Thread: Celestion G10 Vintage Speakers Anyone?

Celestion G10 Vintage Speakers Anyone?

I'm interested in any reports, good or bad, on Celestion's G10 Vintage speaker. Do any TFF'ers use them? I'm looking at an amp that uses a 2x10 pairing of them and am wondering how other users find them. Thanks in advance.

Tenebrae

Re: Celestion G10 Vintage Speakers Anyone?

A friend had a Vintage 10 stock in his Velocette. He's much happier with the Silver Bell that's in there now.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thanks for the response, Kap'n. I gathered that we're talking Weber speakers here so I shot across to his website to do a bit of reading. The alnico Silver Ten sounds interesting. I think I'd be sticking to the 2x10 arrangement, so it'd be a straight swap. The Silver Bell, being a 12" might be problematic. I will, however, speak to the amp tech in a couple of weeks when I go in to try his range of wares about what he thinks would be a good quality upgrade for later on down the track. Meanwhile, I found a fellow here in Melbourne who sells Webers:

http://www.retrosound.com.au/Amps/Am.../XSpeakers.htm

So, I might give him a bell after I've sussed out the amps. I tend to like a good naturally compressing speaker, that has plenty of warmth and roundness to the sound. Early breakup is cool. I'm not a fan of overly bright, fizzy driven tones. Any others from Weber's range I should be asking about? Thanks.

Tenebrae

Oops, I meant Silver 10. It's considerably darker than the Vintage 10, but in a good way. Sort of like semi-sweet chocolate. A lot of people mix the Silvers with the Weber Blues, which is a Celestion/Vox style.

I had a very early Weber Blue Dog, and I liked it a lot - brighter than the Silver, but not abrasive. Naturally, I blew it, and during the meantime, Ted changed the formula to something brighter, probably to be closer to the reissue blue (rather than the original), since that's the sound folks are expecting. I find them too bright for my ears now. You might be able to ask Ted about the "old style" blue.
    orange picks

Kap'n given your description of the silver 10 (dark, chocolatey) and what I've read on the Weber site, I think I mighty follow this one through with the amp tech when next I speak with him. I'll also find out more about the AlNiCo Blue Pup 10. Thank you very much, Kap'n, for your advice. Really appreciate it.

Cheers, man!

Tenebrae

Cool. Of course you've got to get back to me, to see if I screwed u...how it came out.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Of course you've got to get back to me, to see if I screwed u...
    :rofl

T