Thread: fender american ash tele question

fender american ash tele question

I'm looking at teles and there is an american tele I'm interested in. They say it is an american ash tele. Is there any way to tell the ash and alder apart just by looking at them or is there a serial number difference?
    Me fail english? That's unpossible!

TFF Stage Crew

Re: fender american ash tele question

What year is it? Serial number will start with Zx, where 'x' is a number 0-5, that'll tell you if it's a 2000-2005. 'Z' stands for zero. In the last couple years Fender seems intent on only making ash Teles in natural ash color, so you'd know right away. A few years ago they also made ash Teles in Sienna Suburst, and before that there were also white over ash.

However, in all cases, you can see the ash grain through the finish. Since they charge you more for the ash, they always choose finishes that show the grain.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    However, in all cases, you can see the ash grain through the finish. Since they charge you more for the ash, they always choose finishes that show the grain.
    In the case of the 011-8502-* "American Ash Telecaster" that's true, you only have the 03 and 67 finishes (though curiously no 21!), but Fender currently makes any number of ash-bodied instruments with opaque paint jobs.

I know, it seems dumb to me, too. I guess they can throw together anything and not have to worry about grain matching.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

TFF Stage Crew

...but Fender currently makes any number of ash-bodied instruments with opaque paint jobs.
    Instruments... maybe. American Telecasters, no. Bongo, I'm looking at their website right now, and as far as American Telecasters (which was his question) go, there are none that are ash with opaque finishes.

Now... there are a few in the Artist Series, like the Muddy, Gatton, Jimmy Bryant and (ugh) the J5, but American Telecasters... no.

It is a 2004. It is a two tone sunburst, so it checks out with the fender website that has the blonde and the burst. Could I compare pics from the website with the woodgrain?

Ash Fenders (Tele or Strat) generally (almost always) have a burst, clear, or semi opaque finish, showing off the grain of the wood. Ash grain has much more contrast, with fatter, darker grain lines compared to alder. Conversely, most alder guitars are solid color (except the traditional 3 color burst), because the alder grain is rather plain and uninteresting to look at.

Also, there's quite a tone difference (to me anyway). Ash sounds brighter or punchier than alder, which has a mellower, warmer tone.

Using these criteria, it's usually pretty simple to tell the two apart. Hope this helps.
    And in the end... The love you take is equal to the love you make.

Here's a photo of my 2004 American Series Tele in two toneburst with ash body.

Hey, thanks a lot for that pic. That is exactly what it looks like. Thanks for everyones help.