Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats the best riff and/or solo ever played on a Stratocaster

Forum Member

Re: Whats the best riff and/or solo ever played on a Stratocaster

Lots of great songs mentioned here. I've always liked the tone on Santana's WINNING. One of the best Strat tones I've ever heard from a guy not known for playing a Strat.

Forum Member

Lots of classic rock erudition too, but if we are talking riffs and Strats then the answer can only be one:

SMOKE.ON.THE.WATER.

That's the reason why I picked up a guitar 32 years ago, that's the reson why my 6 yr old did the same last year.

THE Strat rock tone, THE riff.

Forum Member

Voodoo Chile by Jimi Hendrix
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond by David Gilmour
    Where Were You by Jeff Beck
    Highway Star by Ritchie Blackmore

Man....where do you even start?

+1 on the Mark Knopfler "Sultans of Swing" mentions....that tone/solo killed me the first time I heard it.

+1 on all the Gilmour mentions. I prefer his earlier gritty stuff to the highly polished sound of latter years, but you just cannot beat the solos in Shine On, Dogs (that whole album, actually), and Comfortably Numb. The Comfortably Numb solo on the Pulse DVD is pure genius, pure Strat, pure freaking chillbumps everytime I watch it. A good example though of a nasty tone I love from his earlier work is the solo from "Fat Old Sun" just gritty bridge work.....

+1 on the Eric Johnson. Manhattan is fantastic and a prime example of why I love the Strat.

Ditto SRV's Lenny and Riviera Paradise. And Texas Flood, that intro screams "Hey, wanna hear what a Strat sounds like?"

The classic rock era is ripe with a plethora of stuff to cull from (a big ups to those that mentioned Dick Dale and Buddy Holly earlier, BTW).

In recent years (and I cannot believe I am saying talking about anything recorded outside of the 1960s/1970s) I have gotten a big kick from the tone of Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys and the work of Mike McCready of Pearl Jam, see the earlier reference in this thread to Yellow Ledbetter. The tone in that song's opening to me is almost a definition of what a Strat should sound like.
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Well Ill give my favorites that havent been mentioned:

Jason Becker: Black Star (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAtk6moKtw)
    Jake E Lee: Bark at the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNuIzw9VfU) this is actually a fender that has been painted and labeled to appear to be from a certain california company.
    Peter Green: Albatross. Peter insists that he recorded this with his strat.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?

+1 on Albatross.....

with that in mind, did George/John record the Albatross-inspired line from "Sun King" on Abbey Road with a Strat? I know it was heavily sent through a Leslie, but still, it sounds Strat-ish......
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Quote Originally Posted by sliding-tom View Post
    Refin, agreed on the Beatles' great tones, but the in-between-position had been figured out before by Buddy Guy (listen to his Chess recordings late 50s/early 60s - it's all there). I remeber reading an interview where he said, he found this by accident.
    Funny thing about the switch between 2 and 3. When I was first learning to play guitar in the early 60s, some of the older guys knew about that sound and showed me how to put a piece of matchbook in there (hey, EVERYONE smoked) to keep the switch in position. And I am sure they never heard of Buddy Guy.

Here is a question: how far back does that tone go? Anybody use it on recordings before "Nowhere Man."?
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

Ok... Nevermind the cheesy lyrics. This is one recording of "Belief" song by John Mayer every strat fan should watch. That's TONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukitbLI2C4

Let it load, and wait for the solos at 4:49 and 5:53.

P.S. Oh ya... he's got a nice touch in his phrasing too. Heh...

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    Ok... Nevermind the cheesy lyrics. This is one recording of "Belief" song by John Mayer every strat fan should watch. That's TONE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ukitbLI2C4

Let it load, and wait for the solos at 4:49 and 5:53.

P.S. Oh ya... he's got a nice touch in his phrasing too. Heh...
    I dont hear a lot of positive things about mayer (especially from older players) and in fact I mostly hear stuff about him being a "kid" or other, nastier things. But personally, I dont think you can argue with success or the fact that the guy can rip off a pretty good solo.

I think sometimes people forget were all supposed to be in this for fun. Thats a good video, thanks for posting it.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?