Thread: anyone work an anodized pickgaurd?

Forum Member

anyone work an anodized pickgaurd?

I am sorely tempted to countersink the pickup screw holes in a brand new anodized Strat pickguard. I have a hunch the plating will peel, or I'll make some other kind of a mess, so I'm hoping someone here will set me straight or share some insightful experience.
    Thanks in advance for any hints or advice.

Forum Member

countersinks

As long as you have a quality countersink bit that will drill metal, you will be fine. I suggest using a drill press, and just touch the hole to countersink a few times, testing a screw in it until it fits the way you want.
    Last edited by Jim Shine; 07-27-2002 at 04:32 PM.

Forum Member
    I'll give it a whirl, and if I wreck it, it's all your fault :%. Really, though, I am anal enough to use a drill press for everything I do, and metal countersinking bits are what I'd use. I should not be so cheap and spring for the round-head screws, but this is just a '57 reissue. And I'm also anal enough to feel like keeping the appearance PC.
    Thank you for giving me the courage, JS.

Forum Member
    lol..no problem. I have done this many times. It will work perfectly so long as you take your time and keep testing the screw. I prefer the countersunk screws myself.

Another tip for you is to clear coat the pickguard. It makes it feel better under your hands. Plus it is vintage correct (Fender lacquered them in the 50's to help preserve the anodizing). I played anodized pickguards on and off for years and hated the way the grain felt on my fingers. The clear coat makes it feel much better, and if you smooth it, it will prevent dirt from getting in the grain.
    Last edited by Jim Shine; 08-03-2002 at 09:15 AM.