Thread: Pink Paisley Teles

Pink Paisley Teles

who knows about these?

are they all MIJ teles, or did they ever make a USA model?

I thought Jimmy Page used one early on, or was that just a tele he'd painted himself?

I think they're pretty funky, would like to get one maybe, but don't know what to look for?

thx!

Forum Member
    basswood bodies with MIJ electronics. I have read that some leave them stock and love them while others swap parts. Depends on one`s ears I guess.

The MIJ Paisley Tele is a copy of Fenders original (covered with wallpaper and lacquered over!) made around 1968-9. There almost certainly will have been at least a custom shop reissue of this as well.

Pages Tele with the Yardbirds/Early Zep was a 59/60 that he "decorated" himself in the style of the day ;)

Forum Member
    These (and the blue floral ones) were available in the states in the 80's and 90's as MIJ. Used they were selling in the $425 area.

Fender USA quit importing them awhile back so sellers were hyping them as a discontinued and no longer available = rare and valuable, but people were still able to order them directly from Fender Japan during this period.

The price shot up during this time for the 80's and 90's MIJ and people were trying to get $800-$900 for them.

Recently as of spring NAMM Fender started selling them again in this country in 200 guitar batches. These are now selling for around $500.

They have not been made in the states since the original run in 68'-69'. There has never been a Custom Shop paisley Tele available as a stock item.

Recent interest in these seems to be driven by Brad Paisley's use of one.
    Last edited by Jim barth; 07-27-2002 at 08:02 AM.

Forum Member
    These were made in 68-69 era. Blue Floral and Pink Paisley. The originals were done with a contact paper and clear lacquer over them. The original turs to a golden, orange type with a faint yellow mixed in. Everyone has certain felings about them, as to how they look on stage ect. The bottom line is the sound. Brad Paisley kick with one thru his Dr. Z. amps. Marty Stuart uses em and so does Jim Burton. and So do I . I like em.

never heard of brad paisley.....apt name though, no wonder he uses one!!

I had a chance to buy one a few years ago & passed, kinda regretted it but haven't seen one since. I think they look funky.

thx a lot for the info!

James Burton used to play one of the originals when he was playing with Elvis! Personally, I think they're way cool, but the necks have too thick a finish on them!

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    The original wall paper ones were cool. I also like the one-off that Fender did. They carved the paisly out bronze I think. Cool guitar, heavy as shit!

Forum Member

pink paisley teles

I picked up an 86 MIJ model. Relaced all the electronics with american[Jim Rolph Pickups]
    Also went to the three saddle brass bridge setup.
    Very nice Tele!

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Amen with the Rolphs! I should try his single-coils... :)

Forum Member
    I have seen Fender USA custom shop paisley versions recently in the Japanese magazines. The natives see whats going on in the states with the MIJ paisleys and I guess shops figure they can sell US custom shops to the Japanese because I don`t think the MIJ paisleys sell well here. Japanese will however pay almost anything for a US made guitar. I have a US custom shop version of the Keith tele and was told by Fender USA that it was made for the Japanese market to Yamano`s specs not Keiths. Yamano is the Japanese importer of FenderUSA guitars. An outstanding guitar I`d like to add.

Forum Member
    Sneaky, that's interesting that the Custom Shop may be making US paisley Tele's to export to Japan because to the best of my knowledge a paisley Tele has never been offered as a Custom Shop model which could be purchased in the states.

Forum Member
    Fender USA is also selling what they call the Thin Lacquer series over here. Because they have J W Blacks name attached to them they sell for about $1500~1700 US. Then theres the MIM line called Vintage Player. Staggered tuners, shielded cavities, Texas special pups, and nice colors and they sell for $900 US. A bit high for MIM`s I think.
    Not unusual for Fender USA to make custom shop guitars for Japan. I see them every month in the magazines. Gibson does the same...oh yeah, they carry custom shop prices too.

JohnK

Don't think that Brad Paisley will

be too closely associated to a CS or Sig. model. He has a great tech, Bill Crook from Moundsville, W Va do all his stuff. Recently built him a cobalt blue paisley to the specs of his real '68.

Anyway, who needs those overpriced pieces from the CS anyway...imho.

Forum Member

pink paisley tele

uh-oh!.... I was TOLD mine is an 86' reissue.
    it has a made in japan sticker on the heel of the neck, under the lacquer.
    serial number on the bridge plate is AO 49638.
    It does not look like walltex to me. more like a silk screened like paisley pattern with a lacquer coat over it. Almost a "pearlescent" color pink.

