Thread: Blonde '51 Squiers at MF-Black guards?

Forum Member

Blonde '51 Squiers at MF-Black guards?

Need some help here guys. I'm jonsing for a Squier '51, blonde. I've got a MF coupon right now for 30 bucks off on a Squier, meaning I can get one for $119, including shipping. The thing is, I can't stand the idea of getting one with a white pickguard, and by the time I pay for a black guard I won't be coming out ahead. I have a line on a black guard version for $149 bucks plus shipping, which I'm tempted to buy just to get WHAT I WANT.

So my question is: has anyone recently purchased a blonde '51 from MF and did it have a black or white guard?

Re: Blonde '51 Squiers at MF-Black guards?

I don't know, but I've wanted one the second I saw it in the catalog.... I must resist...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I believe all of the new model year blonde's come with a black guard.

Of course, if you order based on my words, you're on your own. If I were you I'd call them and ask them, tell them it must have a black gaurd, and if it doesn't, ship it back.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Just buy the one you want. If you are really "jonsing" for one, what difference does a few bucks make? :ahem You may as well have what you want and enjoy it!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

I called MF, and they have no clue what color anything is. The guy told me, "I can't tell from the website." No kidding!

MF is a warehouse they sell boxes with guitars in them they dont open the boxes or have any idea whats in them all they go by is what the bar code says for the model.

Thats why they get so many returns if they opened up the boxes and set the guitars up before they sold them then they would be a guitar store which they arent.

The odds are fairly good that any Blonde '51 they send you will have the black pickguard. The first batch made had black, like the catalog. Then, by the time the catalog hit, all of them had the white guard like the 'burst model. They received complaints, demands for the black guards (which they shipped free to a few stores for a while, then started charging) then, after about 6-8 months, started making them all with the black guards again. I figure a Blonde with white will be the collector's item eventually.

I think MF & most other big stores have sold out of the Blonde with white '51s, and all they have now or will get will be the Blonde with black. If not, why not have both, or ship it back & try again?
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Forum Member

I went ahead and rolled the dice and ordered a blonde model. I figure at 119.99 including shipping, I couldn't go wrong.

I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jholcomb
    I went ahead and rolled the dice and ordered a blonde model. I figure at 119.99 including shipping, I couldn't go wrong.

I hope.
    I felt the same way. $119 including a gig bag and no shipping or tax was too good to pass up. Just ordered a blonde one too.
    Last edited by Dangerine49; 09-05-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Saw these gee-tars today at the GC Labor Day sale.....$99.99. I almost bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFrogs
    Saw these gee-tars today at the GC Labor Day sale.....$99.99. I almost bought one.
    Me too, but I just don't need one at the moment.

I played an Ibanez AF75 hollow body. It was great for all types of music, though it really needed bigger strings, probably flatwound.
    It might be nicer than my ES-135. I liked it better than the Gibson R8 that I played before it, but Les Pauls with Humbuckers just aren't for me.

I've wanted and ES-175 for a while. This guitar may fit the bill.

Forum Member

Got mine yesterday, black pickguard, sweeet!

Forum Member

Mine should arrive today...crossing my fingers for that black pickguard!