Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camaro, Mustang or Challenger...

Camaro, Mustang or Challenger...

Let's dream for a bit. Which one would you choose.
    I have to say, I'm still a GM man.

http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...deo/index.html

Oh!!! To be able to take good long road trip in any of these.
    Perhaps in another life. Sweet cars though!

Forum Member

Re: Camaro, Mustang or Challenger...

I'd love any of 'em. As a kid in the 1980s, the car I wanted most was a Z28. But I've lusted after the Mustang, too, especially since the latest redesign. On the other hand, that Challenger looks fantastic. Like the guy said, it takes the retro styling trend further than the others, and I think they really got it right.

If I had to choose one -- I mean, if I was lucky enough to be in a position to choose one -- I'd go with the Camaro, as long as it was the SS.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

I would have to drive them, I think they all need a diet..
    my fat '96 Formula weighs 3600#, I think these all are over 3800#.. That's a lot of weight for a 'pony car' I can't see 2 tons as a 'tossable' car - no worries though, no job no new car
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

the current ones? no thanks

the old camaro z28 bored out to about 500hp ala my neighbor from when I lived in texas? YES PLEASE.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

I'd be more interested in an older car, but if I was buying new, given my interest in nimble cars and my fetish for ragtops, there's only one choice.

Although I think the other two look cooler and are quicker, I'd have to go with the Mustang.

Back in the day - Camaro

But today, the Challenger hands down.

I've owned two 'Stangs and would gladly buy a third if my Crossfire ever wears out (and with its Mercedes lineage, that may take a while). I do like the Challenger, too and would seriously try one out - it looks and sounds kick-ass. I agree it could afford to lose a few pounds - but then again, so could I.

I know the Camaro is a nice car, but the looks just don't turn me on.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'd be more interested in an older car, but if I was buying new, given my interest in nimble cars and my fetish for ragtops, there's only one choice.

Although I think the other two look cooler and are quicker, I'd have to go with the Mustang.
    I think with our history of owning British cars we think alike. I grew up with a MG Midget as a kid- it was my dad's daily driver and is now my older bro's car. So I have an affinity for Lotus, Morgan, MG, Mini, Miata, Ultima, AC, Ariel, ect.

I think the Mustang looks the best, and that the others look to much like caricatures of their former selves. The Mustang is lighter, and has handling that sounds more appealing. A close second would be the Camero. I'd like to see a two door version of the new Dodge Charger, that's one mean looking car especially in black or in squad car decor. I wonder why it was not in the review.

If I had to choose a current American fun car I'd probably choose a pontiac solstice coup, it fits my driving style better and I think it's quite pretty.
    Last edited by Jonnda; 12-04-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Among the three given choices, I'd prefer the Mustang GT from last year.

However, I think if I was in the market for a "fighter plane" type vehicle I'd give the Saturn Sky some serious consideration. With 260 turbo-pumped ponies and a curb weight of under 3100 lbs, it looks like one helluva fun roadster. A pity they may not be around much longer......
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Gotta go with the Challenger. Evern though it's 2010, it is actually a real "pony car" and not a replica. And whooohooo, that is some HP they packed into the performance version!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

the newest stangs will have a 305 horse 6 cylinder so i imagine the 8 cylinders will be pumped up some too.i really like the styling,it reminds me of my 67...

Quote Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
    the newest stangs will have a 305 horse 6 cylinder so i imagine the 8 cylinders will be pumped up some too.i really like the styling,it reminds me of my 67...
    To me, a 6 cylinder pony car sounds- effeminate. Especailly after the turbo de-pulses the exhaust. You gotta have that American Iron sound for it to be something more than a replica.

You had to have lived in the day to know the sound of a 360, 289, 350, 427... We knew what was coming just by the SOUND it made!

