Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overdrive pedal suggestions

Forum Member

Re: Overdrive pedal suggestions

I had myself sold on the MJM Blues Devil,and never wound up getting it for one reason or an other..Then heard alot of good stuff about the Menatone "Red Snapper"..Try to find one...So today I ordered a FishFactory from Musictoyz.Spose to be here tomorow,I didnt'd want to spend that much on an OD but you get 2 uints in one ,Snapper+BlueColler.We'll see if it lives up to the hype,I hate buying gear untried but ,I,ve only heard positive things about the Menatone effects.

semaj2000, how did you like the fish factory?
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Klon for boost - IMHO, nothing beats one of these for its boost function, I hate the overdrive tone of it, but for a boost its hard to beat.

For Overdrive:

Crowther Hot Cake
    Barber Direct Drive (old one with hand written graphics)
    TS 808 - a bit of cliched tone though anymore

By the way, sorry to spam, but my Klon is up for sale in the Classifieds area. I wouldn't be getting rid of it, but because of my divorce I'm forced to.

I've just bought the Hotcake and while the fact it goes from almost clean at 12 o'clock to serious gain by 2 o'clock is surprising at first, it is a lovely sounding pedal. Great for a clean boost too.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

For me the Boss OD-3 is hard to beat.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

Forum Member

I've had a chance to play with the "FishFactory" pedel guite a bit.and love it.The red side is the most natural sounding OD i've had a chance to use,,(prolly never ply my strat without it) the blue side is more like a tradtional sounding screamer type pedel with a much smoother range of controll ( the pots are very responsive).You can also use both sides at the same time,which seems to make a briter version of the TS kinda pedel(i need to mess around wth that more..more knobs to turn)..I've been usin my 69DR with my Strat or Tele(with humbuckers) and it sounds really good with both.All-in-all I'm really happy with it....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by galamba
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I have been checking out some of the Fulltone pedals and they do seem to have great tone. I was pretty happy with the sound clips and I am looking into the FD2, because I am presenting live all the time so the boost feature would be great for me.

I am going to take a look at ebay but the thing is not everyone ships outside the US, but I will keep looking. Answering one of the questions, yes, I am in a gear desert, only one good shop in town but they only have the popular stuff of course. So i am buying a lot of stuff from Internet reviews and stuff like that, so I really apreciate your help.

One question about the FD2. Is there enough gain in that to play lead when you turn the boost on? I am looking for an OD beacuse of its natural sound, but I do like a little gain when I play lead.

Thanks for your help!
    Mate, one thing about O/D pedals. Just about all O/Ds out there will chop off some of the bottom, something I hate but most don't seem to give a rats. If you want your sound boosted without chopping of the Bass or kickin in heaps of mid bark then you probably should check out Mr Keeley. His BD2 is full range. I can't say for his other pedals which he says he modds to keep some or all of the bottom. He will ship anywhere on the planet. As you will find out, pedals are a complete gamble. You'll hate 99 out of every 100 you try. But which one is the 100?
    Mate,can you turn that thing down?

TS-9 gives my palamino a nice crunch, and it sounds good for leads too, gives u that almost fluid melody
    Nothing more fun than playing an electrified piece of wood..

TS-9 gives my palamino a nice crunch, and it sounds good for leads too, gives me that almost fluid melody

woops hit submit twice, damn double click habit ..

Forum Member

Hermida Audio Technology: Zendrive!!!!! :ahem

I can't believe you guys have not listed this pedal. What have you guys been doing!!! :bug

Check out these links, and let them do the talking;

http://www.hermidaaudio.com/

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec...endrive-1.html

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...threadid=99871

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec...n_Drive-1.html

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...light=zendrive

Cheer's,

DD

I wanted a Zendrive, but the longer I wait, the less I can afford one!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1 :bug

Whoa, is the wait that long?

Forum Member

I still like my Fishfactory.But by far the best sounding IMO,Love Pedal Eternity.Great range and the versitility of being able to change the op-amp.If I could only have one pedal that would be the one..

Quote Originally Posted by Deadwood Jack
    Mate, one thing about O/D pedals. Just about all O/Ds out there will chop off some of the bottom, something I hate but most don't seem to give a rats.
    That's because bass freq's sound like ass when overdriven [one of the reasons I hate boogies, but I digress]. The trick is to chop the bass pre-distortion, and EQ properly afterwards.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Yep, Kap'n got it. Especially through a Fender type amp, the bass gets really muddy! Most ODs don't clip below certain frequencies.

Forum Member

That Drive 2 looks interesting.

btw I have it from a reliable source that Troy did have a Fish Factory but went back to his FD2 (which btw has been Mosfet modded by Mr. Fuller)

Troy has literally gone thru 50 OD pedals and always goes back to his FD2. When I told him I sold mine he freaked out. The only way I was going to continue the search was if I sold it. I probably will be getting another one someday. A great option is the Maxon OD9 silver modded by Analog Man, wow! That really kicks ass. I am currently using the Boss SD1 silver modded by AM, it has the assymetrical clipping like the the FD2 which is raspier - I like it enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin
    Troy has literally gone thru 50 OD pedals and always goes back to his FD2.
    The FD2 is a benchmark pedal. Mine's a pre-Flat mids, but sometimes I think I'd like to have one that's got the switch.
    orange picks

Forum Member

He told me he loves his FD2 but I'm wondering why he keeps trying other pedals. There must be something he thinks could be better. I'll have to ask him.

Forum Member

No Bad Monkey fans here?? Everyone raves about them on some other boards, and they`re dirt cheap. They have a bottm knob to replenish whats lost. At $75 CDN . its an easy gamble I`ll take, and give you guys a mini road test.

CT.:ahem

Edit

Not that I need another OD as I have three top shelf units as it is,,,but might come in handy for a grab n` go pedal.

