Thread: Ceramic vs AlNiCo speakers

Forum Member

Ceramic vs AlNiCo speakers

Hey i was browsing the weber website and i am very interested in replaceing the speaker in my HRDlx. I just had a question about the ceramic speakers vs AlNiCo speakers. Is there a big difference and if so what is it? Im jsut trying to get as much info as possible and all the website said was "ceramic tone" which i have no idea what that means... any help would be great thanks!

Re: Ceramic vs AlNiCo speakers

Do it. I replaced mine with a 20w Eminance AlNiCo and it's a brand new (not to mention better sounding) amp. I think ceramics in general tend to have a deeper, tighter bass response, and maybe crisper highs, but the one that came in my HRD sounded terrible.

I've asked for a Weber Alnico Blue Dog for Xmas, and will definitely let everybody here know how it sounds if I get it.

I've posted this link before, but it seems useful again here. Check it out:

www.webervst.com/bt9908.htm

Enjoy.

Forum Member

Yeah id be interested to hear about how it turns out for you... if you get it that is haha. So for the HRDlx would a 20w do it? I was looking at the 12A150W and i was wondering which power rating (25w or 50w) would work, or if both would work would one just have a lot sooner breakup? Thanks

Oh yeah and what about dope? Any experience with obvious pros or cons?

fezz parka

Get an Eminence Red Fang. You'll dig it.:yay

Quote Originally Posted by nabskater
    Oh yeah and what about dope? Any experience with obvious pros or cons?

Just Say No to Dope.

No, dope's probably a good idea if you're driving speakers close to their rated capacity, distorted. However, it tends to kill some of the speaker's liveliness.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

In my humble experience I've always felt that an AlNiCo sounds more transparent and airy, like you could hear the indidvidual voices in a choir.
    I also remember reading somewhere way back, that a ceramic speaker changes its tone during let's say a gig due to warming up but I don't know if that's true?

i've had both ceramic and alnico speakers that were/are great. it depends on what you want to achieve with the amp. personally i like alnico for the above stated reasons, natural sounding to my ears. BUT, when i used to play heavy rock, i liked ceramic better because it stayed tighter. granted i could have done the same thing with higher rated alnicos, but i like the ceramics best in this situation.

with that said, ceramics get a bad rap alot of the time which i think is uncalled for. but then again, everybody has their own opinions.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

So for the HRDlx would a 20w do it? I was looking at the 12A150W and i was wondering which power rating (25w or 50w) would work, or if both would work would one just have a lot sooner breakup?
    I put the 20 watter in because I had it laying around (actually it was part of a set of four, but it was all I had). I'm not too confident about cranking it up, after all it's rated at half the power of the amp. A drummer I work with keeps asking me to jam, and I keep declining 'cause I don't want to blow it, and am too lazy to tear the amp apart to reinstall the stocker!

I would go with at least 40 watts for a replacement, even if you only jam in the bedroom. You never know when you'll need the extra muscle. The Weber I asked for is rated at 50w, I'd hate to frag a $180 speaker. ;)

Let us know how that 12A150W works out if you decide to go for it.

Yeah id be interested to hear about how it turns out for you... if you get it that is haha.
    Got it! Starting a new thread though, don't wanna hijack yours. Have you decided on one yet?

Forum Member

Im still not sure i think im going to invest in some new tubes cause mine is completely stock with the Groove Tubes and everything...ick. But after i get some new tubes i think that new speaker is whats next on the adgenda... maybe when i get a job haha