Thread: Unbelieveably horrible!

Unbelieveably horrible!

http://www.squierguitars.com/reposit...07_product.jpg

I took one of these off the wall last week in a local store 'cause I really thought it looked neat.....still do. But, I tried to play the dang thing for 20 minutes and it was horrible...horrible.
    Cheap IS cheap.
    It would not stay in tune for five minutes...honestly...and on close examination was very "unfinished" looking: the metal pieces had been poorly cast, the nut looked like that cheap plastic that disintegrates in sunlight (like from the 50's), the finish and body were both very thin.
    It was NOT a bargain even at the $179.00 price tag. It wasn't even worth, in my estimation, the time it would take to make it into a real guitar.

Shape up there, Fender!

Re: Unbelieveably horrible!

I only paid $149.00 for mine, and I love it. I mean, sure, I had to take the first one I got back because the pickup selector had a bad pole, but the one for which I exchanged it plays fine, stays in tune quite well (and I've been wailing on it for over a week without re-tuning it) and actually sounds better (not as mushy) as the one I bought originally.

Just like all products, there are some duds out there.

For $149.00, I'm quite happy.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-watt357
    I only paid $149.00 for mine, and I love it. I mean, sure, I had to take the first one I got back because the pickup selector had a bad pole, but the one for which I exchanged it plays fine, stays in tune quite well (and I've been wailing on it for over a week without re-tuning it) and actually sounds better (not as mushy) as the one I bought originally.

Just like all products, there are some duds out there.

For $149.00, I'm quite happy.
    I did mean to write $149.00.

I'm very glad you're happy with yours.

Forum Member

I've played a few different 51s and thought they rocked. I've been Jonesin' for one of these for quite awhile. Especially the Blondes. I've got an Epi Special II I'm either going to trade in for as much as I can get and make up the difference cash wise or I'll sell the Epi and try ordering one online, Zzounds has 'em for $149.95 with Blondes in stock. If I order it thru my local guitar store they told me 45 to 60 days and they want to charge shipping and tax.

According to 'Guitarist' magazine,these are the ones to go for..

Selling for £199 over here,and a quote from guitarist reads "Be prepared for a treat when you pick either of these Teles up,as their necks are simply out of this world"

Looks like I'll have to pay a visit to my local shop again.;)
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny64
    According to 'Guitarist' magazine,these are the ones to go for..

Selling for £199 over here,and a quote from guitarist reads "Be prepared for a treat when you pick either of these Teles up,as their necks are simply out of this world"
    that tele on the left sure looks schweet!

I tried five Squier 51s -- one had a finish a junior high kid could have done better creating (and it sounded like garbage, too), one just sounded bad, one was average, and two were as sweet as any Fender I've played.

It seems the quality control on these is wildly inconsistant, with dropping out of tune, bad fretwork, and raggedy (sometimes with sharp edges) finish on the skunk stripe being the most common problems.

But when you find one that plays... wow... Link Wray tonalities...

I decided to put a SD lipstick pup in the neck position on mine -- amazingly warm growl from the stock humbucker (even in single coil mode) and resonant chime from the neck pup.

I love mine, and so does the band.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by itbepopples
    exactly what I was thinking too.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Dan, I have one of those Custom IIs. It's a pretty good guitar. Those P-90s are great.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

The consistency on the Squiers is not going to be like a MIA instrument......you do have to wade through the mire to find not only a good one,but one that speaks to you.The store where I teach had a few of the ones pictured above in black,one with P-90s and one with buckers.I expected to feel the typical useless (to me) skinny Squier neck when I picked them up,but was surprised by the roundness and radius,especially the P-90 model.
    Wonderful tones available in the 51 model.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Quote Originally Posted by itbepopples

Yes it does. Really sweet!
    This is the bitterest pain to human beings: to know much and control nothing.

You want to talk horrible?
    I was GC yesterday. They have the ace, number one, worst freakin' guitar there. Claims they got stuck with them from corporate.
    It's the..........

Teutul special!

That's right folks! The Orange County Chopper folks have put their names and corporate reputation on guitars that are absolutely the worst.

People won't even buy them at $99.

I had a fleeting thought of picking one up just for the novelty of it but....

Arrrrgggggghhhhhh, it was even too awful for that.
    Three versions of crap I tell ya!

Paul, I listend to Rickenjangle playing that axe again last night. It's great. Looks good, plays good, sounds great.

Must be there are a few dogs out there and you found one, but for the price its still the coolest axe I've seen and heard in years.

