Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuzz Pedals - Any Recommendations?

Fuzz Pedals - Any Recommendations?

I am lookign of adding a fuzz pedal to my lineup. Does anyone have any recommendations? any favorites?

Re: Fuzz Pedals - Any Recommendations?

Big Muff. Get the USA one. Fat, lardacious, booty-licious fuzz!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Hello Hello--
    Go to WWW.OTTOSGUITARS.COM
    Email me from the site and I'll point you in the right direction.
    Brian.

Forum Member

For vintage crazy one note only, mangled spurty octave,fast decay fuzz then try the univox superfuzz. The Boss Fz-2 Hyperfuzz does the same just not as good. Both are cool for that "Garage" old b-movie soundtrack stuff. The Boss does have two fuzz modes, bass and treb adjust and a decent boost going for it. If you want that "classic" fuzz go with what RickenJangle suggests and try out a Big Muff. The dod classic fuzz is a decent little unit too. I found that the muff and the classic fuzz get you that compressed "violin" type tones when you are running them through an overdriven tube amp or a decent overdrive box. Of course there are many more to choose from out there but those four are the ones I have owned / own.

Forum Member

Man, this topic gets on about twice a month!!http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_soundsamples.html

Take yer pic!!

CT.:ahem

Quote Originally Posted by RedRain
    The Boss Fz-2 Hyperfuzz does the same just not as good.

The dod classic fuzz is a decent little unit too.
    Of these two, I much preferred the DOD, too.

I heard that someone made a "flashback" fuzz, or something like that, that I wanted to try out. But for me, it begins and ends with the Big Muff.

Forum Member

The DOD has alot more uses than the Fz-2. I am pretty sure the Flashback fuzz was a later version of the classic fuzz. It had an extra knob, but I cant remember what it did. I think mabye a midgrange mabye? Ya, no matter what fuzz pedals have come and gone you def have to tip your hat to the BigMuff. It's legendary.

Anyone try the SD Tweak Fuzz? I have heard good things.

Forum Member

I havent used any of the "new wave" of fuzz boxes. The soundclips from the MJM website that Cocotone hooked everyone up with are pretty cool. I wouldnt mind having one of each.

Forum Member

I have a clunky, black, Russian Big Muff, which is the proverbial shizznit for the limited use it gets. I normally use the dirty channel on my Carvin X-100B instead of the fuzz, but I've been experimenting with the Big Muff and a Danelectro Dan-Echo pedal in the effects loop.

Weird, but cool......

Does anyone know if a 9V adapter from Radio Shack will run a Big Muff? I like the pedal, but it's a freakin' battery hog!!! There isn't a plug for an adapter, and 9V's aren't exactly cheap....
    70's re-issue Stratocaster.......

D'Addarrio XL 10-46's

Marshall G215RCD

'88 Carvin X-100B w/ GT E34L's

Sovtek Mig 100U, Sovtek 5881's

Old, patchouli-reeking Peavey 412F cab

Ibanez TS-9 RI

EH Big Muff Pi

Danelectro Dan-Echo, FAB Metal, FAB Overdrive, and Dan-o-Wah(don't laugh, it's my son's..)pedals

Guess I don't have an excuse to NOT learn how to play, now....
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forum Member

Update:

I-Spot makes a 9v adapter for pedals that lack an AC jack. I can now run my Big Muff sans batteries for as long as I want!!!!

Yay......

D'Addarrio XL 10-46's

Marshall G215RCD

Ibanez TS-9 RI

EH Big Muff Pi

Danelectro Dan-Echo, FAB Metal, FAB Overdrive, and Dan-o-Wah(don't laugh, it's my son's..)pedals

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyc007
    Anyone try the SD Tweak Fuzz? I have heard good things.

I've got one. It's very, very good. Lots of sounds available with that tweak control. I would say that it wins in the "bang-for-buck" category.

I've owned a Fulltone 69 (sold in a fit of insanity) and a ZVex Fuzz Factory. Both were slightly superior to the Seymour Duncan but both cost a bit more too, of course.

I wish I could remember what I was smoking the day I ebayed my 69 pedal because its fuzz was fat, lucious, silky or wild, awesome - everything you'd want out of a fuzz pedal.

The ZVex was fantastic as well. I actually sold that because it did too much! I thought I could get a good fuzz sound out of something else without all of its bells and whistles. A big bonus on the Fuzz Factory was its small case - nice on a crowded pedalboard.

Found the Seymour Duncan on ebay for about $80 and it works for me.

