Thread: '51 Nocaster v. '52 American Vintage

Forum Member

'51 Nocaster v. '52 American Vintage

I'm gassing for a Tele and would like an early '50s replica like the Custom Shop Nocaster or the regular production American Vintage. What would I be getting with the Nocaster that would justify the additional cost? I don't mind paying more to get more, I just want to know what that more is.

Re: '51 Nocaster v. '52 American Vintage

The 51 Nocaster will have an all nitro finish the 52ri is poly and nitro.

Better pickups and wood on the Nocaster a huge 1" thick neck that makes it sustain better.

If you get a chance to play a Nocaster and a 52ri at the same time you will know real quick which one you like the best.

If $$ is no object go for the Nocaster if $$ are tight go for the 50's Classic and change its pickups.

ya know, you just made my argument for getting a 50's Classic!
    thanks M ;)

what do you think of the 50's esquire? pros/cons?
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso
    I'm gassing for a Tele and would like an early '50s replica like the Custom Shop Nocaster or the regular production American Vintage. What would I be getting with the Nocaster that would justify the additional cost? I don't mind paying more to get more, I just want to know what that more is.
    You sorta answered your own question: "I don't mind paying more to get more." Pay more--get the Nocaster = get more. (I love mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    ya know, you just made my argument for getting a 50's Classic!
    thanks M ;)

what do you think of the 50's esquire? pros/cons?
    The ESQ is awesome here is one my friend has he let me borrow for a weekend. I almost told him robbers took it from me at gunpoint didnt want to give it back.

http://www.marcondo.com/marcondo/ESQ/index.html

Its light plays like a dream and even sounds pretty good with the stock pickup. With a good aftermarket pickup it would kill.

Forum Member

My great passion is for my Nocaster. But like the guys above, an MIM '50s Classic, or a '50s Classic Esquire would be a great choice. An Esquire with something like an SD Antiquity pup would be a dream. The '52 ri is a good guitar, but I never got passionate about it, it was just to, errr, neutral. It did everything well, but it never had the subtly of the Nocaster, nor does it have the raw fun of the MIM Classics. Maybe I'm just perverse, but like with Strats, I either like CS, or a cheaper MIM. The ones in the middle do very little for me.

Forum Member

If I wanted to get a '51 Nocaster with a humbucker neck rout, would it be better to buy a '51 and have a local luthier modify it, or special order it that way through the Custom Shop?

That 50's Esquire is pretty cool. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it routed for a neck pickup too?

Quote Originally Posted by itbepopples
    That 50's Esquire is pretty cool. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it routed for a neck pickup too?
    i thought i read @ MF that it had an 'esquire' route, which was what i assumed a 'no neck pup route'........?????

8]
    Imanidiot.

The ESQ has a neck pickup route.

Its just a 50's Classic with the neck pickup removed different pickguard wiring and decal.

Forum Member

The Esquire has always had the same body and routings as a normal Tele, going way way back to the early '50s.

I have both a 52 RI and a 51 NoCaster. The 52 RI is one of the most resonant 52's I've played. The pickups were so-so, and got replaced with TX specails. The NoCaster is definately a superior instruments in every way. The total Nitro finish is better, the feel is better, the FAT neck is better. They are both great guitars, but the NoCaster just takes great to a much greater level :-)

Forum Member

If I wanted to get a '51 Nocaster with a humbucker neck rout, would it be better to buy a '51 and have a local luthier modify it, or special order it that way through the Custom Shop?
    I shudder at the thought, but as you are asking 'what if's', I should say you need a basic bog standard CS Nocaster to start off with, then if not satisfied, get a Masterbuilder to make something like a Keith Richards 'thingy' (the name escapes me). Otherwise you just end up with a butchered Nocaster.

It would cost way less to get a stock 51 Nocaster and have a qualified person do the route.

If the CS did it that makes a 2k guitar into a 4k priced guitar.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Camoradi
    I shudder at the thought, but as you are asking 'what if's', I should say you need a basic bog standard CS Nocaster to start off with, then if not satisfied, get a Masterbuilder to make something like a Keith Richards 'thingy' (the name escapes me). Otherwise you just end up with a butchered Nocaster.
    Yeah, Micawber would be the obvious reference point here. I'm assuming that whoever re-routed Keef's guitar took the extra wood from the top side of the existing rout, since it's so close to the neck joint. I think a hummy in the neck is much more useful than the standard Tele neck pickup.