Thread: Tips to relic my strat

Tips to relic my strat

I got an 80's Jap squire that is naturally well reliced but in an ugly way. e.g I dropped it on concrete has chunks of paint missing but it doesn't look like paint missing due to years of hard playing. Any tips to relic it I want to sand the missing paint to look like it's been worn away. The wood is a light basswood that looks ugly how do I darken it to look more like Alder or something. I also want to relic the head stock so the squier name only shows the last two letter "er" so it looks like a fender.

By the way I would love to ralic the guitar naturally but I have two many other cool guitars this one doesn't get played very often.

Here's a tip: don't do it -- lol

If you do all that it will still look fake. I'm not impressed with the Fender relic series, either, because all the gouges & wear look intentionally inflicted and/or the wear isn't realistic. The dead giveaway, though, are the perfectly crowned new frets. NO HEAVILY PLAYED GUITAR HAS PERFECT FRETS.

This guy did a nice job on his relic. Some good tips too.
    http://www.flash.net/~guitars/Stewsdaphne.html
    I posted my relic'd Tele here on the Tele page (Tele-Gib)
    My Webshot albums have more hints you could try. Good luck.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Forum Member
    Don't rush. Just play it. The sharp edges of the damage will wear smooth and look more natural. I'm sure other dings will come along and help. I haven't seen a Custom Shop relic that looks real yet. Next time you get a chance put an actual worn guitar next to a Relic and you'll see what I mean. The Custom Shop people can't predict idiots like me accidentally banging their Teles into the edges of their coffee tables after changing strings ;)

Thanks for the replys guys. I would love to relic it naturally but like I said it's the worst electric I own so it doesn't get played to often. Maybe I should post you a pic so you can see what I mean. It is well reliced except for it's newest dent which is massive and is jaggered due to the thick finish. Thanks for the link butnut should be helpful.

TFF Stage Crew
    If you're bent on relicking this guitar the best advice I can offer you is to strip off the poly finish with Jasco paint & epoxy remover or Aircraft brand remover (be prepared for a long procedure). Then get some nitro or acrylic lacquer (in spray cans, no less!) & start from scratch. If you don't start there it won't matter what you do to your Squier; it's going to look awful because of the poly. It will NEVER LOOK LIKE A RELIC.

Thanks 71818, I never thought of that I guess the guitar isn't worth the effort any tips on realistic wear on a large ding thats already occured.

Forum Member

Relicing?

Play it , leave it out , abuse it! If you don't love it, don't waste your time. My father said that to me concerning girls!(Not the abuse part) Point is, find something/someone worthwhile, and get on with it!

Play it. Don't beat it up just so it looks old and played.

Just play it.

just my :2c