Thread: Tried to like the Eric Johnson

Forum Member

Tried to like the Eric Johnson

I bought the new Eric Johnson strat and brought it home. I liked the neck radius and feel of neck a ton. I didn't like the sticky feel of the fret board(I think this would go away in time). I didn't like the tone of the p/u's that much. they were really good but in the end the tone of my 50's classic with Texas specials in it sounded a lot more a live with more punch. The EJ sounded more refined and a lot more smother sounding which would be better for some). The action was real low and the neck was super fast and easy to play(did I say I liked the neck) But the nut was cut to low for the low e string and rattled like crazy. I tried to put some relief into the neck, it got a little better, then I raised the action and still a problem. There was a noticeable buzz on all strings which came trough the amp. there was also a weird kind of high pitched squeal(like a high harmonic) that would ring through from time to time(very frustrating) Like I said I added relief and raised the action and tried new strings and all the problems were still there. I love the neck and wasn't that impressed with the p/u's and the nut and buzz problems. in the end I brought it back to GC. If there were a couple there to play,I'm sure I could find a killer one. Still I wasn't that happy with the p/u's. I wish it would have worked out but for $1600 I wanted better.

Re: Tried to like the Eric Johnson

Too bad...love mine ;)
    That's a Robin move...Batman never woulda done that...

Forum Member

What guage strings are you using. I had a similar problem with my strat when I had 9's on it. Move up to at least 10's and you should get rid of the buzz.

I had the opposite problem. I loved the sound and the lightness of the body made it fun to hold, but I absolutely hated the neck. I'm just not a fan of the v-shape necks, and this one was especially thick. I prefer a 60's style neck.

loved everything about it. eventually.

Got used to the neck quickly, the stickiness goes in a couple of weeks, really like it now. The guitar was setup really badly out of the box. but with a little help from the guys in the "tech repair shop" section got most of the problems solved.

The nut IS cut very low but with a bit of fiddling around with the bridge, saddles and neck alignment, the buzzing is gone and i've still got pretty low action.

I also had the problem with that odd harmonic which was solved by lowering the pups considerably (they were stupidly high out of the box, especially for staggered pups) combined with the changes i'd made to tackle the fret buzz.

Still one or two things i have to sort out (want to get it shielded and the intonation set for 11's) but im nearly there.

I bought online and had a relative bring it across the atlantic for me to save a few quid so i did'nt have the option to return it (well not without serious hassle) so i had to try sort it out myslef, all those problems are solveable but for a 1,600.00 dollar guitar it's probably not something you should have to do. I'm very happy now though.

Formerly joe mama

I've tried four. This fourth one I have here may be a keeper. I love all the specs and the neck is the most perfect strat neck to me. I love the chunkiness and I don't feel any V to this one.

The three previous ones all needed a string tree. The sitar effect was there. That could be part of the harmonics thing. I notice on some strats, the G string will give a weird ping if it doesn't have enough angle.

The three previous EJ's also did not sound that good. They were light weight and I did reviews on the here. they had such a thin, twangy tone. Very smooth and clear, but those guitars had no bottom or low mids in the tone.

This one, I bought from mail order on a whim. Figured I'd try one more time. I was planning on sending it back the same day I got it! But it sounds very good. Very rich and full sounding with all the right frequencies there. Notes have authority and a full ring. No plinky twang on this one.

All four EJ's were extensively compared to my CS '69 alder/maple strat which blew away those first three EJ's. Now this EJ is making me think twice about the 69!

Were those first three lemons? Or is this a diamond in the rough? I don't know. It just comes down to the wood like any strat I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 69strat
    It just comes down to the wood like any strat I guess.
    :yay :yay

Forum Member

I found rubbing the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool took care of the stickey feeling. I love the sound of the pickups. Perfect Strat tone. A little noisey but thats a Strat.
    I bought another one because I love the neck so much. I picked up a black one. I am changing the pickgaurd out for a black one. Should look pretty cool. All black with the vintage looking maple neck. Also changing the pickups out for DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Solo's in all 3 postions. I wanted the feel of the EJ Strat with the sound of P90's.
    I'll let you know how the DiMarzios sound. I am hoping that it will sound a little fatter, more output and no noise.
    The 2 tone one I will leave stock.

:2c All of the above. Tried three but just never bonded. For that kind of money, I didn't want to have to go through anything to make it right ie steel wool the neck, change pups etc. I guess I'm pretty happy with the three strats I own. I can understand the comment of wanting a P90 sound. I fixed that desire with a used Gibson Blueshawk for $400. No more gassing for an EJ.

