Thread: Got my modded Squier 51 together...

Got my modded Squier 51 together...

I liked the way that JohnnyDeformed did his the Squier 51, so I sort of went that route. I already have GFS pickups so I got the Tele Fatboy for the neck and the Liverpool for the bridge. They sound great! I was gonna put my Duncan Antiquity Humbucker in, but the bracket is squared off and I didn't want to route that area of the humbucker cavity just yet. I'm also still waiting to get a push/pull tone pot,but for now it's just the regular tone pot. I've got a dual concentric pot for the volumes for each pup, and I have a mini on-on-on switch between the pots for the pup selector. I added a '91 Tele American Std Rosewood neck. The neck is great, but I may opt to sell it and get a Tele rosewood neck that is a bit chunkier.

Here's a couple of quick pics till I can take some better ones.

Re: Got my modded Squier 51 together...

Looks good, ION. What did you end up doing with the neck? Did you shim, or were you able to get a set up as it was?
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

I used a small piece of wood venner I had under this neck on another Tele. I still can't get the neck quite flat, so on the next string change, I may shim it a tiny bit more, or give in and have my luthier have a go at it.

I still have one wiring issue to work out, which is real odd. The mini 2 way pup switch isn't turning on both pups. I've reviewed the wiring diagram over and over and it should work. I know the switch isn't bad. Tried 2 of them. It has to be something so obvious I can't see it. Always is!

Those GFS pups sounds really good as I knew they would. That Tele Fatboy is just great! Twang with Beef!

Forum Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...d1&src=3TP5HVC
    FYI, one can pick up a Squire '51 for $119.00, free shipping and gig bag included! Click on the link then order, the discount will show on the order.

Forum Member

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but figured I'd post about my modded '51.

I replaced the neck with a Mighty Mite Tele neck that has a rosewood fretboard. I painted the headstock to match the body color.

Pickguard is a 3-ply W/B/W from pickguardian.com.

I converted the body to string-through and used a Telecaster humbucker bridge.

Here are some pics:

Since the pics were taken, I have put a 3-way Les Paul type switch in the front hole on the plate and installed a concentric volume/tone control in the bottom hole.

Jim