CT.

Troy loves the thrill of the chase!!

I had the pre flat mids version myself. I heard about the mosfet version, so I figured I'll wait to see what the hype is about. Then I'll get one with the flat-mids toggle.

The FD2 is one of dozens of tubescreamer based ODs, like the Red Snapper/Blue collar aka the Fish Factory. I wonder what Troy did with the fist factory?!?!? Hmm.. email to Troy on the way.......

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    No Bad Monkey fans here?? Everyone raves about them on some other boards, and they`re dirt cheap. They have a bottm knob to replenish whats lost. At $75 CDN . its an easy gamble I`ll take, and give you guys a mini road test.

CT.:ahem

Edit

Not that I need another OD as I have three top shelf units as it is,,,but might come in handy for a grab n` go pedal.

CT.

I LOVE the Bad Monkey!!!! I own two, and it is the perfect pedal to add to the abuse my DRRI's input is getting from either my Hamer or PRS humbuckers!
    Time wounds all heels.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    There are always the classics:

Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer: light OD, good for boosting leads into a Fender amp. I think some pro players may have done this, but noone you've heard of. LOL!

Boss DS-1 Distortion: will get you into late 70's/early 80's territory.

ProCo Rat: picks up where the Boss leaves off, keeps going into Smashing Pumpkins fuzz. Might me too much sonically, given your description of your needs.

Digitech Bad Monkey: a TubeScreamer type with more grunt & sparkle. My current fave between my McCarty & Champ.
    If you're going to go near the Boss DS-1, I'd buy one cheap on ebay and send it to Analogman for his mod. I did this and before the mod I thought that the DS-1 was completely unusable...harsh, brittle, just awful. After Analogman.... it was beautiful, especially through a plexi or tweed Deluxe set just to the point of breakup. Love it! I bought a ton of stuff from Mike Fuller in the late '90s and I really liked the the old FDII. Don't have a clue about the recent ones. I think the Beano Boost by Analogman is very cool too. I have to say all the stuff I've heard by Analogman is really nice and his Boss pedal mods are just great.

blueman61

The Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is also an excellent pedal. It's the same4 chipset/circuitry as the TS-808 with asymetrical clipping. I like the old style clipping better and had it modded to the TS-808 clipping, but it's a great sounding overdrive either way.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWaide View Post
    The Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive is also an excellent pedal. It's the same4 chipset/circuitry as the TS-808 with asymetrical clipping. I like the old style clipping better and had it modded to the TS-808 clipping, but it's a great sounding overdrive either way.

I'd have to say the SD-1...even stock...is a dynamite OD. I've been using mine a lot lately. It really does nail the sound I want (other pedals do, as well. I'm just amazed at the sonic quality of the SD-1 and the Bad Monkey, especially at their price points).

Blueman isn't wrong about the DS-1 being harsh, but I believe it performs well 'as is". As my main source of grit, I'd have hesitations. But with some tweaking of the tone knob (which really only governs that frequency range that gets fizzy when distorted. I know, I know...but in 1978, this was a hard rock tone) it makes for a good alternate sound. I've been giving this pedal more time lately, too.
    Time wounds all heels.

I've given up on all dirt boxes except my Tonefactor Mule (and Dirty Dan) pedal, and a Bad Bob Boost.
    orange picks

Lots of good ODs. One worth mentioning is the HBE PowerScreamer. Excellent Overdrive pedal.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/about_us.htm
    Last edited by Chito; 02-21-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

suposidly the Arion MTE-1 Tubulator is also real nice.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Well if cost is not so much an issue, the SFX-03 is the best for me.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

My brother-in-law swears bythe Box-of-Rock from Z-Vex. Dirt on one side and an independant boost on the other. True bypass too.

Anyone have any experience with it?
    All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players ...

whats a good overdrive or distortion pedal?

I am thinking about getting a Blue faced Bassman 50 head. It has two channels: bass and guitar. Both channels have a volume, bass and treble button.

I love the sound of this thing clean, but I need some of that british overdrive/distortion like Oasis. Curious if anyone knows of a good pedal for me to get this sound.

I have tried the fulltone british pedal and the TS9 tube screamerhe on other fender amps such as the deville and deluxe, but I have not tried these pedals through this amp.

Also, anyone know the best way to hook pedals to this amp? There is no effects loop, I dont think. I probably have to hook everything straight through??

thanks!!

Re: whats a good overdrive or distortion pedal?

I like my TS-9 in front of the amp. Your mileage may vary...
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I love my Keeley-modded Boss BD-2. A very popular pedal, stock or modded.

Having said that, I got a MI Audio Crunch Box yesterday & preliminary reports say: wow.
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

I'm pretty satisfied with the BD-2. I bought it when I had a HRDLX and was it sooo nice.

I've got a RatII, Keely moded Maxon OD9, Overlord, & a couple of Tubulators.

I like them all.

If you want more of a british overdrive/distortion, get a Proco RAT.

Don't laugh at me but does the keeley mod make a big difference? I've never heard of it but I just checked out the site.

The way Keeley described the BD-2 mod sounds like it could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by _john View Post
    Don't laugh at me but does the keeley mod make a big difference? I've never heard of it but I just checked out the site.

It's a huuuuge improvement, judging by the clips I've heard, and by word-of-mouth.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

i have several keeley modded pedals and all i can say is that it does make a difference. mr k has some good ears.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by _john View Post

I had a BD-2 and did the Keeley mods. Neither the stock pedal or modded really got it for me. I put it back stock. IMO, there's a perception among guitarists that something 'modded' is always superior over stock. It's not a big change. I've had several Boss SD-1s (strangely enough had 'em all stolen) and prefer that sound. As with anything guitarwise, you've got to try it for yourself and see what sounds you like.