Thread: Guitar pedal for organ sound

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Guitar pedal for organ sound

Following up on previous thread, anybody know a phaser (?) or other pedal that will give a gurgly, organ-like sound to a rhythm guitar...?
    Last edited by pc; 03-13-2006 at 10:17 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: GUITAR PEDAL FOR ORGAN SOUND

On the cheap, the Dunlop Roto-Vibe is really good. I used one for a few years in a band I was in & during breaks people would come up & say, "Where's your keybord player? We heard him from out on the street."
    Nowadays I'm using a Rotosphere but I also have a RotoSIM. The Rotosphere sounds better, but it is a pain to use: It takes 12VAC, & is very noisy unless you use it in an effects loop. Even then there is still some hiss. The RotoSIM is smaller, uses 12VDC, & you can tweak the sound a lot more, adjusting the ramp-up time, the relative horn & tweeter speeds, & even some internal trim pots to get a cool sound. But the Slow setting just isn't as "swirly".

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Guitar pedal for organ sound

I love that sound when it's done right. The Charlie Hunter stuff always blows me away. Aside from the 8-string guitar of course.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I also heard good things about the Univibe. Is it better or entirely different...?

I've got a Rotosphere. I use it without an effects loop and it sounds good. The noise isn't too bad though there is some hiss.
    With it's 12VAC requirement and large footprint, it is kind of a pain to use.

I also have a pre-amp/foot controler to connect my guitar to my real Leslie and it sounds awesome (though my Leslie is down right now. It needs tubes and caps).

If you think the Rotosphere is a pain to use you should try hauling around a 100 pound piece of furniture! Plus you need and AB switch to switch from a real guitar amp to the Preamp and Leslie.

I was shocked when I first heard them both back to back. The Rotosphere more than gets the job done, especially run in stereo through 2 Fender tube amps.

My Leslie will never have to leave my basement (except for maintainance).

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    I also heard good things about the Univibe. Is it better or entirely different...?
    Univibes are cool, but completely different sounding. More Hendrix/Trower where the Leslie and Rotosphere are more Harrison/Clapton/Bad Finger/SRV/Jimi Vaughan...

TFF Stage Crew

I have a Leslie, too, a Model 130 that has been gutted & essentially turned into a Model 16 w/a horizontal spin. I used to haul it around until it was a choice between my & my tone health (my sanity):lol

A bit more than just a pedal, but if you really want your guitar to sound like an organ (in fact, many types), check out the Roland GR-20.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...x?ObjectId=592

I have a Korg AX series multi-fx processor, after some tweaking of the vibrato, sweep filter and phase shifter, I found a nice sound that I've labeled "Swirling" and it's one of my favorite patches. I believe that any of the Korg AX series units could be tweaked for this sound as most have the same parameters and effects. With the expression pedal you can control the speed of the "swirling".
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

http://www.music123.com/Danelectro-C...-i118422.music

Don't laugh, these sound suprisingly good for what you want to do. I have the Dano Vibrato and Tremolo pedals. They sound very good; I just hate the plastic cases.
    Carry On!

John

DLS effects makes some very nice swirly type pedals. http://www.dlseffects.com

I owned their Chorus / Vib pedal at one time. I had to sell to pay some bills but would eventually like to get another one. Though, I really like the look and the reviews of their RotoSim pedal.
    s'all goof.

TFF Stage Crew

An EH Poly Octave Generator paired with a Boss RT-20 makes for a great organ sound.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    Those DLS pedals are phenomenal.

JB

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

TFF Stage Crew

DLS makes the RotoSIM I mentioned in my earlier post. It's a great pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka

I owned their Chorus / Vib pedal at one time. I had to sell to pay some bills but would eventually like to get another one. Though, I really like the look and the reviews of their RotoSim pedal.
    I had a Rotosphere and thought it absolutely killed for that faux leslie/organ sound. I thought it was a little large, it did not have true bypass and it needed its own wallwart so I traded it for the DLS Rotosim. The DLS had the features I wanted, but I just plain did not like the sound of its fast speed compared to the Rotosphere (the slow speed was very nice though). I tweaked for a few weeks and gave up. I miss my Rotosphere terribly, hiss and all.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Phil M
    The DLS had the features I wanted, but I just plain did not like the sound of its fast speed compared to the Rotosphere (the slow speed was very nice though). I tweaked for a few weeks and gave up. I miss my Rotosphere terribly, hiss and all.
    LOL!!! Phil, I emailed you about your RotoSIM when you had it listed on TGP (it had sold already). I ended up getting one off eBay. Right now I have both a Rotosphere & a RotoSIM. My feelings about the DLS seem the opposite of yours: I like the fast speed sound, but not the slow.
    I'm using the Rotosphere a lot since I can reduce noise by patching it through the loop in my Flexi-50. I don't think it would sound as good straight into my '71 Super Reverb.

I was very disappointed with it, but hey, others seem to like it.

I think that Boss RT-20 looks promising as a compromise, but I have yet to hear it (or see one in a store).