Thread: going to buy my 1st guitar on monday

Forum Member

going to buy my 1st guitar on monday

hello all , my name is igor and i come frome croatia
    so excusse my bad english (let`s see you trying to speak croatian )

i have 500$ or 400€ to spare .... and i wanna buy an acoustic guitar....

i like rock music ..... newer and older rock ...... i defenitly want to start with an acoustic guitar and later on transfer to electric

so what do you think about my first choice for now :fender gdc 100 sce

is this a good guitar to start with , can you recomend any better?

thank you

Re: going to buy my 1st guitar on monday

In general, I recommend buying used instruments for people starting on an instrument because a) you can get a better instrument for less money, and b) when you sell the instrument to get one you like better as your technique develops, you can sell for the same price you paid. So changing instruments doesn't cost much at all if you buy carefully...

Apart from that, the specs on the Fender acoustic look very reasonable for a first or (even second, third or fourth) guitar. You might want to try a lighter gauge of string to the .013-052 it comes shipped with while your fingers are still getting toughened up... maybe even as light as .010-.048. The guitar will sound better with the heavier gauge string though, so you could progressively increase the gauge every time you change the strings as your fingers get stronger.

-Mark

Forum Member

thx for the fast response , used guitar is not raelly an option becuse i plan on buying it with my credit card (my account is maxed up :) )

Welcome to the world of guitar!

Don't dig yourself too much of a hole, financially, on your first instrument.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'll go the opposite way of Plugger. Unless you can take someone with you that knows something about guitars, a used instrument is a terrible way to go for a first-timer. There are too many things to watch out for on a used instrument for it to be safe enough for an uninformed purchase. Get something new so you'll have a warranty.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    I'll go the opposite way of Plugger. Unless you can take someone with you that knows something about guitars, a used instrument is a terrible way to go for a first-timer. There are too many things to watch out for on a used instrument for it to be safe enough for an uninformed purchase. Get something new so you'll have a warranty.
    Well, I did qualify the advice with "buy carefully", which implies making an informed decision.

And sure, a knowledgeable friend is an obvious solution in this regard, but there are other ways to get enough knowledge to stay out of trouble. Asking questions on a forum like this is a good example. (Welcome, by the way! :))

The risk of making a mistake in choosing a used instrument has to be balanced against the risk of making a mistake choosing a new instrument; buying an instrument new and selling it after three months because it just doesn't work for you basically guarantees you'll taking a hit financially. The risk in buying a used instrument is in paying more than you can resell it for.

No free lunch. Caveat emptor.

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Don't dig yourself too much of a hole, financially, on your first instrument.
    This is excellent advice too.

-Mark

Forum Member

so do u think this particular guitar is ok for starters??

i would like to play rock , country ...... and so

Forum Member

moo

still no replays

plz help me :)

i dont wont to make a mistake in buying my first guitar..... and ending in not playing it becouse of my bad choice

One thing to realise is no two guitars are made exactly the same, and it is difficult to know if a particular guitar is going to be suitable for you (or anyone else) just by its model number.

As has already been suggested, it helps to have a knowledgable friend (or teacher perhaps) to play and help pick a guitar for starting out... otherwise, there is a risk buying a guitar (new or used) that it might not be right one.

It's not the end of the world if have to buy a few guitars before you find one you really like... it's just something to budget for. Buying a new guitar and selling it used will cost you some money. Paying too much for a used guitar will cost you some money...

Having said all that, there's no reason I know that the guitar model you've selected shouldn't be fine... sorry I can't be more help than that.

-Mark

Hi. Welcome to TFF.

That looks like a fine instrument. Fender is a reputable brand, of course. I assume that if you buy it new from a dealer you'll get some sort of warranty too. Plus you have a resource if something goes wrong. I have no idea what other brands are available where you are.

I too would strongly recommend you go with lighter gauge strings to start with. Steel string acoustic guitars can sometimes be extremely frustrating when you're just getting started. It's funny because almost every single beginner I encounter is convinced that they have to start on an acoustic before "graduating" to electric.

By the way, your English is far better than that of most of us dumbasses on this board who have been mangling it all our lives.

To take this thread off on a tangent, I see that Fender's website claims this guitar has a "florentine" cutout. I wonder what they're smoking. THIS is a florentine cutout: http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues...florentine.jpg

I'm not saying the guitar isn't slandy and everything but it's not a florentine, that's all.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka
    It's funny because almost every single beginner I encounter is convinced that they have to start on an acoustic before "graduating" to electric.
    Actually, I think there are some very good reasons for a beginner to start out on an acoustic guitar, rather than an electric. It's somewhat more demanding, sure, but that's precisely why I think you will progress more quickly on developing correct left-hand technique.

-Mark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    Actually, I think there are some very good reasons for a beginner to start out on an acoustic guitar, rather than an electric. It's somewhat more demanding, sure, but that's precisely why I think you will progress more quickly on developing correct left-hand technique.

-Mark

well , i heard that from more than a few people

and i m still rather young so acoustic is my choice becouse i will :wail2 in the park while and :smokin with my friends

i just love smilies sorry :)

hi....welcome

that DOES look like a killer guitar...[maybe too nice for a beginner!! sorry].....(that's not a US available model, is it?)...and what? u have $400-500 US money, or Euros?.....

people are gonna slam me, but, don't exclude looking at a martin X series...they're man made HPL design w/ a Micarta fretboard, and prob a HSC...and it prob comes w/ a LIFETIME WARRANTY for the orig owner (trust me, Martins warranty is GOLD!)...it's very durable and can withstand temp changes, and prob quite a few more BANGS than a wood guitar (since you are a novice ...no slam intended)....and the sound is ALL MARTIN!!!

my 2 cents
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by -gero-
    ... i plan on buying it with my credit card (my account is maxed up :) )
    A touchingly "Western" sentiment.

That guitar looks fine, WAY better than my first 2 or 3 at least.

Any other brands readily available to you in Croatia?
    Just curious.
    The AW120 ECE is one in particular I've tried and liked.:yay
    Last edited by NeoFauve; 02-01-2006 at 08:40 AM. Reason: to add Croatia/Slovenia Ibanez link
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

well i live in croatian capitol (zagreb) so i have all major brand guitars in a 10km radius

and i have 400€ (around 500$ i think) to spare for it

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I'll be bold and tell you exactly what to get. I bought an Epiphone PRE-V ten years ago for $400 and never regretted it (still have it). Now - incredibly - they are selling for $299 new at American Musical Supply.com

The Artwoods and also Alvarez acoustic are some great affordable acoustic.
    I'm not sure what the currency conversion is OR the local pricing.

Seagull and Art & Luthiery are two nice Canadian brands.
    Thier website doesn't show dealers in Croatia, but I suppose you could look around.
    Good luck, -gero-.:wail2
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I'd get a Yamaha. They are great value for the money. I've had one for 25 years without a dent in it... until last year.... I've had numerous people ask me to tell them if I ever sell it. I'll keep it...

I started my son, last year on electric. I just wanted him to have fun and play the music he wanted. He did not follow in my footsteps. He became a Gibson guy....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama