Thread: Looking for some advice....

Looking for some advice....

Ok bass gurus, I have a dilemna. In fact it's really a good type dilemna to have. I recently got my annual bonus, and have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket. I negotiated with the wife to allow me to spend $500 of my bonus on whatever I want - she gets $500, and the rest goes to savings. The problem is that I really can't figure out what to get. I really don't need anything. I'm going to focus on bass stuff, since I don't play the skinny strings that often anymore.

Here's the bass related stuff that I have:

USA Spector NS-2J
    Lakland 44-02 Deluxe
    Ampeg Portabass 2112 Combo
    Bass PODxt

I already have a Peterson tuner, and plenty of cables and such. I'm also pretty well set when it comes to recording software, and the Bass PODxt for that sort of thing.

Help me decide what I need. I have been thinking about a P-bass, a Reverend Rumblefish, and maybe getting started on a "big rig" amp. I know that I'm not thinking of everything, so help me out. What would you buy if you had my gear, and the $$.

Oh, and I could probably get away with spending a little more if need be.....

Re: Looking for some advice....

Go with your gut telling you to get started on that big rig amp.

Yeah, that.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Quote Originally Posted by doc540
    Go with your gut telling you to get started on that big rig amp.

Yeah, that.
    yea go with doc on this one and get urself a rbi and a power amp.

How power you want on that amp?
    They're REAL anyway.....

I have no idea - that's why I asked for help.

I've been eyeballing the GK 1001RBII, and looking at a couple of the Ampegs, as well as looking into the pre/power amp set up. I'm weighing the options, but wanted to hear everyone's opinions.

When it comes to this stuff, $500 isn't much to spend, but I can get headed in the right direction.

I have about $500 in my RBI and lightweight QSC power amp.

And I will slay you with the power of my rock at 520 watts per side~

Since I already have a Bass PODxt, I may use it for the preamp, and forego the RBI, and just pick up a power amp and a cab. Of course I have to decide which route to go on both of those options.

For the power amp I have been considering 2 options. The QSC PLX series seems to be really popular, so that's what I'm leaning toward. I'm also considering the Carvin amps. They seem to be a very good deal for the money - I just don't know much about them. I'm also open to other options that I may not have considered.

For cabinets, I'm really not sure. Part of me wants a 2x10 and 1x15 set-up, and part of me wants to build a system around a 2x12 Aguilar cabinet. I'm just not sure which route to take, and since I can't test every possible combination, I am relying heavily on your advice. Of course, I'd love to have a 8x10, but I'm not sure that I need quite that much.

Regardless of how I do this, I'm going to have to do it in steps. My thoughts are to do the power amp first, then the cabinet(s). I want the nicest, and most modular system that I can get, so I'm willing to take my time with it. I don't plan on capping my expenditures at $500, that's just what I have to spend right now. I'm going to do this right - regardless of how much this costs.

Thanks for the advice, and please keep it coming.

I have a QSC PLX amp in my PA. It is the smallest PLX they have, and that coupled to a $200 Beringer board smokes any powered mixer or PA head I have ever used. The QSC is a KILLER amp. Super clean, punchy, transparent and head room for days. It doesn't seem to clip hard when pushed beyond its limits either. I highly reccomend QSC PLX amps.

I'm using a QSC PLX1602. It was priced right considering the power, quality, and LIGHT WEIGHT. I snagged it on eBay for about $250-$300.

I'm using two Avatar cabs, a 2x12 and a single 15, both with horns which I roll off. Both cabs came to somewhere around $500, shipping included.

Argh! Spose, you're supposed to help me narrow down the options, not give me twice as many. :) Thanks for the list. I'd say that I'm leaning toward a hi-fi set-up. That's where I intend on focusing.

So, what is your opinion on power? What's a good amount? Do I need 500 watts, or will 300 watts be enough? I know that some of this depends on cabinet efficiency, intended use, and even what frequency response that you're looking to get (to some extent). I'm thinking that the PLX 1602 is the ticket, but should I go bigger/smaller if I can? Also, if I intend to bi-amp, should I go with 2 power amps - 1 smaller one for the highs, and 1 for the lows? What would be required as far as crossovers and such?

I think that once i get my pre/power amp nailed down, I can do some cabinet testing to see what I like. For now, my Bass PODxt is my preamp, I will probably get something different in the future, but it will be fine for now.

For cabinets, I'm going to want a full range system. To me, it seems that I would need multiple cabinets to achieve that. Since I play 4-string, and have no intention of going to 5, I think that I can get away with a 15 for my lows. So, the configuration that I have in mind is a 1x15, and 2x10 or 2x12 loaded with a tweeter to fill out the rest of the spectrum. Much like Doc's rig actually.

Am I missing anything here?

headroom is a beautiful thing

500 watts per side is probably more than I'll ever need but as the saying goes: better have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

In all reality 600w is all someone would 'realistically' need. With the cab configuration you're talking about 300w per cab would rock, give you volume and headroom to spare, as well as allow you to drive the cabs hard.

Of course there's nothing wrong with having more. :bwa
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Wattage alone is a pretty meaningless figure to look at concerning headroom IMO. It has more to do with good amplifier/power supply design and cabinet interaction with the amp than anything else. For example the PA that I have the smallest PLX in used to have a Peavey CS800 instead. The Peavey had more watts, but had way less headroom than the QSC, not to mention the Peavey couldn't compete in sound quality.

So, I'm pretty sure that I'll center the system around a QSC PLX power amp.

I've checked out BassTasters, and found that I like the following the best. Knowing this, maybe you guys can point me towards suitable cabinets.

