Thread: Fender acoustics

Forum Member

Fender acoustics

Just noticed a sale on DG7's and DG11E's at GC. Anyone have any experience with these guitars - I'm looking for a good and inexpensive guitar (that I won't mind if it gets a little banged up). Also anyone seen or tried the Fender Ensenada acoustics?

Re: Fender acoustics

Fender acoustics are far from my list of favorites. They do electrics great, but their acoustics are sorely lacking in the sound department. Alvarez is flat out the most bang for the buck I have seen in acoustic guitars. They consistently play well, sound good and have decent electronics for a real baragin price.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I know Fender offers some pretty nice acoustics, but it seems like the large dealers will typically dsplay the flashiest looking so-so models or the Strato/Telecoustics, so I haven't seen many around.
    Some really nice sounding and playing AFFORDABLE acoustics I have come across are: Ibanez Artwoods, Seagulls, Art & Luthiery, as well as Alvarez. They all offer very nice, solid top guitars.
    In the mid-$600 range are the new Chinese made Guilds too.

I personally have certain issues regarding MIC guitars, but there's just no denying the quality available now at crazy low prices.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

A local store had about twenty from this line of acoustics. They were all damn good for the price (from $190s to $400s). I picked up what I thought to be the best sounding one for $230, gig included. It wasn't the prettiest, but it had an onboard pickup with built-in tuner. I had to recut the nut; it was a chore to get it to intonate correctly.

After tax and a new nut file, I was well under three bills for an acoustic that sounds almost as nice as my old trusted Alvarez-Yari. Seriously, its sound is comparable to those you'd expect to get for $800-1000.

Try to find a dealer with a bunch of 'em and try a few out. :yay :yay

I bought a Simon and Patrick for 300 and ended up being less than impressed after a month. From what i've heard they're made by the same company as Seagull, Solid cedar top, looked good and what not.

But for $600 the Taylor 110e was hands down best for sound against the Martins in that class. Heres a pic

I wasn't to fond of the Fenders at this particular store though.

It's not a cutaway model though, as far as I know youd have to spend 200 more for that. The 800 series I think.