Thread: Suggestions for good but CHEAP soundcard

Suggestions for good but CHEAP soundcard

The other day I decided to hook up my strat to my computer and see what it sounded like going through a recording/effects program. The program I was using was Guitar Rig. The only input I have is the integrated soundcard on my motherboard. Of course the latency was horrible and there was a constant clicking sound. Can anyone recommend a good soundcard that I can get without spending a whole lot of money? I don't mind picking something up used on ebay, just don't know what to go with.

Re: Suggestions for good but CHEAP soundcard

I doubt the problem is the sound card. Going straight in to the PC from a guitar is not really ideal, the signal levels aren't well matched. What else do you have at your disposal (mixer, effects pedals, microphone)? Any of which can be used to buffer the signal before it goes into the sound card.

As for the latency, its probably because the sound card is using a wdm driver. If you can get an ASIO driver you would be better off. A lot of it depends on the software and I don't know anything about Guitar Rig.