I just got a new one

And it is a very nice Tele. Lightweight, not one finish flaw. And sounds like a twangy Tele.

Only problem is, I don't like twang, so I'm looking into replacement pups and electronics.

Forum Member
    Johnny, i really worry about you- 'vintage' amp crates, pink paisley teles. what's next? santa Claus Socks in August?>

You know

I'm staring at this pink guitar last night and I say to myself:
    "Why the Fuck did you buy this?"
    Talk about an impulse buy.
    I mean, its a beautiful guitar, but I think I am sick of it already.
    If there wasn't a problem with the MIM 50s Daphne Blue Strat I played the same day, I would have gotten the Strat.

And you know what else?

I took the amp off the crate last night because I was playing in a different part of the room, and the stupid amp SOUNDED BETTER ON THE FLOOR.

This is gonna be a tough week.

On the bright side, I have tried a few new beers this week that I really like.

Forum Member

Re: You know

Originally posted by Johnnytone
    I'm staring at this pink guitar last night and I say to myself:
    "Why the Fuck did you buy this?"

You wanted one that glowed in the dark right? And it matches your favorite pair of flannel pj's with the feet and the flap on the butt?

I took the amp off the crate last night because I was playing in a different part of the room, and the stupid amp SOUNDED BETTER ON THE FLOOR.

Funny you should say that, because I ususally play my Gibson amp on the floor, but over the weekend I put it on a bench about 15 inches up off the floor- and IT sounds better. Go figure.

On the bright side, I have tried a few new beers this week that I really like.

Always gotta have an upside.

Forum Member

Hey Ed !

Did You say Gibson Amp?
    What do you have?
    I have a Ranger GA 55-RVT.

How to tell date of paisley tele without taking off neck?

I just found a pink paisley tele here in local shop here is Japan and was wondering how would i go about determining the year of it without taking off the neck. Are there serial numbers on the neck plate? If there are, can this help in determining what year it is? If there are serial numbers on the neck plate, and it does say what year it is, what is the format? (example DDMMYY ?????)

I just saw a glimpse of it in the back and am going back tomorrow to get a better look.

Thanks in advance guys,
    Dana
    My Gear:
    Tokai Love Rock LS200
    Orville LP Custom - Ebony
    ART SGX 2000 Express, X-15 Ultrafoot
    Crate GFX 212T
    Tobias 5 String Deluxe Bass

Forum Member
    I just got one recently. I do a Cheap Trick Tribute out of Chicago and seeing that Rick N. has one (and used to play it ever so rarely) I thought it would be cool. While Rick's has twin B-benders, I'll leave mine stock. Oh, and I got it at cost so it was impossible to pass up!!!

Not my first Tele, but I'm digging it. As usual the MIJ stuff rocks (I have a nice '87 lefty white/RW Strat that kicks). Have played it in several vintage and re-issue Fender amps at my bud's studio and immediately decided NOT to replace the pickups. They sounded excellent when we put it on tape.

Got a gig on the 18th, it's gonna be one of the 10 I use that day for sure.

The Dream Police
    www.livebands.net/thedreampolice

Forum Member
    Now why am I not in the least surprised that 58Lover owns a Pink Paisley Tele?
    Last edited by Ed Rafalko; 08-11-2002 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member
    Wha-wha-whaaaaaaaT??????

Jeezus, I own (or have owned) MUCH uglier guitars Ed!

Actually, it's a damn fine geetar... it's not a '58, but it looks good with all the other neat pieces of firewood I have!

YOU need one!@!!!!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by 58Lover
    Wha-wha-whaaaaaaaT??????

Jeezus, I own (or have owned) MUCH uglier guitars Ed!

Actually, it's a damn fine geetar... it's not a '58, but it looks good with all the other neat pieces of firewood I have!

YOU need one!@!!!!
    SURE! I need one! I need ANOTHER reason for people to make fun of me!;)

Forum Member
    Screw that, bru-thu!

You live in Texas! You can do anything, right?!? Of course.

It's being up here in the Midwest that makes my life in danger!!!

Hell, I remember back around '83 when Pink was the best selling color in the store....

Wonder where all those pink Ibanez's are right now!

Forum Member
    I know what you're doing- you're trying to talk me into buying one so you don't feel as dorky about owning one.;)
    In Texas, if you own or are associated with anyting pink OR paisley, they don't talk to you when you walk by and you hear whispers of 'raising a posee', 'get a rope', that sort of thing;)

Forum Member
    Oh, heck-fire - tell 'em you're doing a Marty Stuart tribute! One look at you, and they'll know!!!