Thread: Your opinion on vintage Jazzmasters

Your opinion on vintage Jazzmasters

I'm interested in purchasing a vintage Jazzmaster (right now I'd have to make my choice between a late62 or an early64/refin Oly white). Both guitars are too far away from my home so I'd have to buy them unplayed. I'm using a Replica 60s Strat in my Indie Rock band but a Jazzmaster is an obvious choice. Any comments on how they'd behave with pedals, gain ..soloing..squeal
    I can't find any sound files on the web, please help

Re: Your opinion on vintage Jazzmasters

ok, I'll found out by myself, just bought the '62

Congrats!
    I know next to nothing about them but did get to hear a guy play one last May.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Speaking of the Jazzmaster, what are folks impressions of them. I never have had the opprotunity to play one, vintage or new.

A.W., congratulations on the Jazzmaster!

I borrowed a '61 from my brother for a few years, a few decades ago. All in all it was a cool guitar. It had a pretty narrow neck but it was comfortable and the guitar was well made.

With light strings the `break' angle over the bridge just wasn't enough, and I would pull strings off the bridge saddles just by playing hard. In my opinion the stock bridge/tremolo assembly really needs heavier strings to work as intended.

The pickups sounded sweet and Fendery but I think the relatively wider pickup coil did change the attack, it wasn't as sharp as a Strat or Tele. At the time I thought the pickups had to be hot so I didn't like 'em very much. Heavier strings would probably help there as well. Lastly, the rhythm/treble switch is pretty useless.

I think with a proper setup and an understanding of what the guitar can do and what it can't, a Jazzmaster is a great guitar that shouldn't be overlooked as an option to the now-universal fare of Tele's and Strats. :2c

I read that there are options for the common Bridge complaints...using a Mustang bridge or a "Buzz stop" that is sold from dealers online. This should eliminate bridge noise and makes a shaper neck angle( like the Bigsby B7 unit)