Thread: Converting to hardtail

Converting to hardtail

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...base_id/132090

I really like a hardtail over tremolo........

I really like my Jimmie Vaughan

Will this be a direct fit on my JV?

I have seen a couple of other kits, but this looks nice to me.

Comments, questions, Give a Shits?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

fezz parka

Re: Converting to hardtail

IMO, it's a waste of $50 bucks. Lose the bar, use five springs, crank down the claw, and block the sucker like a Clapton.

Density and mass impact on sound - thoughts.....

I like what the BAII did for my bass, I wonder if this would be a similar variation, or limited difference if any?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

fezz parka

I'll bet there's more density and mass with the original setup. The only real difference with this one is you'll be out $50.

I like the idea of having something that will be less likely to move around. Having said that, I have blocked a few PRS, G&L and Strats and really haven't had any issues. I remove the springs and put a piece of wood behind the trem block, with a very small bead of glue or silicone to keep it from shifting. The strings keep the correct tension and reacts more like a real stop tail than using the springs and transfering the pressure and vibration the opposite direction it wants to go.

Forum Member

I think with that one in the link, you'll be drilling two holes, one of which would probably show if you converted back to the original bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    I'll bet there's more density and mass with the original setup. The only real difference with this one is you'll be out $50.
    And it looks like you'll have a bunch of exra holes in your guitar too. It says it "covers" the existing holes... it doesn't say it uses them... I bet you add 4 new holes to your axe.

If you were building a hard-tail from scratch and all you had was a trem routed body this thing *might* be cool. Those saddles might sound ok, but the vintage style saddles on your JV strat are probably better.

I think I'd block it off too or crank the screws. At least that is reversible.

I tend to agree with the above posts: Clapton it! Save your money. If you ever decide to "move the instrument on", it's unmolested.

Tenebrae

PS: I ran a blocked Strat for years with zero issues, I liked it fine.

Forum Member

Block it like Fezz mentions or hit Warmoths "thrift Shop" and grab a hardtail replacement body.

There's a Trem-setter type of device now that blocks the trem. I forget the name of it but it installs like a trem-setter and locks the bridge. Looks like a decent deal, but why not just block it? It's quick, easy, and doesn't mess up you guitar. Or grow some balls, be a man and play a Tele. <<Ducks>>
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I always put the extra springs on my Strats and have no trouble with tuning stability or any other issues for that matter.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

Yup, 5 springs bolt down the claw and add a bit of hadwood to stop all trem movement. It worked great for me, I now have a strat that looks normal, sounds perfectly stratty, and yet doesn't have the facility I don't use or the instabilities that facility causes.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Or grow some balls, be a man and play a Tele. <<Ducks>>
    :hee

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson
    Density and mass impact on sound - thoughts.....

I like what the BAII did for my bass, I wonder if this would be a similar variation, or limited difference if any?

Unless the "string-thru" aspect of that bridge extends down into the trem rout, you'll be minus springs and the block, which would be less mass. Then you're just screwing a plate over and empty hole.
    Plus you need to at least 2 holes that would be visible if anyone ever wated to put it back to stock.

Do the 5 tight springs trick. It's built into the design.:yay
    Plus you get that ever so slight touch of natural reverb in the body.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I blocked my bridge with a solid piece of brass. It's dense and transfers sound like crazy. ;)

________
    "Can you hear me now?'

I'm actually thinking about going the Warmoth replacement body route, since I like the thinner nut measurement of my SRV Strat but want the narrower spacing of the modern bridge. Actually Warmoth also makes a narrow spaced hardtail Strat bridge, so I think my SRV neck and electronics will find itself on just such a body. I'm thinking Sonic or Dauphne blue for color.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    I always put the extra springs on my Strats and have no trouble with tuning stability or any other issues for that matter.
    I`m with T-B on this one. The springs and the vintage style bridge is what gives the Strat its `Stratiness`. The springs almost give it a built in reverb-like airyness to the tone. To my ears, Hardtail Strats sound completely different, as do American standard bridges, and (gasp) locking bridgesand that sorta shit. Its just wrong!!:bug

CT.:ahem

Forum Member

OPPS,,,sorry double post!!:bug

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    I`m with T-B on this one. The springs and the vintage style bridge is what gives the Strat its `Stratiness`. The springs almost give it a built in reverb-like airyness to the tone. To my ears, Hardtail Strats sound completely different, as do American standard bridges, and (gasp) locking bridgesand that sorta shit. Its just wrong!!:bug

CT.:ahem
    I already have the five springs on my vintage bridge. The problem for me is the wide string spacing on vintage bridges. It is much wider than the string spacing on a TOM. What I'm going for here is consistency of string spacing under my pick hand. I want to be able to shift back and forth from my TOM equipped guitar to my Strat without losing pick accuracy.