Thread: Best Blues-Rock amp for this Strat???

Forum Member

Best Blues-Rock amp for this Strat???

Hi!

I'm about to buy a brand new Fender relic 56'RI (Mary Kay(e) model.
    I haven't tried it through my amp yet, but I'm looking forward to do it.
    I have this 60W Vibroking (newer model) and I really don't like it that much....When cranked it sounds pretty harsh to my ears, I like the clean sound and the reverb though, but NOT the tremolo channel and natural overdrive it produces.

My question is, what amp would suite the PU's that's in this 56'RI and what amp would YOU recommend I should try out, and why???
    I play blues-rock (Aerosmith, Lenny Kravitz, jonny land, SRV, The Black Crowes etc.)

I'm looking for an amp that sound good when cranked, NOT necesarily a Fender amp.....Head/cab/combo/ New/old/vintage/Watts etc.- any advice would be appreciated?!

Best Regards
    Torben

Hi,

try to search and find a used 4x10 Blues De Ville.
    The one with the tweed cover, not the Hotrod Version.
    Unfortunately Fender discontinued this one a few years ago so they might be a bit hard to find because usually if you got one you will not part with it...

cu
    bluesfreak :smokin

Forum Member
    Personally, I like my VibroKing with my `56 Time Machine Series Strats. That being said, I also like them with tweed Fenders (Bassman, Deluxe, Twin, etc.) and vintage style Marshalls and cabs. Many players like their Strats with blackface Fender amps too. I find it hard to go wrong with any of these amps, as long as they are in good working order such as: good tubes, proper biasing, and good speakers. It all makes a difference. It`s all very subjective and I`m sure that there are other amp companies (Mesa Boogie, Matchless, Bogner, etc., you name it) that have good sounding amps for Strats, but for me, Fender and Marshall work just fine. BTW, I play the same type of music that you listed. :)

Forum Member
    Originally posted by MK.II
    Personally, I like my VibroKing with my `56 Time Machine Series Strats. That being said, I also like them with tweed Fenders (Bassman, Deluxe, Twin, etc.) and vintage style Marshalls and cabs. Many players like their Strats with blackface Fender amps too. I find it hard to go wrong with any of these amps, as long as they are in good working order such as: good tubes, proper biasing, and good speakers. It all makes a difference. It`s all very subjective and I`m sure that there are other amp companies (Mesa Boogie, Matchless, Bogner, etc., you name it) that have good sounding amps for Strats, but for me, Fender and Marshall work just fine. BTW, I play the same type of music that you listed. :)
    Hi!
    Thanks for the answer!
    What's the exact differences between blackface Vs. Silverface amps, and tweed amps???
    Best Regards
    Torben

Forum Member
    The silverface Fenders, for the most part, are good sounding amps, but many players prefer the blackface Fenders over the silverface models. The silverface models, in stock condition, usually aren`t as warm sounding as the blackface amps, and they tend to be cleaner sounding. IMHO.

As far as tweed Fenders go, they are warmer sounding and have an earlier breakup than the blackface or silverface amps, and no reverb. The blackface and silverface amps are cleaner and brighter sounding than the tweeds. The tweeds have a little more of "Marshally" or "woody" type of midrange tone to them. That`s about as best as I can describe them to you. Maybe someone with a more technical point of view will chime in and explain it better than I can. Happy amp hunting and I hope you enjoy your new Relic, they`re great guitars!! :)

Last edited by MK.II; 10-07-2002 at 07:02 AM.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by MK.II
    The silverface Fenders, for the most part, are good sounding amps, but many players prefer the blackface Fenders over the silverface models. The silverface models, in stock condition, usually aren`t as warm sounding as the blackface amps, and they tend to be cleaner sounding. IMHO.

As far as tweed Fenders go, they are warmer sounding and have an earlier breakup than the blackface or silverface amps, and no reverb. The blackface and silverface amps are cleaner and brighter sounding than the tweeds. The tweeds have a little more of "Marshally" or "woody" type of midrange tone to them. That`s about as best as I can describe them to you. Maybe someone with a more technical point of view will chime in and explain it better than I can. Happy amp hunting and I hope you enjoy your new Relic, they`re great guitars!! :)

Thanks alot!

Well, why is it that the silverface are so popular, with single coils, I would rather think silverface with i.e. a Les Paul???
    Are there any years that are better than others??

Thanks again!
    Torben

Forum Member
    The Comet by Tone King has tweed and blackface voiced channels. It might cover the classic blues/rock sounds your looking for.

Good luck.
    Last edited by redgold; 10-07-2002 at 07:58 AM.

Forum Member
    Thanks again!

Anyone got any oppinons/experiences with these amps?

1) Hiwatt
    2) Wizard
    3) Mesa Boggie (blue Angel)?
    4) Matchless
    7) Marshall "plexi" Reissue

I LOVE the clean tone that comes out of the Fender and Vox AC30 amps (which I think Marshall and Mesa can't deliver) But I'm also looking for this VERY smooth, warm and nice sounding tube-overdrive when the amp is cranked. My VK just seems too harsh when cranked! And most Marshall heads are WAY too loud to crank when playing at home and smaller clubs, bars etc....Even my 60W VK is VERY loud.....I have this Marshall powerbraker, but I also think it colours the sound too much, so I'm not using it, and I'm mostly into this analog thing, just an old TS808 and old Vox wah and that's it.
    Any other amps worth checking out? I'm going to pick up the Fender 56' RI Strat on friday, and I'm VERY exited to see if it's something for me ;-)

Forum Member
    You should try out the Dr. Z amps. The Maz 18 Jr. is marketed as the best strat amp on the planet...(Best is a subjective term, but mine really works well with my strat and tele.

If you like Fenderish clean tones with Marshall-ish overdrive you should check one out. Used they are about $1200-$1350.

Real tight amps. :nelson

Originally posted by Joe Perry
    Thanks again!

Anyone got any oppinons/experiences with these amps?

1) Hiwatt
    2) Wizard
    3) Mesa Boggie (blue Angel)?
    4) Matchless
    7) Marshall "plexi" Reissue
    Looks like you do not have to turn a coin around twice before spending it. In this case I would suggest either a Dr.Z Route66 or the new BadCat Black Cat (if you like EL84´s) or a Hot Cat.
    Don´t know hwat the pricing for Mesa is in the US but here in Europe it is ridicoulos. I can get a Black Cat and a Route 66 for the price of a Blue Angel /Nomad /Mark IV.
    Speaking of Europe don´t forget to check Engl, maybe the Screamer suits your needs...

cu

Forum Member
    Try out a Gibson Goldtone. Great, toneful amps and pretty reasonable on the used market.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by CrankedTone
    Try out a Gibson Goldtone. Great, toneful amps and pretty reasonable on the used market.
    hi!

Aren't the Gibson amps just Trace Elliot's with the Gibson logo, same layout and specs???
    The knobs are placed very bad too aren't they, on the back of the amp??
    How are these amps soundwise?

Forum Member

DR.Z amps?

Hi!

I just visited the DR.Z amp homepage and had the chance to listen to some of the soundclips there.
    And I must admit that I liked the sound that came from two amps.
    The "Route 66"
    and the "Prescription."

But I don't know what kind of Fx that are used on the soundfiles that are there.
    I like the overdriven sound on the "Prescription" soundclip ALOT, but do YOU think that it's the natural Cranked tubesound that you can hear on this clip or is it some kind of overdrive-effects pedal.??...Still 45W is alot when cranked in smaller clubs and bars!

http://www.drzamps.com/prescription.html

What are the prices on these amps (and cabs) I live in Denmark (europe) and I've never seen these amps anywere in stores here, so I'll probably have to order it and pay for the shipping too?!

Best Regards
    Torben

Forum Member

ENGL?

Originally posted by bluesfreak68

Looks like you do not have to turn a coin around twice before spending it. In this case I would suggest either a Dr.Z Route66 or the new BadCat Black Cat (if you like EL84´s) or a Hot Cat.
    Don´t know hwat the pricing for Mesa is in the US but here in Europe it is ridicoulos. I can get a Black Cat and a Route 66 for the price of a Blue Angel /Nomad /Mark IV.
    Speaking of Europe don´t forget to check Engl, maybe the Screamer suits your needs...

cu
    Hi!

Sory I keep posting things, I just have a question about the ENGL-products.
    I once tried this 4-channel-preamp called "TubeToner" Anyone knows where to buy one of these???
    I remeber I liked it, but I guess I didn't have the money at the time!

Best Regards
    Torben

Re: DR.Z amps?

Hi!

I just visited the DR.Z amp homepage and had the chance to listen to some of the soundclips there.
    And I must admit that I liked the sound that came from two amps.
    The "Route 66"
    and the "Prescription."