Now, it won't be truly retro until somebody comes out with a kit to jack one of these new babies up! You know, leafs, schackles and traction bars. Gosh how I miss those days. Oh yeah, we need a big, round chrome air cleaner.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Camaro. May trade in the wifes Camry for one in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    To me, a 6 cylinder pony car sounds- effeminate. Especailly after the turbo de-pulses the exhaust. You gotta have that American Iron sound for it to be something more than a replica.
    You may say that but the previous m3 with its 6 cylinders was faster, even drag racing, than any of these cars. And many of the current 911s (turbo, gt2, gt3) would absolutely smoke even the cobra, again in a drag race which is certainly what muscle cars are supposed to be good at. And there is nothing effeminate about making a muscle car your *****.

in the end effective displacement > cylinders

You had to have lived in the day to know the sound of a 360, 289, 350, 427... We knew what was coming just by the SOUND it made!

Now, it won't be truly retro until somebody comes out with a kit to jack one of these new babies up! You know, leafs, schackles and traction bars. Gosh how I miss those days. Oh yeah, we need a big, round chrome air cleaner.
    And Cragar S/S wheels with white lettered tires!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redb View Post
    You may say that but the previous m3 with its 6 cylinders was faster, even drag racing, than any of these cars. And many of the current 911s (turbo, gt2, gt3) would absolutely smoke even the cobra, again in a drag race which is certainly what muscle cars are supposed to be good at.
    Muscle cars are about more than just speed. They're about...y'know...muscle. Brute force. They're about the rumbling exhaust note of a big, normally aspirated V8.

A 6 with a turbo may be faster, but it ain't no muscle car. It's all about where you grew up, when you grew up, and the cars you grew up lusting after.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

You may say that but the previous m3 with its 6 cylinders was faster, even drag racing, than any of these cars. And many of the current 911s (turbo, gt2, gt3) would absolutely smoke even the cobra, again in a drag race which is certainly what muscle cars are supposed to be good at. And there is nothing effeminate about making a muscle car your *****.

in the end effective displacement > cylinders
    You miss the point completely. Horesepower is torque times RPM. Muscle cars did it with TORQUE, not high revs, and therein lies the mystique. And they did it WITH NO BOOST. It was instantaneous acceleration. Traction control? Pfft! We would just put on bigger tires. Had to jack her up for the bigger skins and put traction bars on for added nose lift. That was traction control. If you had real HP you ran ladder bars.

That sound of the secondaries opening over a high-lift cam and an open exhaust... pure magic. You felt it in your belly.

Show me a picture of one of your 911's pulling the front tires - and the 911 has the engine in the rear!

And V8's are still the speed kings. Over 300MPH in the quarter. Turbo euro-weenie that one!

Muscle cars!! That loping idle...that rumble. I can't let my wife read this thread. Muscle cars are her aphrodisiac.

Forum Member

Before my 66 hipo289 GT and 70 Boss 302which I still have

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    Muscle cars!! That loping idle...that rumble. I can't let my wife read this thread. Muscle cars are her aphrodisiac.
    I'm trying to figure out why that's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Muscle cars are about more than just speed. They're about...y'know...muscle. Brute force. They're about the rumbling exhaust note of a big, normally aspirated V8.

A 6 with a turbo may be faster, but it ain't no muscle car. It's all about where you grew up, when you grew up, and the cars you grew up lusting after.
    And grabbing a fist full of gear, not a slick shifting 6 speed and definitely not an automatic.

I think I'd prefer a '68 Firebird 400 convertible with a 4 speed over the new cars. Sure, it's a pig, but a fun pig! Make mine blue with the Cragar S/S wheels and white lettered tires that I mentioned above.

That sound of the secondaries opening over a high-lift cam and an open exhaust... pure magic. You felt it in your belly.
    No that's car guy talk! These machines are not a means to an end! I'm more of a sportscar guy, but we have the same goal- the thrill of the ride, getting away from it all for a few moments.

You miss the point completely. Horesepower is torque times RPM. Muscle cars did it with TORQUE, not high revs, and therein lies the mystique.
    slow is still slow?

its a tiny little engine versus some huge monster and they still get toasted. and what happens when you have a modern v8 or v10, domestic or imported? the current zr1 corvette is an excellent example of what matters; horsepower, power to weight ratio, and getting the power to the ground.

Forum Member

slow is still slow?
    Like OA said, you're missing the point entirely.

