Thread: More Specific Info on Older Squier

Forum Member

More Specific Info on Older Squier

I just acquired an E series Squire Strat. While I understand the general 1984-87 dating for its manufacture (presumably in Japan), does anyone know any way to get more detailed information about its date and place of manufacture? Also, sources of components? (I understand that there should be a date somewhere on the guitar, but I don't want to take the thing apart unnecessarily).

In a related vein, I can't find a single e-mail address on the Fender web site, to whom I could direct a question like this. Anyone know where that can be found?

Thanks.

FiveG

Re: More Specific Info on Older Squier

The 'E'series guitars were made at the Fuji gen Gakki factory at Matsumoto, Japan (makers of Ibanez, Greco and other guitars) And followed closely on from the JV (Japanese vintage) series Guitars. All of the components were of Far Eastern origin, although there was an occational crossover of parts left over from the JV series.
    They are excellent guitars.
    Unfortunately the only way to find an accurate date of manufacture will be to remove the neck and check the pencilled in date at the base.

Paul :)

Forum Member

Thanks. Boy, having to remove the neck is a pain in the setup. Fender or Squire won't share the info. with us plebians?

Also, I was told that the wood was American on this beast -- any way to confirm the truth of that?

FiveG

There are a few stories going around that the wood for JV Squiers was sent out to japan from the USA, (various US parts/hardware were sent out in the very early days, but only US pickups later on......and only for the JV series) but this is incredibly unlikely as the Fujigen factory was already making strat copies before Fender ever got involved. As far as the 'E' series goes, you can be pretty sure that the wood is of Far Eastern origin. Probably a generic type of poplar, alder and/or basswood.