But I don't know what kind of Fx that are used on the soundfiles that are there.
    I like the overdriven sound on the "Prescription" soundclip ALOT, but do YOU think that it's the natural Cranked tubesound that you can hear on this clip or is it some kind of overdrive-effects pedal.??...Still 45W is alot when cranked in smaller clubs and bars!

http://www.drzamps.com/prescription.html

What are the prices on these amps (and cabs) I live in Denmark (europe) and I've never seen these amps anywere in stores here, so I'll probably have to order it and pay for the shipping too?!

Best Regards
    Torben
    Hi Torben,

I had the chance and played a Route66 and believe me, no FX, it´s all done with the Volume Poti and Attack. This is one of the most marvelous amps I played. The next dealer closed to you would be ProGuitar in Germany ( www.proguitar.de ) . You can also download some soundfiles from their Website. They have Dr.Z, Matchless, Orange, Boogie, etc....
    For the Engl TubeToner check out either www.engl-amps.com or www.mega-music.dk

cu

Forum Member

Re: Re: DR.Z amps?

Originally posted by bluesfreak68

Hi Torben,

I had the chance and played a Route66 and believe me, no FX, it´s all done with the Volume Poti and Attack. This is one of the most marvelous amps I played. The next dealer closed to you would be ProGuitar in Germany ( www.proguitar.de ) . You can also download some soundfiles from their Website. They have Dr.Z, Matchless, Orange, Boogie, etc....
    For the Engl TubeToner check out either www.engl-amps.com or www.mega-music.dk

cu

Thanks ALOT bluesfreak!

What kind of gear do YOU have and how/what do you do to obtain the best sound out of you gear??
    My sound never looks the same when playing different places/room, outdoors, clubs etc. and I'm REALLY tired of it. It always seems that my sound is way to harsh and I NEVER get the chance to crank my amp wide open, what can I do???
    I listened to the different soundclips on the German homepage, and I know I can't judge my these recordings, but it really seems (to me) that the Heads (DR.Z/Matchless/rivera/) DID sound better (more headroom?) than the combos?!??
    I didn't like the sound of the Marshalls though!

Best Regards
    Torben

P.S. Damn they are expensive too! Anybody knows where to buy one of these amps used/trade for a Vibroking;-)?

i have an engl screamer combo, its GREAT for blues from squeaky clean to od, to a bit more crunch, to distortion to HEAVY distortion ala metalmania gain.

i have some clip wich doesnt really show the tone of the amp, but anyway here it is http://www.angelfire.com/retro/musicmaster/tiago.html ---> laidbackblues
    Take Care
    T

Re: DR.Z amps?

Thanks ALOT bluesfreak!

What kind of gear do YOU have and how/what do you do to obtain the best sound out of you gear??

Hi,

current Setup:

SRV Strat with VanZandt or TX Special Strat with Staufer Blues PU into :
    Crybaby -> Fulltone Soulbender -> Boss SD-1 (TS-808 mod) -> H&K Tubefactor -> Amp
    The Amps I use are either a JCM800 100W 2x12 Combo or a H&K Edition Tube. Both have Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers installed instead of the original ones.
    I get most of the tone I want out of that, the only thing I miss is a Univibe, either a original one or the Fulltone Deja 2. Maybe next year...
    As for the Amps I´m still on the search, I sold the JCM800 to a friend (can still use it if I want ) and I´m looking for a used BF Super Reverb or Blues DeVille. Maybe something different but it has to have a 4x10" Combo. I do not like to push 4x12" and Heads around also I like the sound of a Combo better.
    If possible I want to try out the new Bad Cat Hot Cat. Must be a hell of an Amp...

cu

I just picked up a Bruno 22

IMO - This is the best amp for a Strat playing blues/classic rock. For a truer vintage sound get an old Super Reverb

www.brunoamps.com

I got the 22 and it is a 22w monster. Very Fat thick Warm tone. A friend has a 35 with 2 10's and it reminds me of a Fat fender twin

setup:

JV w/torres -->Analogman boss sd-1-----> amp

get great tones ala
    Hedrix
    SRV
    Bad Co
    Skynard
    etc.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    JCM800 50 or 100 watts or Fender Twin with a FD2.

Why? It's subjective but for blues, rock, and country, these setups always work for me with any guitar.

Stroker! :)

Forum Member

Thank you all

Thank you all, for listing some of your gear!

