep everything lined up with the edge of the headstock..............Yes?

I would also think that if you follow that installation "set up" that there is no need to line up all of the tuners at the same time.

I hope this is making sense to someone in the world.........haha

Help me if you can...........

Happy Trails

Re: Sperzel tuners............never installed any

I've fitted them to all of my gits - I didn't use the template supplied but I just measured the gap between the center of the location post and the bit the bushings go into (for lack of better descriptions) on the tuners, gently drew a straight line in pencil down the center of the holes that they're gonna go through and then marked them all off (again gently...), drilled new location holes, wiped the pencil markings off and fitted 'em - no probs... the location posts only serve to stop 'em spinning around and they really only need snugging up a bit... the closer you get to the diameter of the location post with your drill bit the better and for the love of Pete please remember you don't want to go all the way through the headstock so again - gently does it... a little at a time is sufficient until they'll seat properly
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

I've installed Sperzels on around twenty or so electrics. At first I made a template by removing the old tuners and using the side of a pencil lead to creating an 'etching' of the back of the headstock which I would then use for drilling.

Later on, I just bought this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/produc...xst=1&xsr=3421

All my electrics with modern 10mm tuner holes get Sperzels; the rest get Gotoh vintage locking tuners.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

Forum Member

I have not seen the fitting guide supplied with them now but they are quite straightforward to fit. Remove the old tuners, surround the holes with masking tape as shown below, find the centre line and follow the measurements.