Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is Your Favorite Tele Pickups

Forum Member

Barden

I guess people either love Joe Barden Tele PUPs or hate'em. Count me into the crowd who love 'em!
    Viva la bagatelle!

Re: Barden

Originally posted by BongoFury
    I guess people either love Joe Barden Tele PUPs or hate'em. Count me into the crowd who love 'em!
    :2c HATE 'EM :flush
    DAMN. I wish I could remember where I put them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Marcondo
    There are alot of people that dont look at the higher priced MIM series. I have found they are actually better than most of the USA made Fenders. The fit and finish is way better. The electronics are the same CTS pots and switches they use in the CS models so the MIM;s are really just painted and assembled in Mexico the wood itself is cut in the USA.

My last 4 Fender purchases were all MIM's

50's Classic Tele 60's Classic Tele Jimmie Vaughan Strat and 60's Classic Jazz BASS all MIM's and all flawless workmanship.
    The Nocaster clean (7.3k version) sounds great to me. If you check my page ( Anderson Lake Blues Project ) the clip for "Amazing Grace" about 1/2 way doen the page was made using one.

Dale
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member
    Don't know, the bridge and neck pickups balance perfectly
    on my stock '52 RI. The bridge is set to factory specs and just
    a tad louder than neck. The neck is very full range and deep
    sounding. Guess these vary a bit from one to another. (?)
    Mine was built in late '98. Think the bridge has the output
    as current Nocaster clean.
    Earl

Forum Member

'52 RI Tele Pickups

I was really impressed with the stock pickups on this guitar. To me, they delivered that classic Tele sound that inspires us to purchase them in the first place. They did, however, have a bit too much hum for my taste, and the bridge pickup had a little too much "quack" (something that a lot of Tele players may like, actually). I decided to install a set of Kinman AVn-60's and reconfigure to the modern pickup wiring. This provided a significant improvement in the overall tone of the guitar. The AVn-60's actually seem a little bit hotter than the stock pickups (which suprises me), yet provide a MUCH more balanced tone in both the neck and bridge which results in an immediately noticable enhanced transparent tone with more articulate lows and highs. The bridge pickup (AVn-60b) maintains that spanky Tele twang that we demand, and even ameliorated the aforementioned excessive "quack". But the neck pickup (AVn-60n), in my opinion, was the most noticable improvement. As I stated before, both pickups provide improved tonal balance and increased output, but the neck pickup adds more expressiveness and sounds more vibrant than the stock pickup. I LOVE playing delicate blues solos on that neck position. As you can tell, I enthusiastically recommend the Kinman AVn-60's.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace

My stock pup in my 92 American Standard after bypassing the TBX from the bridge position only.

runner up fave's!

Dimarzio Twang King (screams in a 52 Reissue)
    Dimarzio Pre B-1 (great rock/blues Tele pup)
    Duncan Broadcaster (sounds like a tele pup should)
    EMG Tele set (great tone, great set for the working Tele player, I've used em on prior Tele's I put together for road axes)
    The much hated Texas Special! (I know allot of player don't like these but I think they sound wonderful)
    52 Reissue pup sounds nice also

I dont hear enough difference in quality Tele neck pup's to fuss about but I've heard some pretty bad cheap ones. I've run across some pretty nice sounding cheap ones also though.
    Last edited by Fendercrazy; 03-14-2003 at 11:16 AM.

I am a big fan of Kinman Tele pickups, and that isn't going to change, but...

The pickups that are in my new Scott Lentz Tele are incredible. Scott knows something about how to make these beauties - and make a guitar around them - that is pretty amazing.
    'My art and profession is to live.' Michel de Montaigne

Forum Member
    Originally posted by mountain blues
    I am a big fan of Kinman Tele pickups, and that isn't going to change, but...

The pickups that are in my new Scott Lentz Tele are incredible. Scott knows something about how to make these beauties - and make a guitar around them - that is pretty amazing.

which ones are you using? i just ordered a set of the 62's. should be here in about a week. right now i am using fender custom shop texas specials. i like the neck or bridge sounds just fine by themselves, but the in between sound is way too muddy and bassy. just gets incredibly loose sounding.

Tim,

May I suggest that before you swap out pups on that thinline, if yours is a '69 reissue with 1M volume and tone pots, try popping in 500k ohm pots. I replaced just the volume pot and am quite pleased. Took out a lot of the icepick in the ears harshness of the bridge pup.

tom S.

Run for cover!

1M pots!?! What the hell are they doin' in there? LOL

I'd probably go directly to 250's.

Forum Member
    i got a set of kiman tele pickups for the warmoth tele the other day. it only took a week to get here from australia. very cool. i got the avn-60's. i had been using a set of fender custom shops but the deal was, i liked the bridge by itself or neck by itself, but the middle position was really loose sounding in the low end. the kinmans are remarkable in the middle position. you get that hollow chirp and whispy treble string reaction. the neck pickup by itself sounds less bright than the fenders. it is not too heavy on the low end, which was important for me. the bridge pickup is where they sprinkled the magic dust. just by adjusting the height of the bridge pup it will get a whole bunch of tones. the balance string to string is better than any tele pickup i ever saw. if i set the bridge pup low it gets a really good "woody" tone and sparkles like a mofo. if i set it just a bit up from that it gets real touch sensitive, so i can keep it clean or make it get some attitude just by how easy or hard i go after the strings. right now i have is set up pretty close to the strings. this produces the most complex tele tone i could ever want. cream for days! even tho they sell a set that is supposed to be patterned after the old broadcaster pups, i am getting exactly that with this height setting.

funny thing is, i have a set of their traditionals on one of my strats, and they don't behave anything the same. i like them, but they are nowhere near as cool as the tele pickups. they sure are proud of them price-wise. 228.00 shipped. but if any of you have been considering them i say save your pennies and go for it.

i don't really see the point of doing sound clips for these things because as i said, they are like little fucking chameleons. i played some last nite through a mesa heartbreaker on the lust channel (drive channel) with medium gain and my jaw was on the floor at how much better they sounded than the fender pups. they can be squeaky clean too. sound excellent through an allen old flame and a deluxe reverb reissue.

Eric OBrien

Re: What Is Your Favorite Tele Pickups

hi

in my Tele (Blade) I have the Haeussel Broadcaster Set http://www.haeussel.com/
    I'm very happy with this Pickups.

Forum Member
    The original ones.

TFF Stage Crew
    Ol'Fuzzy!

Gawd dangit it's great to see you here at TFF. Welcome, sir! I've learned a ton of stuff from reading your posts elsewhere. You're the Websters of Telecasters.

Forum Member
    ma fav pups are in my 67 Maple Cap...no matter what I try in other guitars...I just can't come close to that sound....don

Eric OBrien
    Originally posted by O'lFuzzy
    The original ones.
    No,

my Tele is a ?clone?
    http://www.bladeguitars.com/core.html

favorite?

Rio Grande Muy bridge,
    Fender Noiseless neck.

Re: Run for cover!

Originally posted by mrhappy
    1M pots!?! What the hell are they doin' in there? LOL

I'd probably go directly to 250's.
    After trying 250ks I would agree. Didnt have any at the time.

Tom