Right now my setup is:

01 Gibson LP Classic goldtop
    95 Gibson Firebird 1 (CS)
    72 Telecaster With 68' original maple neck.

Fender Vibroking (new model)

Old TS808 and old Vox wah.

I'm going to sell some of this stuff, because I never get to use it very much...My Tele and Firebird just stands there in the corner collecting dust, so I think I'm going to get rid of these.
    The VK is (as mentioned before) WAY to harsh sounding to me...I would love to crank the hell out of it, but it's just WAY too many watts to do it when playing smaller gigs, so I think I'm going to sell that one too.
    I can see that many on this board prefers twins and other loud amps that doesn't break up too early, I think I'm going to search for the opposite. A small amp that I can crank (get the real tubeoverdrive) when playing smaller gigs, but still can hold up to bigger stages too...Any suggestions?
    I'm mostly a Vintage/analog guy, but have anybody any oppinions abot the modelling amps (Vox valvetronic/Fender Cyber etc.) I've never tried one, and I think I'm NOT going to like this whole electronic things, but still I would like to hear any oppinions?
    Any other brands I should check out??? Mostly I'm searching for an amp that sounds great with this Fender 56'RI CS guitar/PU???

Best Regards
    Torben

Forum Member

It has arrived;-)

Hi guys!

Yesterday the Fender 56'RI (mary Kay(e) arrived and it's just a KILLER. Sound REALLY good and the look of it is just BEAUTIFULL!
    There's just two things that i can't figure out, and I hope you can help me with this?

1) The logo (front) on the headstock inc. the contour body looks like it's a sticker...It isn't though but it "shines" more than the rest of the head, when looking closely...Is this normal???

2) The custom shop mark on the back of the headstock is stamped/pressed into the wood...Is this also normal for these guitars? On Gibson LP historics the CS mark is put on under the laquier but this mark is stamped into the wood???

Best Regards
    Torben

This might sound a little partial, but if you want smooth, warm breakup you HAVE TO get a Marshall JTM 45 head and load it with KT 66 power tubes and also NOS Mullards or Electro Harmonix preamp tubes. I use this head with a Marshall 4*10 cabinet and it roars and rips and also this amp can be suprisingly clean. Personally, I use it with a Les Paul, but its also been used with strats and teles with amazing results. I also have a Bassman reissue loaded with RCA blackplates that sounds wonderful with strats or Les Pauls. Hope this helps.

Any silverface Fender amp, any 60's to 80's Marshall's old Gibson amp's from the 60's Dr Z's and the Mojave amps.
    Im the silent one

The decal on top of the finish is the way Fender did it in the good old days. Most of the U.S. made RIs and the Custom Shop guitars are done that way.

Do you ever see any Victoria amps over there?? A Vicky 35W 3x10 Bandmaster(or even a Bassman) goes good with a Strat. No reverb or FX, but tweeds generally love pedals.

Forum Member
    What year is your relic? The early relics had the Custom Shop logo stamped into the wood, on the back of the headstocks. The earlier relics were just called "`50`s Relic", not "`56 relic". I think it was around `99 or so, when the `56 Time Machine Series started, when they stopped stamping CS logo and switched to the decal on the back of the headstock. Some of the first TMS `56 Relics may still have had the logo stamped into the wood. Someone correct me if I`m wrong, please! BTW, glad to hear you like your new guitar! :)
    Last edited by MK.II; 10-18-2002 at 01:15 PM.

I also suggest the DrZ route 66 ..Blues rock ,Man that's the amp. this amp loves strats and doesn't need reverb.. I've had mine since 99 and it still blows me away.... 32 watts of tube tone with no preservatives or fillers!!!.. By the way, that picture of Pagey with the Tele is THE coolest..... Chuck

Forum Member ferdi from Germany's Avatar
    Hi Joe Perry,
    I think the Vibro King is a very good amp. If you find it too harsh sounding I'd go for replacement speakers, as the blue alnicos made by eminence (for the earlier models) are not bad, but not exactly ultimatively good, and the new blue alnicos by Jensen are *very* trebly in some amps. Both of them are designed to last, not to deliver ultimate tone.

I think the VK is such a nice amp (and a beauty too) that I'd go and replace the speakers with Weber 10F125s or 10F150s - maybe you should take one a 10A125 too retain the Alnico feel.

Changing speakers has an influence underestimated by many. Next are tubes... I wasn't happy until I replaced V1 with an EH 12AY7 and V2 with a G.E. 5751 (I have a cascading gain channel which uses V1+2, so this may not be representative).

just my two cents

ferdi

Forum Member
    what exactly is the tremelo channel??

