Thread: "Muffled" sounding amp

"Muffled" sounding amp

Using my Strat, on the same settings, I compared my Deluxe Plus 112 (solid state) against a brand new Pro Junior today, and my Deluxe sounds quite "muffly", like it had "some kind of blockage". I'm not saying that it's "bad" (horrible) sounding, but it's like the tone knob is turned all the way up, when there is no tone control on the pup. Are my ears going funny on me, or is that why people are still singing praises for tube amps? Inquiring mind wants to know...

Forum Member

Re: "Muffled" sounding amp

Could be the speaker. How many speakers have I heard that sounded muffled... I lost count. I do remember trying one of those amps and (no offense, but) being less than impressed. It didn't feel like Kevin Eubanks world where it felt like a blanket was over the amp, but it just sounded lifeless to me.

I'm sure there are some damn good transistor-based amps out there, but a really good tube amp is easier to find, IMHO.

Yep, if possible, try it through known good speakers. Speakers is a place where amp manufacturers often cheap out.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

...ironically enough!!! I can understand putting crappy tubes in a tube amp, but a crappy speaker in a transistor amp??!!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler
    ...ironically enough!!! I can understand putting crappy tubes in a tube amp, but a crappy speaker in a transistor amp??!!?!?
    It's gonna be crappy circuit boards next!

Thanks gentlemen. I think my Deluxe has got itself a name: Kenny.

Forum Member

...as in Kenny from South Park? You'll decapitate your amp soon? ;)

Yes, as in Kenny in South Park. Mmmmff mmmfff mmfmmfmfffff!

It was lucky that I didn't kill it when I was replacing the input socket.

Then again, was I lucky that I didn't get electrocuted?

Hmm, decapitate it? What, like taking out the capacitators? :rofl

it's all a matter of perspective. I find tube amps if there working right allways sound a better then SS amps. Before i bought mine. I tried out dozens an donzens of solid states. But i found all of them to sound kinda tiny an souless. then min i plugged into my HRDX, I was hooked. I love the tone an the :"wall of sound that came from it" And I couldn't belive the price either. Since i've played alot of chepo 60's amps like harmonys or garners. Which haven't really worked right. Picked up up all the noise from lights an hummed like MOFOS. So i understand why people in the 70's craved cheap nice soundind SS amps back in the day. I hope your happy with your new purchase, for what it counts i think you made the right choice

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation80
    it's all a matter of perspective. I find tube amps if there working right allways sound a better then SS amps.
    I've played plenty of tube amps that sound worse than most solid state amps. Ones that were "working right" too. Poor design, bad components.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I've played plenty of tube amps that sound worse than most solid state amps. Ones that were "working right" too. Poor design, bad components.
    Well yeah, I stated that about some harmonys, and garnets I've played. Both sounded like rubbish. Quality, is quality no matter what way you decide to go. But theres just something sweet about the warm tone of a tube amp. That no matter how hard SS try to emulate it. They just don't suceed. Just look at Line 6, create, what ever. They all have some cheesy setting trying to knock off vintage fenders an marshalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    Personally, I've never liked the red knob Fender tube amps...I'd rather have one of the newer blackface SS Fender amps.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

I played an "Evil Twin" that sounded like shit! That turned me off real quick. Was told they were unreliable. Didn't believe it. 2 weeks later, it was in need of some major work. Sold it off afterwards.