If/when I find myself in a financial state where I can treat myself to a few pedals every now and then I'm going back to the Fulltone 69.
    s'all goof.

The Boss DS-1 Distortion can be effective is some situations. Steve Vai uses it and gets some nice tones.
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Quote Originally Posted by mmcquain
    The Boss DS-1 Distortion can be effective is some situations. Steve Vai uses it and gets some nice tones.

The fuzz settings of my stock DS-1 have back-burnered my fuzz-lust. When I do get off the pot, I'd like to try one of the Fulltone offerings(th 69 or 70). Or the SD TweakFuzz
    Time wounds all heels.

Try the Analog Man Sun Face, I love mine!! He hand picks the NOS NKT-275 and closely matches up the pairs. Used my many pro musicians. He uses the same fuzz face technology of the original, but where the old fuzzes were hit or miss these are not! I love mine! Did I say that already?

The only issue I have with fuzz pedals is that in my situation, I can't be loud enough to sit in the mix well. When I do an true guitar solo, I mean "all alone" I use it, or when we do a three peice song where I am the only guitar playing. ie: I've been using it on "Fire" where I roll back the vol. knob and have an nice gritty rythmn, then up for the chords where I just let them ring. Then for the lead riff I kick on the beano boost!! Here is a look at the pedal:

I have the Sun Lion, the Beano/Sun Face combo:

A pedal board pic from Aug. 05.

Here is the Sun Face alone:
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

I had a Russian Big Muff. I didn't care for the sound. It's a little darker and more modern sounding than a Fuzz Face and bypassed, it will suck the soul out of your tone.

I have a Fulltone '69 now.
    It's a great fuzz pedal. Very nasty sounding.

I've had a number of the Muff Pi's, both vintage and modern, and the very best of them (IMHO) is the gray and blue one that came out before Sovtek started making the army-green ones. Sure wish I had that one back again.

Forum Member

Franklin, Nice set-up! how do you like the mini peterson tuner? Can you set intonation with it?

Yes!! It's so sensitive that you need to be careful not to put any pressure on the neck/tuners when you tune! I intonate the guitars in the playing position, awesome!!
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin
    Yes!! It's so sensitive that you need to be careful not to put any pressure on the neck/tuners when you tune! I intonate the guitars in the playing position, awesome!!
    I tried one of those at NAMM. For me, it's too sensitive for live work.

Maybe they should make a dumbed down mode.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I'd also recommend the E-H Double Muff. Pretty much a pair of the old Muff Fuzz effects in series.

In "single" mode, it's a fairly mild fuzz that can act as more of a boost/overdrive. In "double" mode, it gets into Big Muff territory.

No tone control, but it seems to be set pretty well as-is. Definitely worth the $50 or whatever they're going for nowadays (I think I paid $55 brand new in the box over the summer, and the holiday sales are coming).

I've got a few cool sounding fuzzes. If you like the octave up type a la 'Purple Haze' the PE Experience and/or FaceLift are great for that gnarly "amp is broken?" "WTF!" moments. FaceLift come in germanium or silicon flavours, Experience is silicon and has a huge bass boost.

For the creamier, smooth type fuzz I'm using a Fulltone SoulBender, a Colorsound ToneBender clone, basically. Nails the old Yardbirds fuzz tones.

Just last week I found a used Blackbox Ultraviolet2 that does both the exploding amp and the liquidy thing equally well. It's got 3 strange tone controls that seem to work like wah pedals. Lots of different tones squeezed into this one.

But the one I'd really love to try is the Retroman Sybil. Silicon AND germanium trannys in one pedal. Clips on site sound good. Has anyone tried one?

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidedave View Post
    I've got a few cool sounding fuzzes. If you like the octave up type a la 'Purple Haze'
    Is there an octave effect in Purple Haze? I have a Boss OC 2 but it doesn't pull it off?!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bleedingtoe View Post
    Is there an octave effect in Purple Haze?
    During the solo. It's a proto-octavia. Once you know what it is, you can spot it a mile away. The last time I heard one on the radio, it was on Blue on Black...Kenny Wayne Shephard, maybe?

I like the singer and the song better than the guitar work on that.
    orange picks

Thanks, I'll look it up. So, a Boss OC 2 is a different beast?

Quote Originally Posted by John Bleedingtoe View Post
    Thanks, I'll look it up. So, a Boss OC 2 is a different beast?
    I'm pretty sure the Boss is a pedal that generates octaves digitally. An octavia-type pedal is way more anarchic than that.

