Thread: Painting a clear pickguard?

Painting a clear pickguard?

If I wanted to paint the backside of a clear guard silver, is there any type of spray paint better than another.

Any other recommendations on spraying it? Technique, number of coats? Thanks in advance!

fezz parka

Re: Painting a clear pickguard?

I painted the backside of the PG on my M77T. Used a spray bomb that was metallic nickel silver. Just used two coats. Worked real good!

Fezz, that is exactly what I'm doing. Painting the guard on my black M77-T as well.

What is a spray bomb?

Can you recommend a brand? Did you need to do anything to the guard before applying paint?

Thanks!

Just be sure the underside is good and clean.
    I taped of the front and edges too.
    If you do get some overspray on the edges, you can rub it off with 0000 steel wool or wetsanding paper. The matte edges are in keeping with the quasi-Gretsch vibe.

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showpi...=531&pid=36296

For paint, I think I used Krylon, or Rustoleum. Whatever they had a Home Depot. I'll check when I get home, if you want to know for sure.

Looks way better than clear!:yay
    If you look closely at the picture, you can see that I ground off the stop on the Digsby, so I full rotation of the handle. I can get over to the bass strings and still have normal leverage.
    Good, quick mod.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by InstituteOfNoise
    What is a spray bomb?

Can you recommend a brand? Did you need to do anything to the guard before applying paint?
    What Neo said, just make sure the underside is clean. I used alcohol so the paint didn't fisheye.

Spray bomb=rattle can.

I just picked the paint up at OSH. Look for "nickel silver" metallic.

Ahh... Nice pic. I saw one on eBay done that way, but it also had the GFS New Yorker Retrotrons I was thinking on trying in it. I have white 2k pups on it now and they stand out too much. The GFS are black.

Thanks guys!

Forum Member

About 100 years ago, I had a guitar that had a clear red, plexiglass pickguard. (The guitar was a mid- 50s Fender Duo Sonic, and the pickguard was not original.) I crumbled up some tinfoil, and put it underneath the pickguard. It looked great -- a red, sparkle guard.

id sand it with some 600 grit, then spray it with some automotive paint. Look for spray cans with a blue nozel. they spray more evenly
    Last edited by Constellation80; 06-23-2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: ohh you painted it allready haha nevermind

No! Do not sand it! The end result will be dull and possibly show sanding marks.

You might want to go one step further and cover the bottom with aluminum tape or contact paper. Doing so will help to insure that the paint never flakes off or discolors the finish on your guitar. It also gives the added benefit of shielding if you choose the aluminum tape and connect it to the guitar's ground.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Beg to differ Bob, I would sand it with 1000 grit. Then clean it with 100% isopropol. Some clear acrylics have a residue from the manufacturing process, or glue from the paper protection that you peel off. Trick is to use very light pressure, no circular motion, and a block to make sure you don't dig into any areas. Just knock the shine off.

We often used clear acrylic to make covers on aircraft, and then painted then as described. As long as the painted side is uniform, it will look great. If you can see sanding marks though, they wil lbe apparent on the finish side.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

But why ruin a glass like finish that already exists? Just clean it with alcohol and paint it. Plexiglas/acrylic takes paint very well with out having to rough up the surface to make it stick. It just doesn't make sense to me to intentionally ruin the glass-like factory surface when there's no need to. In the case of an aircraft or some other application where the painted surface might actually come into contact with the wind or elements I could see giving the surface a little bit of a "tooth" to hold the paint, but on a pickguard it is totally unnecessary and in fact will diminish the appearance to certain degree. When using an acrylic based paint, the solvent used to propel the paint will also lightly soften the acyrlic you're spraying it on making for an excellent bond. It's an ideal application. I have done this and had pickguards last 25 years with no chipping, flaking or peeling except around some of the screw holes where the paint stuck to the body. That was on the ones I didn't coat with foil tape after I was done painting them. Sanding the pickguard is just making extra work for yourself which will yield no benefit in this situation. That's been my experience anyway.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Unless the guard's damaged, I think doing anything but clean it well with alcohol is just adding unneccesary steps.
    I did that black guitar I had at the jam this way. 2+ years and no flakes (aside from maybe the operator) or discoloring, so far.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The one's Ive seen it done to look real good and they weren't sanded. I think isopropyl, paint alone and a few coats done right sounds like the deal. Besides if I mess it up, I can always waste $20 and buy one done from Pickguardian.com if I ruin it.

fezz parka

Don't sand it. Both Neo and I have actual experience painting the same guard you're painting. Also 2+ years after painting mine, there's no separation or flaking. Just make sure it's clean ( no dishwashing soap or it will fisheye) it'll be fine.:yay

I didn't know that the paint would adhear to the plastic so well. I just use sanding as a basic rule to all painting.. sorry for the mistake.. And i use sanding sometimes to get a nicer glass like finish on things. But if hey as long as it sticks it's all good right ?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    Unless the guard's damaged, I think doing anything but clean it well with alcohol is just adding unneccesary steps.
    I did that black guitar I had at the jam this way. 2+ years and no flakes (aside from maybe the operator) or discoloring, so far.
    but did ya bother to wet sand it ? or did you just paint over the old finish ?

fezz parka

It's a clear plexiglass pickguard. It's like painting the inside of a window. Paint the back and you're done!

Forum Member

Reminds me of when, as a kid, my Dad and I would paint the inside of our thin walled, clear plastic slot car bodies with a brush (no sanding required) and high quality model paints. All kinds of brush marks inside, but turn the body right side up, and it was perfectly consistent color and glossy finish (thanks to the plastic!). Always amazed me.