Thread: Tele: Am Std vs. Vintage steel bridge?

Forum Member

Tele: Am Std vs. Vintage steel bridge?

I have a '99 Am Std Tele ash w/maple neck and was thinking of changing the bridge with a vintage style steel bridge with the 3 brass saddles.

Has anyone done this mod to an Am Std?

Pros & cons?

Also, I think the vintage bridge is a little smaller? If so, and if the mounting holes are already drilled in the body, would'nt that cause the pickup on the vintage bridge to be a little further back on the guitar? How would that affect the sound?

Thx,
    G.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    The American Standard bridge has 3 mounting holes. The vintage has 4. The pickup location will be the same on both bridges. Keep in mind that the intonation will always be a little off with the 3 saddle.

Forum Member

tele bridge

I have switched out a brass one piece bridge recently and installed the original tele bridge (3 saddles).
    It's a toss up on really what you like better. I like the feel of the strings better with the vintage style bridge but for actually gigging I think the flat bridge w/ 6 saddles makes for a more stable rig. Just my humble opinion.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the ideas, but I took a closer look at the two bridges and they are completely different. The through holes for the strings are before the mounting holes on the American Std bridge and they are after the mounting holes on the vintage.

Vintique does make a vintage style bridge for the Am Std, but I think I'll keep the standard on for now.

Thanks again!

G.