Go here and download a clip. You'll hear the difference.
    orange picks

Thanks Kap'n, I'll download at home - can't d/load at work. Know of anyone who does an Octave pedal in a mxr-sized box?

Forum Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am lookign of adding a fuzz pedal to my lineup. Does anyone have any recommendations? any favorites?
    Isaiah 38:20
    --------------

Fuzz Head,
    Huckleberry,
    Little Big Muff
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member

I'm jonesing for either an Analogman Sun Face or a Skreddy Pink Flesh, especially the Skreddy....

D'Addarrio XL 10-46's

Marshall G215RCD

Ibanez TS-9 RI

EH Big Muff Pi

What fuzz tone? There is the Big Muff class, the fuzz face class and at least one other class of fuzz style pedals. You have the GE and SI based versions as well. All sound a bit different and do different things. Little Big Muff for an inexpensive muff style to Skreddy Pedals for that vibe. I like the hybrids. So I like the Huckleberry and Keeley Fuzz Head for my other fuzz tones.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyc007 View Post
    Bro, if you like early Hendrix, SRV, Cream, and Robin Trower tone, get the London Fuzz 1 or 2. My friend has the London Fuzz 1 and HOLY SHITTT it fuckin RIPSSSS!!! There are sounds clips of Phillp Sayce ripping on these pedals. Do check it out.
    http://www.mjmguitarfx.com/mjm_london_fuzz.html

The Big Muff is all right compared to the London Fuzz pedal.

I love my Big Muff Pi, but if I were looking for Hendrix, I'd pass on it...it's more of a Sonic Youth sound...Germanium Fuzz Face clones are what I'd check out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Try the Analog Man Sun Face, I love mine!! He hand picks the NOS NKT-275 and closely matches up the pairs. Used my many pro musicians. He uses the same fuzz face technology of the original, but where the old fuzzes were hit or miss these are not! I love mine! Did I say that already?

The only issue I have with fuzz pedals is that in my situation, I can't be loud enough to sit in the mix well. When I do an true guitar solo, I mean "all alone" I use it, or when we do a three peice song where I am the only guitar playing. ie: I've been using it on "Fire" where I roll back the vol. knob and have an nice gritty rythmn, then up for the chords where I just let them ring. Then for the lead riff I kick on the beano boost!! Here is a look at the pedal:

I have the Sun Lion, the Beano/Sun Face combo:

A pedal board pic from Aug. 05.

Here is the Sun Face alone:
    The Sunfaces are hit-or-miss. I've heard some great sounding clips. I bought one (they ain't cheap) and it sounded like crap, but so did the Fulltone '69.

I like the Rat tone, MJM and Retroman's fuzz's. Don't forget about Home Brew Electronics, Throbak, etc.

Also check out the Psionic Audio 3.14 (3.14=Pi, get it???)

OK, I know I said that the sun rises and sets on the Big Muff. But I just picked up a used SD Tweak Fuzz and that thing has tons of great sounds in it! (no octave up but then I'd never use that). I just downloaded the manual, and am going to try out some of the recommended settings, -but I couldn't make this pedal sound bad!

And - with gain at or below half, and the tweak on lowest setting, volume well up - I can get that Fuzz Face sound that cleans up well with the volume knob. Wicked.

"We Ride Tonight...to the GUITAR BITE~!"

Forum Member

BYOC Large Beaver = big muff clone, same thing but better, the tone control gives it more flex. Plus its smaller... I actually think the sound of the BYOC is more detailed.

KYC

I want to like the sound of a Big Muff, but it always disappears in a band context.

I dig a good Fuzz Face, and I had an old Vox Tone Bender that was pretty sick. I had a Soulbender, but I wasn't so impressed.

I'd like to check out a Jordan Bosstone some time.
    orange picks

The Love pedal 200 lbs of tone works really well for a little or alot of fuzz.
    Now my Foxx tone pedal Is real cool, it has fuzz and an octive If you choose.
    Another fuzz type pedal I have Is an old 70's Morley power wha fuzz that Is really wild.
    Oh the tone

Forum Member

The BYOC Large Beaver has a 4 position tone control. 1 is standard big muff curve, 2 is no curve, 3 is midrange hump, 4 is tone bypass. So you get that midrange back that disappears in a band setting. But like I said on the amp board, its put away.

P e a c e
    KYC

I've found that Fuzz pedals can work good in a power trio, but my Big Muff only works to play power chords behind verses, 'cause it provides a nice soft cushy bed. But to switch to it for leads, well, it just doesn't cut through in a cluttered band mix...totally masked by keyboards and acoustic guitar.