Thread: setting intonation

setting intonation

this is driving me nuts - i set the intonation on the other strings no problem however the damn G string is reading flat at the 12th fret harmonic. i moved the saddle up as far as it will go--its touching the bridge pivit screws and its still reading 5 cents flat what going on here? it a vintage style trem. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dead

regards J

Forum Member

Re: setting intonation

Forgive me if this response is well below your level of expertise. I am a novice on setup but printed a setup page off mr. gearhead that looked like even I could do a setup. If it doesn't give you a remedy, it might give you an idea regarding how to approach the problem from a different direction. What kind of strings are you using? Are these the ones you always use? Joe

fezz parka

Lower your neck and middle pickups. It sounds like Stratitis to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Lower your neck and middle pickups. It sounds like Stratitis to me.
    Sounds like a definite possibility to me, too, though if it was that bad, the sound would probably be goofy, too.

As much of a nosebleed as a vibrato Stratocaster is to properly set up, I don't think there's any way a G can be legitimately 5 cents flat after having the saddle run out of neckward adjustment. Stratitis is about the only thing I can think of that might account for that, too.

If it isn't that, it's a fine mystery to which I should enjoy hearing the solution!

04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

fezz parka

Especially if the pickups have staggered polepieces...

(Hey man...I still owe you that J-Station patch...)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    (Hey man...I still owe you that J-Station patch...)
    I dropped you a line here, but I don't know if you got it. System email here is somewhat of a mystery to me.
    04DEC05: Gone -- So long!