Aguilar DB659
    Alembic F1-X
    EBS Classic 1
    Radial JDI

I'm leaning toward the Aguilar and the EBS more than the others, but, I came to this conclusion solely based on the clips at Basstasters. I believe that I should try these things in person if possible.

So my rig would consist of a DB659/Classic 1 => Qsc PLX 1602 => ??.

You guys are costing me a fortune! :)

Um, just a little wifely question here, guys, to bring you back to earth.

Besides blowing the top off Mt. St. Helens again, exactly what do we WANT to accomplish with this dream rig?
    They're REAL anyway.....

Forum Member

I recently picked up a QSC PLX 1602 and so far I think it's a killer power amp. IMO, this is pretty good place to start building your big rig.

In my experience, I think that the preamp choice directly will effect your cab choice, or vice versa.

Doc540 - that's a really cool set up! You are running the amp parallel into two 4 ohm cabs to get 500 watts per side? Also, is that a 2x10 or a 2x12 on top?

I think that power is all relative to your application too. In my 2 guitard band, one is using a Mesa Solo Rectifier into a Ashdown 4x12 and the other is using a 5150 into a Marshall 4x12. We also have a very hard hitting drummer playing an oversized Orange County Percussion kit. When playing with these guys, I bridge the QSC 1602 at 4 ohms for 1600 watts into one 4x10 rated at 700 watts. I never really go above noon on the poweramp in this configuration but there's room to spare, the cab's not struggling a bit and I have no problem being heard.

Update -

I guess that I'm a

I just pulled the trigger on a GK 1001RBII. This one actually - LINK

Although, the pre/power amp rig is way more versatile, it's also way more expensive, so since I'm not a gigging bassist, I decided to go with a simple and less expensive rig. I've had great luck with GK products in the past, and really like the tone of their bass rigs, so I jumped on it. The price was right - over $100 less than it would be through MF or any of the other giants - and this one is brand new.

So, for me, it boiled down to just doing a reality check, deciding what I really need, what I want, and what I can afford. In fact, this amp is probably way more than I'll ever need - the only reason i got it instead of the 700RBII is because I got such a great deal on it.

For now, I have a friend that is loaning me an Ampeg Isovent cabinet. In the meantime, I'm looking at my options. I'd love to have the Aguilar 4x12 or 2x12, but again, reality must set in. So, most likely going to get an Avatar 2x12 or maybe a 1x15 and a 2x10.

I'll post a review whenever it is possible.

You're welcome!!

After much begging and pleading, I managed to get permission from my Spousal Unit to purchase my cabinet.

After much consideration I decided to take advantage of a great quote that I got from Rik's Music on a GK Neo 2x12. Specs out much like the Aguilar that I like, but is much cheaper. The GK goes a little lower than the Aguilar, and it's a bit lighter.

Specs -

Gallien-Krueger Neo212 Specifications

Impedance: 8 ohms

Power Rating: 600 Watts

Woofer: 2xGK-Paragon 12B300-16, Cast Frame, 12", 300W, 16 ohm Neodymium

Tweeter: GK-Paragon 5H50-8

Frequency Response: 36Hz to 19 kHz + 5dB

Sensitivity: 105dB

Crossover: HMS Bi-Amp/Full Range Switch, Horn Power Limiter, L-Pad High Frequency Attenuator

Construction: 11-Ply Poplar, Black Tolex, 16 Gauge Steel Grill, Removable Nickel Plated Castors, Custom Tooled Interlocking Corner System and Front Ported

Weight: 64lbs

LINK

I got my cabinet today. :)

I have way more volume than I'll ever need. And, it sounds really good! It sounded OK running it in full range mode - like I would have done with any other manufacturers cabinet. But, when I switched to the bi-amp mode using the included GK speakon cable, this thing came to life! Great full range tone at blistering volume!

Very light, portable, loud, and lots of tone! I'm really happy with this combination - my wife is a bit less impressed than I am - when she came home, I was playing with it about halfway up, and rattling the entire house. :)

Here's a pic of my rig(s).

Here's a pic of the rig by itself -

For some reason the pictures are getting blurred - either by Photobucket, or the forum...sorry.

Forum Member

Great looking gear! I'd love to hear that cab. If you get tired of that Spector...

Forum Member

Jeez Joe, I bet the band loves you at load in. You're worse than a friggin drummer! :lol

Haha! OMG! You have lots o' stuff.

The GK rig is right around 85lbs - combined.

The head is 700 watts at 4 ohms, 460 watts at 8 ohms, and the horn amp is rated at 50 watts at 8 ohms.

The cab is rated for 600 watts at 8 ohms, and the horn is rated at 50 watts at 8 ohms.

You can run 2 cabs off the head with the proprietary speakon cables, and move enough air for an arena. 1 cab is enough for anywhere I would consider playing. Also, the head has a direct out connection on the front for running to the board - which makes it easy if you happen to be playing somewhere that you would want/need that. It's definitely worth looking into.

If you decide to go this route, and I'll put you in contact with the store that I got my cab from - they sold it to me for $70 less shipped than all online outlets want for it without shipping. I know that they are very good on prices with the head too. Transaction was flawless.

Thanks for the kind words on the rig. Jeff, you have dibs on the Spector if I should ever go crazy and sell it.

Spose, you don't like my cable?

Forum Member

< jedi mind trick on> Tom, you never really connected with that Spector anyway. < jedi mind trick off> :lol

Is that a Pete Brunelli cable? I've got one that looks a lot like that.

The cable is a George L's.

I'm immune to mind tricks - my wife has been trying them on me for years.....

:)