And we usually agree on things being geezers and all.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Just gotta put in a plug for the Squier 51 and the Squier Tele with the P90's. I got to play Mikey's pair again last night at practice, and I like them both. In fact, I tried to trade my MIM Nashville Tele for the pair of them...but Mikey's not biting.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I bite in a lot of ways, but I need good bait to bite on something like that.
    I always say, everything you see on the wall is for sale and I mean it, but gosh, I like everything on the wall pretty good right now. It'd take some pretty good bait to make me bite right now, Make me an offer I can't refuse.....HAHAHAHA

A guy in the band I sub with plays a double fat Squier Strat that actually sounds very good. Looks like dogmeat, but it sounds very good.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    That's right folks! The Orange County Chopper folks have put their names and corporate reputation on guitars that are absolutely the worst.
    And if they suck, the old man would just pitch a fit and blame whoever's nearby.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Oh yeah, they're made by OLP. Whoever the heck that is. I've seen other OLP guitars but never paid em too much mind. These OCC things probably come out of the Phillipines someplace. They didn't even bother to put "Maked at Supromidum" on it anywhere. Just awful!

FB......bummer!

i have a SB one, and i love it.......I've had guys offer to buy it from me AFTER playing it. ....... No shit!
    Imanidiot.

I just made a deal for one of the two P90 ones. I'll report when I get it. :)

I just ordered 2 Squier 51's...one for me and one for my older son, who's been struggling with the crappy Epi Les Paul Jr. that I bought him last year. These guitars are the Sland. I ordered one blonde and one sunburst. I think I'm gonna let him pick whichever one he wants at Christmastime.

JB

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle
    I just ordered 2 Squier 51's...one for me and one for my older son, who's been struggling with the crappy Epi Les Paul Jr. that I bought him last year. These guitars are the Sland. I ordered one blonde and one sunburst. I think I'm gonna let him pick whichever one he wants at Christmastime.

JB

i sure hope u bought them from MF...they're $119 there...w/ a free gig bag.....till 9/30......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...d1&src=3TP5HVC
    Imanidiot.

my first guitar i bought in 1997 was a fender squier, was a (stained EL CIGARETTO) cream color with a broken black pickquard (knob hook was broken). Got the guitar with a dinky lil tweed epiphone amp, all for 130 dollars at a run down ole pawn shop in Wichita. went to a local music store got a nice white pearloid pickguard for 15 bux, dremeled the knob hook out so my particular nobs would fit, and played the hell out of the EMG 81 that was in the bridge position, my God i miss that guitar, sold it by itself for 150 bux to my uncle, and his dumb ass gave (GAVE!!!) it away. I havent seen it since.........
    Nothing more fun than playing an electrified piece of wood..

Quote Originally Posted by refin
    The consistency on the Squiers is not going to be like a MIA instrument......you do have to wade through the mire to find not only a good one,but one that speaks to you.
    Unfortunately, this is just as true for the MIA models -- even more so when you consider the price difference. You can go through every MIA in a shop and not find a good one. And for the prices they charge for the MIA models, I expect the guitar to speak to me!

This general lack of QA makes it impossible to buy a guitar unseen and unplayed by mail order, in my experience. I know some people have got great guitars this way, but it just looks like a lottery.

On the other hand, there's the thrill of the chase, I suppose. And I guess it is possible to snag a bargain if you find a "golden" squier or something like that... so maybe the glass is half full.

-Mark

I guess I got lucky. I'm 2 for 2 on getting good '51's. Plus, I picked up a Squier Tele Custom (with the 2 humbuckers) the same night I got my 2nd '51, and it plays quite well. The only nit-picky thing I can think of is that the nut on my sunburst '51 is just slightly off-center, but it's still quite playable. Nothing I can't get my friend to adjust when I take it in for a set-up.

Obviously, the weaknesses are the electronics. The '51's are bright due to the lack of tone controls, and the humbuckers on the Tele Custom are pretty weak, but they still play well and sound decent for the money. I guess that's the main thing to keep in mind.
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

I do like the looks of this one though. Got that original P-bass thing going on in spades.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

I also have a Squier 51 and a Squier Custom II with P-90's. If you do your homework and try a few to find THE ONE, you will surely be happy. My Tele Custom II is so good I left it bone stock. The S'51 is another story... neck and pups are changed out. Check out the links below for a pic and some MP3 clips of the Squier 51. Sorry no clips currently with the Tele Custom II available.

Squier 51 and GFS pickups clip and pic #1

Squier 51 and GFS Liverpool bridge clip #2

don't mind fenderboy.....he just miserable b/c he needs to get laid!

:lol
    Imanidiot.

I received the Squier Custom II with P-90's and it's really cool! I'm thinking of converting it to a five string for Open G fun. :)

i ordered a 2nd `51 in blonde......

...now how do you play a G chord?
    Imanidiot.