Thread: "dead" strings?

Forum Member

"dead" strings?

I have a 52 RI Tele, with the vintage (three saddle) bridge. I recently changed the strings, and two of the strings feel and sound "dead". If I hold the guitar in my lap, and pluck the other strings, I can feel the whole instrument resonate with that note. The two dead strings, though, I do not. When I am playing chords, I can definately hear that something is not "right".

The two dead strings are G and high E. They are on different saddles, on different sides. The other strings on those saddle sound fine. The High E string is cutting a nice groove into the bronze of the saddle, but that is expected.

I have no experience with these vintage bridges, so I am sure that I am doing something wrong. Dan Erlewine's book didn't help much.

Thanks!

Brain dump coming up ....

Did you change string gauge or brand? What brand and gauge are they? Were they new strings or had you had them for a while? Are they clean and smooth? Is the angle of break over the nut any different from the other strings? Is the break over the nut nice and clean, or is the string sitting up a little on the fretboard side? Do the nut slots slope backwards, away from the fretboard. Do you get that creaking noise when you tune up, typical of strings sticking in the nut slots? Does the break point at the bridge look OK. Did you have problems fitting them, e.g. did you have to wind 'em on, off and back on again? Did you clean the strings with a cloth at any point? Are the pickups really close to the strings? Any fret buzz? Anything else odd?

If a plain string falls into the space right next to or against the saddle height screw it can sometimes make weird sounds. If the saddle grooves are too deep or rough, the same thing can happen - you can clean them up with some really fine sandpaper(1000 grit). Also make sure the saddles or height screws aren't resting on the bridge screws - that's usually more of a problem with the low E string but...

For the plain E string, check how the string goes thru the string retainer and that the retainer isn't loose. G strings can sound weird if not enough turns are wound down around the tuner - I like to get 5-6 full turns on all my plain strings - helps keep things in tune as well.

If all else fails, try a different set of strings. Just because they're new doesn't always mean they're good.

Forum Member
    One or two other things. The string may be getting pinched at the nut or the saddle. This can kill the natural vibrations enough to cause this - but it is rare. The other thing that comes to mind is the possibility that the height adjustment screws under the problem strings are not making solid connection with the bridgeplate. Since the strings that are opposite your problem strings have more tension on them than the ones that are causing the problem, they can use the saddle as a lever and lift the other side just enough to de-couple them from the bridge plate. Sounds unlikely, but I have seen this many times. Maybe corrosion helps the saddle use the intonation screws as a pivot. I have also seen the same thing with strat saddles where one height adjustment screw is not making a solid connection with the bridge plate. This is not as bad for the sound though since strat saddles are not as long and also made from a different material. But I digress. Try giving the height adjustment screw closest to the offending strings a quarter to half turn while watching the saddle to see if it moves immediately or not. Obviously, you can then just listen and see if the problem is gone. As was previously mentioned, bad strings DO come straight out of new packages . . . . .