Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: the real truth about mexican pickups

Re: the real truth about mexican pickups

Find YOUR sound----be it $25 imports with the huge magnet hanging off the bottom,or the "booteek" wound-by-hand-in-a-sterile-germ free-environment-using converted plutonium fed ferrules-with genuine '50s wire-that Leo Fender touched,transferring his DNA.:lol

One of my favorite pups is the old Teisco---very complex,but microphonic enough to yell," Break 1-9,good buddy" into it.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

A thread that will live in infamy. Forever. Unfortunately.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

Quote Originally Posted by telecast
    A thread that will live in infamy. Forever. Unfortunately.
    Yes, it does go on a bit, doesn't it? More warp than weave.

Now, I like the Mexican pups in my Mexi Standard Strat. Very nicely balanced pups with no notable vices, IMHO. Sound great through my amps. That's about the extent of the _real truth_ about MiM pups for me.

Having said that, it's the _real truth_ about those pups pups made in the secret facility in _New_ Mexico that I'm concerned about. In particular, the Fender "Area 51s" made at their Roswell factory (note there _no_ mention of the Roswell facility on the Fender web-site.)

Coincidence? I think not...

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger
    made at their Roswell factory (note there _no_ mention of the Roswell facility on the Fender web-site.)
    It's there, but it's in code. Look for the term 'ROSeWood'.

It's there, but it's in code. Look for the term 'ROSeWood'.
    Now it's all so clear! And "Ebony" is obviously a reference to "Men in Black".

But... if _you_ know the code... then that means...

And all this time I thought MiB stood for "Made in Bulgaria". What a

Did you "flashy thing" me?

-Mark

Forum Member

Moreover, a lot of people tinker because that's all they have to do. I'm going to hazard a wild guess that a HUGE part of aftermarket parts sales are couch players. When you sit home and evaluate the guitar all day, you're going to hear things you don't like, real or imagined. 99% of those things would never be discernable in a band situation.

I have never ever changed pickups in a guitar I bought to play. I have changed them in guitars I bought for a project. Once they're in, the chance of me changing them again is slim to none. I have never had anyone come up to me and complain about the way I sound, or suggest I need different pickups. There's a point of diminishing returns with anything, and IMO, you've reached it well before you spend multiple hundreds of dollars for a set of Tele pups.

Discounting a guitar that doesn't sound good is a personal preference, thanks. Changing pickups is no guarantee the guitar will ever sound the way you want.
    There is no guarentee your project guitars will sound good but you build them don't you?

Your premise that people replace pickups for "better" tone is flawed in my opinion. I change pups all the time for "different" tone. Pull out Seth Lover and replace with Tone Zone for example leaves you with a very differnt axe suitable for an entirely differnt range of sounds.

What was this thread about?
    All I know is I've swapped out MiM standard ceramics, indeed for better pickups. I have found MiM standard pickups to have a real problem with low volume on the high E string. I've replaced them to get rid of that problem. There some set of ceramic pickups that don't have that problem and sound fantastic.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect
    There is no guarentee your project guitars will sound good but you build them don't you?
    Yes, but unless there is a serious mechanical problem, or they sound really bad, they never get modded afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect
    Your premise that people replace pickups for "better" tone is flawed in my opinion.
    You want to argue semantics? 'Better' or 'different'. Most guys want a different sound they believe suits them better.

It's a rare bird that changes pickups for a different sound over and over in the same guitar. In fact, I can't think of a single reason to do it.

Your opinion is flawed in my opinion.

"the real truth about mexican pickups..."

My God. I simply had... no... idea..............