Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why oh why did I ahve to see this?!

Re: Why oh why did I ahve to see this?!

Or a mini in the bridge. :hee

Forum Member

those tele jrs are real nice. I have seen them in champagne and blue here in Japan, both limited colors. i really love seafoam green though.
    shoganai ne

Ya know what? The ad is still up. I wonder if the previous deal fell through. The last time I contacted the store, they said they had a deposit on the guitar but his "30 days" were up soon. The ad doesn't indicate that the guitar has been sold, so I e-mailed them last night. We'll see what they have to say. I just might show up at the NY Jam with a new guitar!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Remember what I said, Tele-Bob, this deal is far from over; you're going to be coming off the bench to grab that sucker....just think: the world's most versatile guitar with the world's most versatile p/ups....gotta just love it!

Tenebrae

Yeah, but now I have to figure out how to get my hands on $2000 quick! Damn!

Trade? Got anything that can net you a few dollars on changeover?

Tenebrae

Yeah, but they always rape you on trades. I'll go through the inventory and see what has been getting less than it's fair share of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Yeah, but they always rape you on trades.
    True, but sometimes by sheer "hangin' around" and "umming & ahhhing" and making yourself a right royal pain in the arse you can lessen the pain, dollar wise....It also shows that you're dead serious about doing business and are not some easy kill.... The best deal on trade I ever did was getting rid of a LP Standard, which I absolutely hated, as part trade for a 1989 PRS. Did I lose money on the LP? Yes, a little, though not as much as I thought I would...and the trade was worth it, because I thought the 89 PRS infinitely superior to the LP in every respect. The trade probably cost me a few hundred bucks in lost revenue if I had sold the LP privately. Factor in the fact that I didn't have to pay for advertising, or have strangers coming to the house, or put up with some dickhead trying to haggle me $25....in this case trading the LP was worth it.

Still, truer words were never spoke, "they always rape you on trades". I probably just got done over a little easier on that particular deal than usual. Mind you, I spent 3 hours in the shop negotiating what I thought was a changeover I could live with....but that LP was gone in any event :)

Tenebrae

EDIT: What also helped me make up my mind was the simple fact that this particular PRS was a sensational instrument to play, one of the best I ever played full stop. Did I ever regret the fact that I might have lost $300 odd on the LP. Nah! Never! At all. The simple fact was that I had brought home an instrument to complement my Strat that was an absolute killer instrument. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Yeah, but they always rape you on trades. I'll go through the inventory and see what has been getting less than it's fair share of use.
    :ahem Do you still have that extra bike in the garage?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Are you suggesting that Bob to sell his body?

heh heh heh, if I'm willing to take a slightly bigger hit, I could sell my Santa Cruz outright and have money to spare!

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    Are you suggesting that Bob to sell his body?
    Does he have bodies in the garagre too??!! :bug
    Elvis Costello

HA! Sometimes FireFox substituted avatars for emoticons. When I first saw your post, Neo, instead of this --> I saw Dr. Fene's avatar below:

I thought your were talking euphemistically, not of a motorcycle. What are the chances? :hee

Hey Sinner,

What's the tonal advantage to having the humbucker at the neck position? Would you say it's fatter? Is it more Gibson like? I've never played one with an hb. Just wondering.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Something's not right here guys.

The last time I checked, weeks ago, on 9/2/05, they said the guitar was on hold but the guy's time was almost up. That was a long time ago.

They e-mailed me back and said it's still on hold but they would notify me if the deal fell through. hmmmmmmmmm. Shouldn't they take down the ad?

Quote Originally Posted by 95strat
    Hey Sinner,

What's the tonal advantage to having the humbucker at the neck position? Would you say it's fatter? Is it more Gibson like? I've never played one with an hb. Just wondering.
    Yep, FAT! I happen to like my Nocaster just fine, and find the neck pup has a nice tone, very Fender, for both lead and chords--but a 'bucker in the neck would get you to more gibson territory I'm thinking.

Thanks for the info. I'm searching for a used tele, but just don't know what pups to go with. I'll probably stay with the traditional neck pup, but you never know till you play something you like.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Try the Tele Jr if you must, but you will find it has one flaw. It's too heavy. You might as well have a Lester. That's the beauty of the G&L ASAT Super I posted. It has a chambered mahagony body and that makes it lighter AND more resonant. And, just for you Tele-Bob, balancing the pickups was one of the major design factors when they made the baby.

FWIW, one each of these shipped to Rudy's Music in NY and Guitar Hanger in Brookfield, CT.

The ASAT Super was inspired by the ASAT Junior which emerged from the G&L Custom Creations Department in 1998. The primary design goal of the ASAT Super was to bring substantially more girth to the bridge pickup for overdriven tones, while maintaining the characteristic sparkle of the ASAT Magnetic Field Design pickups and good balance between the output levels of the two pickups.

