Thread: HRD channel switching

Forum Member

HRD channel switching

I'm currently using a midi foot controller with relays (Lexicon MPX R1) to switch the channels on my Hot Rod Deville. I can get it to switch between Clean and More Drive, but I haven't been able to get it to switch to the Drive channel. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wes

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Re: HRD channel switching

An amp tech told me there is a design defect (in the HRDx) that causes that.

my hrdx would switch to more drive with out touching anything but i believe it was the footswitch cable. for some reason the 1/4" male plug was not making right connection. the cable was the one supplied with the amp. im using a monster guitar cable i had for the footswitch now. used this way 3 gigs so far no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Boltino
    I'm currently using a midi foot controller with relays (Lexicon MPX R1) to switch the channels on my Hot Rod Deville. I can get it to switch between Clean and More Drive, but I haven't been able to get it to switch to the Drive channel. Any thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Wes
    My used Deville didn't come with a footswitch so I thought I would use my footswitch from my Peavey Classic 50. I got the same deal as you. I can switch between clean and more drive but can't seem to access the drive setting. I tried stomping both buttons simultaneously, etc. Hmmm...you're not alone with this anomaly

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    This is due to the 470 ohm 5W cement resistors in the +/- 16V supply. R78 and R79 are the infamous components/

These resistors can get hot enough to form cold solder joints; it's recommended to exchange them for 330ohm 5W replacements. This would be characterized by a dry/dull appearance of the solder. A good solder joint should be shiny and clean.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

330 ohms will be even hotter, something like 510 or 560 should be better. Mount these with long leads that raises them off the PCB for better air circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    330 ohms will be even hotter, something like 510 or 560 should be better. Mount these with long leads that raises them off the PCB for better air circulation.
    Really? I was under the impression that more resistance = more heat. Of course, I'm far from a tech...

Oddly, the Deville schematic calls for the 330ohm while the Deluxe calls for the 470. I guess that's due to the different PT? The tap off the PT for the channel switching circuits (that have the 5W resistors) is the same between the two.

The resistors have some silicone sealer underneath them, too.

Well, I'm always learning something here...
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

The voltage drop is determined by the zeners, so a lower value resistor will have greater current going through it.

Forum Member

Boltino - I'm having the exact same issue with a different foot controller. Did yo find a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Are you sure Gris? I mean a design flaw in the HRDx, doesn't sound very likely. I mean Fender wouldn't put out an amp that isn't 100%.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    I mean Fender wouldn't put out an amp that isn't 100%.
    Uh......does the word "Zodiac" have any significance to you?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    The whole HRD series is a design defect. That's why I sold my HRDlx and bought an Egnater Rebel 20. It's been totally flawless.

Forum Member

It was the footswitch at one point causing this issue for me, but it did it another time without a footswitch plugged in, so it was something defective on the board.

I believe my tech said it was leaking goop.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Uh......does the word "Zodiac" have any significance to you?

+1

If you have a look at the schematic you'll find that it's not just a make or break that switches these things - there's a coupla zeners and resistors in the footswitch as well so a straight switch or relay won't switch 'em properly...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......