Thread: New bass playing enthusiasm!

Forum Member

New bass playing enthusiasm!

A few weeks ago I was listening to "Crown Of Creation" by Jefferson Airplane and suddenly I was consumed with a desire to play bass and sound like Jack Casady. I've since done some extensive web searches and have learned what kind of gear I'm going to need to get some of that sound. Right now the bread situation won't allow for gear expenditures, and I've got an Rick 4003 bass to goof around with, and that's not too shabby; although I think I should change the stock strings and put some flats on there. I've also got an SS Ibanez 65 watt bass amp; and I bought a Casady instructional video, and hopefully I'll learn a few things while watching.

What I would like to do though, if it's possible, is to get a Bass OD pedal that's attack sensitive to try and duplicate that part of Jack's playing. Does such a beast exist? Might I be happier and would it be cheaper to get a used, 30 watt tube amp, something utilitarian like a Peavy, to get those deep tones with a little growl in them? Any ideas from bass playing, Casady enthusiasts would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Keep your feet warm, your strings clean, and your powder dry.

Re: New bass playing enthusiasm!

Hey, glad to hear that you got the bass bug ;) As far as underpowered all-tube bass heads go, I would reccommend the old 70's non-blackfaced Fender bassman amps. They have a nice fat, tubey tone at low volume and if you want a little or alot of grindy overdriven sound, just crank the volume knob passed it's comfort zone. They're cheap too ... you can buy them regularly in good condition for 250-300 bucks.

Good luck :bwa
    Bass: It's What's For Dinner.

As far as a current bass that will get a convincing JC sound, I would go for a Lakland Skyline hollowbody bass with darkstar pickups. IMO that bass + a tube head and 15's (in the right hands) could nail Jack Casady's tone.

Bass: It's What's For Dinner.

Forum Member

Thanks Rhian. I'd forgotten about the trusty old Fender Bassman. It'd be a good amp to plug guitar into as well.
    Keep your feet warm, your strings clean, and your powder dry.