Quote Originally Posted by dave9271
    I found rubbing the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool took care of the stickey feeling. I love the sound of the pickups. Perfect Strat tone. A little noisey but thats a Strat.
    I bought another one because I love the neck so much. I picked up a black one. I am changing the pickgaurd out for a black one. Should look pretty cool. All black with the vintage looking maple neck. Also changing the pickups out for DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Solo's in all 3 postions. I wanted the feel of the EJ Strat with the sound of P90's.
    I'll let you know how the DiMarzios sound. I am hoping that it will sound a little fatter, more output and no noise.
    The 2 tone one I will leave stock.
    I got rid of the pickups from my EJ within a week. Just can't stand the hum but absolutely love everything else about that guitar. I put in DiMarzio V Vs and have been happy ever since.

The neck was a little sticky. I didn't play it very long.
    But the one thing I didn't like about the EJ was the tall frets.
    I kind of like sliding aronud.
    I have the same issue with many G&Ls.

It's a good thing, cuz' I don't need anymore guitars.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

use some baby powder on the back of the neck, with frequent applications it should start to go away.

Formerly joe mama

I hate that stuff. How would it go away? It doesn't on a pool cue. The finish on the stick is always sticky until the gunk actually wears off. The damn powder gets all messy and is just temporary.

Plus, could you see some guy on stage using baby powder on his strat between tunes!

I don't know what to do with the EJ neck. I like this guitar and have a few days to decide if I want to keep it. It's gonna cost me $125 to refinish the neck, plus I need to find another decal for the head. Unless I keep the orange headstock with yellow tinted neck. That'll look too funky.

Why does Fender put so much damn finish on the neck? What about thin finish like advertised?

Forum Member

If you decided to keep the guitar, you could always buff the back of the neck with 0000 steel wool. This stuff isn't rough enough to remove the finish, completely, but it will buff it enough to make a significant difference. I've done this to several Fender guitars. You might even have to do it twice, but it will work. Better to do it lightly, twice, than to overdo it, once. However, your arm will get tired before this happens, if you use 0000 steel wool. Don't use anything less.

If you decide to go this route, cover the pickups with tape. Cover them completely. The steel wool breaks down in to small filings that will stick like glue to the pickups. Sufficient preperation will make cleanup a breeze.

Formerly joe mama

Jim, I've tried steel wool before, it's not enough. I like more of a wood feel. Either oil, raw maple or I can live with satin poly.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    It's a good thing, cuz' I don't need anymore guitars.
    Dude... are you off your medication, or did the electric shock therapy finally break you??

How many guitars are enough??
    Just one more :)

The stickiness on my EJ went away in about two to three weeks of daily playing. But that being said, it's not like a satin finish or a bare wood neck. And yeah...DON'T put baby powder on it, your pool cue analogy was right on. It didn't really bother me, but the finish just may not be for you...scotchbrite pad maybe??? That what I use on my pool cue and it works great. Good luck
    That's a Robin move...Batman never woulda done that...

Forum Member

played one today at GC. the necks all looked (i said looked, not felt) terrible. my mexican 50s classic has a better yellow than all 3 in the store!!! otherwise it was a nice strat. vintage vibe with modern playability.

Forum Member

I liked the tone but hated the overpricing

Mine's on the way.

First of all, let me say that I try to never put anything down too much. I'm pretty easy going and can tolerate quite a bit, but...

I tried an EJ Strat on Friday and looked at another and was not impressed at all!

I really wanted to like them too.

My new Hwy1 is much lighter, more resonant, has nicer frets and, with the Fralin pickups that I put in it, sounds nicer!

I didn't like the overly dark tint on the neck. The fret ends were like barbed wire (not really a deterent as they're easily fixed, but for this much money...), the worst that I've ever felt on a Fender! The frets ware also smaller than I like.

The pickguard was warped as hell. Far worse than the original pickguard on my '57 Strat! I'm used to '50s Strat pickguards being warped and usually don't mind it but this one was at was at least 1/4" high in the lower cutaway.

The body contours and sunburst finish were beautiful.

I could have a much nice guitar with a USACG or Warmoth body, USACG neck (with every detail to my spec like on the T-Style in my avatar), Fralin pickups and Fender and Callaham hardware for a little less money. It'd have little or no resale value, but that's not what I buy them for.

I was very excited about this guitar when it first came out because it seemed to be very similar to what I would build for myself.