Well I have had about every kind of amp from old fenders to boogies, Marshalls and so forth in the last 30 years and the Fender Prosonic amp I have now is the most favorite I ever had. It works in way most amps don't but when you figure it out it is the best. Goes from 30, 45, to 60 watts. Depending on which rectifier mode you choose. A type, AB type, or SS type rectifier. Also the tone controls work in a unique way. You can use them as the master volume controls. You can turn the amp volume up to 10 and then turn the mid & bass up to about 1 and you can get a great full blown craqnked tube sound at bedroom volume. Bring up the treble instead and you would swear you are pluged into one of those old great sounding fuzz boxes. And the louder this amp gets the better it sounds. Great lead channel and even better clean channel. Really good working effects loop also.

Aerosmith For the Record..

Early Aerosmith guitar amps were Sunn Model T's 150 watt amps. They used 6550 coke bottle output tubes and sound the best when cranked. I have popped a cone or two with this amp. They are very unlike many of the EL34, 5881, Etc.. PTP amps of this day and age. Headroom galore and thick master V OD that is nothing short of exceptional. Wear those ear plugs or you will be deef in short order. My fave amp and I am biased towards big bottle tone... is a Dumble Mother Bass head Clone. It has a pair of KT88's and head room for days. It has a built in rumbleator that gives a bubbling shimmering overtone that is not abrupt or harsh. A real piece of pro gear. Now back to reality as these amps are like hens teeth.. I think the question is a bit broad to cover all those types of music. The one amp that I belive that could do it would be the Bad Cat Hot Cat. It is one of the most versital PTP amps out there. The tone is so warm and sweet on the clean channel. On the OD channel you can get a good SRV without the use of a Diaz Texas Square face fuzz but I would still use one for SRV anyway. Kravits used so many amps and whatnot. He used vintage gear and very modern gear too. This is a tough nut to crack but again with the righ FX and a Hot Kitty you can't go Wrong. Let's see... Black Crowes They were using Harry Joyce's (of Hiwatt) amps weren't they ? http://harry-joyce.com/ Good luck..

You may want to try an early 80's Mesa Boogie Mark I. Not the reissue, but the real thing. They really sound good with strat's, at low and high volume.

Forum Member
    Well all of the guitars you have are pretty bright and could be labled as harsh sounding. Those creamic pups in your lp have a ton of output and are somewhat harsh. Tele's can get overly bright fast. Other than the VK being extremely loud it is a good amp for what you are wanting. Pup changes in the guitars and speaker changes could smooth some things out, but to tell you the truth you should be able to fix that messing with the tone knobs on the amp or the guitar. Tone and volume knobs on a guitar don't have to always be on 10. Try someting completely different with the amp. Volume all the all the way up, tone knobs all the way down....crank your mids, treble around 4, and hardly any bass...treble and mids all the way up, bass on O. Something different! The thing has a fat swithch right...mess with that. Presence changes the attack bloom...get that how you like it, that affects harshness! Whether it is a knob or a brite switch. Heck you should be able to roll off some harshness with your 808. Everyone is suggesting some great amps...but you have a pretty good one. I'd keep your gear and money and practice some more...but I know how it is GAS knows no mercy and it is easy to be overtaken. I get caught up in the grass is greener on the otherside of the fence too! This came to me the other day when I still had my sound with a crap peavy bass amp I was playing into. I had the volume of the guitar on 4, tone of the neck pickup on 2 no effects....I still sounded like me! Frankly it didn't sound that bad...didn't feel like my tweed or bf fenders but it wasn't that bad either.

For a 4X10 amp the super reverb is the baby but it is bright, cleaner, and almost as loud as your VK...I'll bet it would be harsh for ya!

If you want my suggestion....your new strat into a 58' low power tweed twin or bassman...no effects! What the hell.... I'll bet that would sound good! The Dumble of rdavis's was a good sugesstion. I'm sure those will cover up some harshness!

Forum Member
    Obviously it's a matter of what sound you like the most, but personally I think it's very hard to beat the sound of a Strat and a JMI AC30. I've got a couple '63 AC30s and have had a number of CS 50s & early 60s Strats and the match up is about as perfect as you can get for the kind of music you describe. The sweet chime 'n grind of the AC30 and the woody tones of the Strat combine for a broad range of beautiful harmonics, both clean and driven.