Thread: American Standard Bridge

Forum Member

American Standard Bridge

Hello all....I just got an American Standard that was on sale...actually it's a 96 Lonestar. I just absolutely loved the neck on it, it seemes "fatter" than most AM STD's I've played...anyhoo...

I'm a bit flumoxed on setting up the bridge...the previous owner jacked the front posts up and has the bridge "floating" so the front and back are parallel to the body. I know this isn't right!?!

Can someone explain to me how to set it up...I an used to a vintage trem, and have no idea how to set this one up...

sroux, I'm suprized you haven't gotten a response yet! Your right, this is not 'factory' spec.

Use your Trem arm and lift it so the bridge plate is horizontal to the body and adjust the posts down toward the body. The posts setup your action height, and then release the trem arm and adjust the trem spring claw so the back of the bridge plate is 1/8" above the body. Readjust the action height to your liking and reset the 1/8" at the back of the bridge plate. That should get you back to factory specs and allow adequate up and down trem movement.

NOTE: It may be that the trem spring claw was just tightened down and the posts not adjusted so try readjusting the trem claw first.

This was probably done to avoid having the guitar go out of tune after breaking a string. Quick and dirty way of sort of 'blocking' the trem. It should allow a 'dive' when playing but not allow you to trem sharp. There are some advantages to this config.

Chances are you will have to have an intonation done and the action checked after bringing her back to the stock config.

Hope this helps......

Hammer on......Blair
    Last edited by blair; 07-27-2002 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Member

bridge solution

hey Blair, thanks for the reply!..

I knew that the bridge was setup wrong. I've seen Am Std's with the bridge set up flush to the body, but not like it was set up.

Icranked the posts down, and did as you say, MUCH better!!!

Thanks again....

Forum Member
    Get Dan Erlewine's book "How to make your electric guitar play great". It shows you in depth how to set up any bridge!

He talks about different set-ups and even describes the effect that different springs have on the feel/sound. Lots of pictures too.