Thread: smoked guitar?

smoked guitar?

seems like a simple question / answser - but really I am not sure - what is the best way to clean the smoke smell out of a guitar (if that is possible) for a guitar formerly owned by a smoker? does it fade away with regular cleaning and keeping on a stand or what?

Re: smoked guitar?

Try to think of it as character and ambience.
    If you simply must disturb the fine nature of the instrument, try dropping sardines in the sound hole and leave it in the sun for 2 to 3 days.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

now ollie that is a good idea...but what about a solid guitar, perhaps coat it in tuna oil and all the cool cats would love it then right :ahem

now seriously (I am not asking you to be serious Moonpie) what's the skinny.

Forum Member

Ive got the same problem with 2 acoustics i bought....its permeated the case and the wood.....I also bought a gigbag and some camping gear, some bleach and 2 washings at the laundromat took care of all the cloth items.........I just kinda learned to deal with the rest

febreze it...

honestly i don't know.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew

Some nicotine staining will never go away; it's an oil & bonds w/the finish. A lot of the smell will just go away if the case is left open. But then the room smells!
    I noticed my Les Paul (& case) stunk so bad after I stopped playing clubs but it did go away. After a year or so I quit smelling it every time I opened it up. One of the things I did was take all the hardware off & wipe the guitar down w/a damp rag & a little dishwashing liquid.

actually all good answsers so far, going out to get some sardines today and going to carve a sound hole in this Les Paul Special (do you think the mod will lessen the value?) Moonpie is the sland... and Chuck, no shit I thought about Fabreeze and also lysol spray but thought better of it moments later :) I took it apart and cleaned it down real good with Gibson cleaner / polish, and I also cleaned the fretboard real well and did a lemon oil application. That helped allot. I am keeping it on a stand and I am going to get a new case. It is not so bad. I believe most of the smoke / oils etc pentrated the fretboard so I will concentrate on that real good next time I change strings. At any rate it is certainly not so bad that I don't love noodling away on it. Thought there might be a sure fire remedy some of the live performers might know about.

for the cases...put a tupperware thing full of baking powder in the case and let it sit. i dont know how or why it works but it does. for the guitars...just give them a LIGHT naptha treatment and let them sit in a smoke free place. if that doesnt work then u can plan on dealing with the smoke problems.

TFF Stage Crew

D'oh! Naphtha! How could I forget? That'll work, too.

I'd say fight smoke with smoke. Just replace the nicotine smell with something, say a little more skunky and pine-like. :nelson

And here's another Jerry avatar. A new new trend afoot?

Sorry I went to sleep early and missed the fine answers here.
    I'm sticking with the Sardine Smelloriffic---guaranteed to change your opinion of
    nicotine stains and tobacco odors. Oder by midnight tonight and and we'll doulble your oder.

edit: hey, I just had a thought.....ouch...my first of the day....

try putting a couple of drier sheets in the case....like Bounce, etc..
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

TFF Stage Crew

Moon nailed my method. I take the guitar out of the case, give it a good polish (and lemon oil the board if it's rosewood) and set it on a stand. then I toss a couple Bounce sheets in the case and close it for a day, then leave it open for several more days.

After about 4 days neither retain the smell.

well I am going to work on picking up and reading about naphtha - I am cool on the case solution, and really since I cleaned it and have been keeping it on the stand it does not bother me so much...the odor is a much more subtle at this point - So I decided to simply name the LP Special - "Ole Smokey" and work on it through future string changes etc. Thanks gents! And also Moonpie :lolAlso Sabby you’re High

:ahem

Ole Smokey with his gal Honey Blonde in the backround
    Last edited by Skip; 02-26-2005 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Can't spell as good as I smell. (verb not adjective - smell)

[QUOTE=sabby]I'd say fight smoke with smoke. Just replace the nicotine smell with something, say a little more skunky and pine-like. :nelson

..Now thats what I would do..

Just remember that Naptha makes a guitar flammable for a while, keep it away from flames. (I have actually seen some clown catch his guitar on fire after cleaning it with Naptha :) )

thanks for all the tips gents! to sum it up the solutions are
    1.)Sardines
    2.)Fabreeze
    3.)Fight smoke with smoke - use alterative smoke solution
    3.)Dryer sheets in the case
    4.)Naptha - clean but don't smoke :)

Hey I have the Naptha and will clean it up - let it dry open - then polish it up again with the Gibson polish (after dry from Naptha)
    Thanks Gang! Ole Smokey will never know what hit him!

Make a 10:1 mixture of fine ground Altoids and your favorite guitar polish. Shine up your guitar until it's almost "curiously" minty.:yay
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Neo that is funny...wish it was March 5th

:rofl

A cut up apple will absorb smoke odor too. If you have a small tupperware dish, cut up an apple and put it in the dish and set that in the case and close the case (no lid on the tupperware) Leave it in there for a couple of days and the smoke smell will be gone.

Alternatively,you could take up smoking,and just let people think the guitar has SERIOUS mojo.
    I think,therefore I am
    I thought,therefore I was
    I am therefore,I thought
    Therefore,am I as I think I was