There may well be 6-cylinder turbo Porsches that toast Mustangs and Camaros. But to repeat: the muscle car isn't just about speed. It's about heritage. It's about uniquely American classics. It's about a certain look and a certain sound. And it's about a certain, old-school solution from a simpler time: Want to make a car faster? Throw a bigger engine in it.

Muscle cars are the rock and roll of automobiles. An American invention with an American point of view. For every rock song you can name about a Porsche, we can name three about American muscle.

So enjoy your 911 Turbo if you have one or get one someday. I'll get me a 1969 Camaro SS, and we'll see who turns more heads. We weren't going to pit 'em against each other on a track, anyway...and drag-racing on public streets is for teenagers and douchebags.

All Im saying is that 6 cylinders is plenty manly enough if it gets the job done.

Im not trying to argue the benefits of 8 versus 6 cylinders. Personally I like super high revving v8s the best but I dont think its accurate to call a v6 or i6 a girly engine.

It completely depends on the car. A 6 cyl. M3 was a very tough car. Very close to a modern interpretation of a muscle car without being retro (or American). It's still not really a muscle car though.

A V6 Mustang or Camaro just doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally bored View Post
    Camaro. May trade in the wifes Camry for one in the spring.

This, in a convertible, would be very cool!

Don't forget the red lines on the Tiger Paws to go with those Cragars...

Forum Member

i finally sold my 66 pontiac tempest hot rod a couple of years ago trying to "stay out of trouble".i had it 25 years and while i miss the ability to burn rubber until i got tired of holding the pedal down i dont miss trying to stop 400 horsepower with 4 wheel drum brakes or cruiseship handling.but yeh,it was jacked up and scary fast.

Forum Member

It completely depends on the car. A 6 cyl. M3 was a very tough car. Very close to a modern interpretation of a muscle car without being retro (or American). It's still not really a muscle car though.

A V6 Mustang or Camaro just doesn't cut it.
    maybe you should explain this to a buick GN owner?im thinking if a305 horse six in a stang is good the same motor with a turbo would be a blast,and really quiet so the cops wouldnt hear you coming two miles away.but i am doing my best to quit street racing...

I had a '66 Tempest convertible with a V8 that I built in auto shop. I had it from 1979 to the early '80s. It was a fun car. Not only did I enjoy 4 wheel drum brakes, but I had regular bias ply tires. I became semi famous (infamous) when I dropped my girlfriend off at her drivers-ed class and power braked the length of the parking lot!

It had a front bench seat. I could fit 5 girls in it and often did! I loved that car!

As big as the car seems today, older folks considered this to be a small car!

Quote Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
    maybe you should explain this to a buick GN owner?im thinking if a305 horse six in a stang is good the same motor with a turbo would be a blast,and really quiet so the cops wouldnt hear you coming two miles away.but i am doing my best to quit street racing...
    Again, it depends on the car. The GN was a cool car.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why that's a problem.
    The problem is, I don't have a muscle car and if I show her this thread she might leave me for one of YOU guys.

Forum Member

this is a good time to buy,and if shes into them you have it made.my wife hated my pontiac from the first time she saw it till the day i sold it 25 years later...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    The problem is, I don't have a muscle car and if I show her this thread she might leave me for one of YOU guys.
    I'll send you a picture of my Eclipse GT you can show her. You've got nothing to worry about from me on the muscle car front. I love 'em, but that don't mean I've got one.

You need to keep the upside in mind: Having a wife who loves muscle cars is about as good as having a wife who loves guitars and amps. If your gets why they're awesome, you don't have to convince her you should have one.

Forum Member

This, in a convertible, would be very cool!
    If the coupe does well, I imagine they'll roll one out in a year or two. Looks like there are already pics on the Intarwebs of what appear to be pre-production (or maybe concept) convertibles.

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Dammit I want a 442, but they killed Olds. Now they getting rid of Pontiac? There goes my second fav GM brand.

"The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Old Ponies never die...they just smell that way.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnda View Post
    Now they getting rid of Pontiac? There goes my second fav GM brand.
    Yeah, GM puts out the first "F-body" in 8 years, and now there's no chance of a new Firebird, let alone a Trans Am.

Could be worse, I guess. I remember hearing a rumor several years ago that, if Chevy did bring back the Camaro, the biggest engine would be a V6.