ASAT Super shares neck pickup specifications with the G&L 20th Anniversary model, while the bridge pickup is more heavily wound with lighter gauge wire. To offset the increased impedance of the pickups and maximize available brightness, the wiring of the tone control was altered so that the capacitor would be effectively removed from the circuit when the potentiometer is in the wide-open position. The G&L Saddle-Lock bridge was chosen to maximize power, sustain and comfort.
    They're REAL anyway.....

I saw the one at Guitar Hangar last week. Just not me. I'm going there tomorrow to put my Les Paul on consignment.

Glad you got to see one. The one in Memphis is just one of those guitars that I have to go visit all the time. It's a little fling on the side so to speak.

Bye-bye Lester! I bet if you show up with money that "hold" will disappear real quick.
    Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

Quote Originally Posted by RCinMempho
    Glad you got to see one. The one in Memphis is just one of those guitars that I have to go visit all the time. It's a little fling on the side so to speak.

Bye-bye Lester! I bet if you show up with money that "hold" will disappear real quick.
    "Right Money Talks and nobody walks!"
    show up with 90% asking price cash an wallah you'll be taking it home!
    tis a beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    show up with 90% asking price cash an wallah you'll be taking it home!
    Good chance. Cash down always piques the interest :)

Tenebrae

RC, click on the link below and the go to "Monthly Specials" and the "Blow Outs"

OSA would love this guitar because of the Bass Boat size red metal flake paint. They're blowing it out for about $1200. I played it today and it absolutely had the best neck of all the G&Ls in the store.

www.guitarhangar.com

Oh Shit! And those are my favorite G&L pups too! And, it matches my boat!

But the gear fund is dedicated to a new Z amp.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Aawwwwwwww! Damn it Tele-Bob!
    Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

TB- Is that LeadI the one you just had?
    It seemed like you were pretty into that thing.

I might have to check the Hangar out. Don't get up that way too often.
    Elvis Costello

Yeah, my Les Paul Jr is up there too.

In all honesty, I really dig the Lead I but like my Esquire, (which I really liked too), I can't justify owning it for the rare times I actually get to use it. I play most of my guitars alot! The ones that don't get played get sold in favor of something that might see more jam time.

Did you pay anywhere near their asking price for it?
    Six bills!:brr
    Elvis Costello

Damn...that is a killer CS Tele, love everything about it. The uber flakey G&L is sweet too. I can't afford GAS...this kind and the one for my trucks. Hope ya get it if it's still for sale TB.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    Did you pay anywhere near their asking price for it?
    Six bills!:brr
    Nah. I bought it "right". The guy at Guitar Hangar thinks the price is steep but that's what I see them going for now.

I'm starting to sell off some of my gear. Ya know how we guitar players like to feel that we've got all the bases covered for the stuff we might be playing? Well, even with 4 bands, I still don't use all my gear. It is so much fun, this buying and selling, but I have reached a point where I just need a little more space and would perhaps enjoy upgrading a couple pieces.

So even if I get the call on the Tele Jr, I'm just going to let it go.

Welp, it's still for sale! But if you call them, it still has a loose deposit on it. I contected them the first time on September 2nd. That's one hell of a loose deposit.

I'm beginning to think these guys are hanging it out there on gbase as bait for people to visit their site.

Those master baiters!
    s'all goof.

farging iceholes!

Well, that guitar is/was nice, and there were some other nice ones on Gbase. I have heard mixed reviews of that place. But the site is great.

The Tele Jr inspired me to get the two P90 Squier. :)
    This is the bitterest pain to human beings: to know much and control nothing.

A little neck binding, t-o-m bridge, and a b-w-b-w-b five ply pickguard and she'd be a Les Paul Special! The strange things people do to Telecasters! Just kidding Tele-Bob...I dig it!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Speaking of strange things you can do to a Tele... Have a look at this "Tangerine over Gold Leaf" :bug Masterbuilt John Cruz 1960 over at Music Zoo. Oddly... beautiful... in a spendy sort of way! (be sure to click 'more pics' and then magnify).

http://www.themusiczoo.com/FenderCus...5JohnCruz.html

Gravity Jim

Just to clarify shoebox's earlier post: the CS Tele Jr. has a chambered mahogany body just like the G&L, so it's not heavy. There was one of these guitars in my studio just last weekend (truly beautiful sunburst), and it was light and flavorful. However, it was not (IMO) worth anything like $2,000. A nice guitar, but no more fun to play or harder rockin' than my cheapie PRS.

Forum Member

I've had one of these in TV yellow for a few years, I didn't read all the posts in this thread but to answer a few of the questions I saw. It's top routed just like all Tele's, It's a chambered body so not so heavy at 7.5 lbs. It has Duncan p-90s on it. Someone mentioned neck through construction, I think it's a set neck not neck through. It's a neat looking guitar but one I have found I like the idea of more than the actual guitar itself, it sounds and feels good but has never really completely endeared itself to me. Mine says #28 out of 100 custom shop on the back of the peghead, to which I ask 100 of what, TV yellows, guitars they made that day? I bought it used in a local store and paid around a grand for it if memory serves, maybe five years ago?
    Last edited by 64lusso; 11-27-2005 at 02:58 PM. Reason: correct an error