Thread: Fender Mustang...............

Forum Member

Fender Mustang...............

Someone on the internet e-mailed me about tradeing my "1998 Gibson BluesHawk" for a "1998 Fender Mustang" that he has. He said it is metalic blue with a red pickguard, serial #26564589202. I never heard of such a long serial number for a Mustang. Does anyone out there have any information for me. This guy does'nt even have any picture's to see what he has. Please help!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Trade

As much as I like Fender, I personally would not trade a Blueshawk for a Mustang. I looked at a hawk for a long time and will probably still purchase at some point. The playability of the hawk amazed me and it is more versatile than the mustang. Then again, I am not sure what music you are playing which do make a difference. Overall, if it were me I would not make that kind of trade.

Forum Member
    IF it's a '98 then it's a MIJ. I wonder if the number isn't a patent number or something. I recall my real '72 or '73 (I forgot which year it is! I've only owned it since '79-what the hell's wrong w/ me!) having some large numbers like that underneath the logo on the face of the headstock. FWIW I wouldn't trade a Blueshawk for a vintage Mustang, much less a MIJ one.

Forum Member
    I did'nt ask you to...................

Forum Member
    Hey LP58, you posed the question and we gave you our opinions, now it sounds like you want to be a little smart about it. Come on buddy, can't be doing that here. You want help and suggestions, they are available here. You want to smart off, take your young butt elsewhere.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by scssgs
    Hey LP58, you posed the question and we gave you our opinions, now it sounds like you want to be a little smart about it. Come on buddy, can't be doing that here. You want help and suggestions, they are available here. You want to smart off, take your young butt elsewhere.
    I was'nt being smart. All I said was "I did'nt ask you to". You have no idea how I negotiate when I make a deal. I never try to take advantage of anyone that I make an offer to. I alway's offer my guitar as a trade plus whatever money would make the differance if they are not happy with the even trade.
    It sound's to me like you want to be a little smart. Before you go accusing me, check out the whole story. What's with you anyway? I'll bet my 53 year old young butt has been on this earth alot longer then your's.

Forum Member

LP58

My apologies. I guess I had a tough time getting the whole story out of 5 words, I just took them at face value. Anyway, I still would not trade the hawk for a mustang, any mustang, unless of course the hawk doesn't suit you at all. In that case I think you ought to have a little cash thrown you way in the trade.

Forum Member

PS

yeah your young butt has got my young butt beat by two years.

Forum Member
    That's what I'm doing. I really do not play the BluesHawk. I used to have a 1969 Mustang, and I'm just trying to get another one. I got a few bid's on the net going on right now that involve's my guitar plus cash to make the differance.

Forum Member
    Now this is making sense. It is hard to put a price tag on something of sentimental value. At least have the guy send you some pics of the mustang. I just value a hawk more than a mustang but that is just me. Well good luck and I hope he is not overpriced.

Forum Member
    Having played a Mustang as my only guitar for about 11 years, some of those professionally, I can definitely understand how someone could get attached to such a quirky instrument. I did and I still have mine (and it cost me three times what I paid for it to get it restored to gigging condition too-it now gets played about three times a year and holds mostly "sedimental" value for me). Having moved on to Teles and a nice Les Paul, I do have a hard time turning back. ;) Having played a few MIJ reissues, I'd say hold out for a vintage 'stang considering the $$ you could get for a Blueshawk. My vintage '72 pickup switches are still going strong. The RI switches feel remarkably flimsy and the pickups just don't seem up to snuff even for Mustang pickups. Don't get me started on the quality of Japanese chrome work. I don't think one would compare favorably to yer '69. Enjoy yer new 'stang when you get it!

Forum Member
    I finally got one, and I am enjoying it!

I have a '65 Daphne Blue Mustang that I bought new, and until a year ago it was the only electric I ever owned. I truly love my Mustang, and would never sell it. Plus it has a custom paint job (a butterfly and some psychedelic designs) that my old drummer's sister painted for me. It's all original except for a replacement whammy bar (which I never use), new Kluson tuners and a Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge (the original pup mysteriously died). It sounds great too, real vintagey 60's tone.
    Last edited by Dangerine49; 11-02-2002 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Member
    I finally got me a vintage 1965 Mustang(serial # 111896,neck stamped 8 NOV 65B,original color~Daphne Blue). Unfortunetly, someone stripped it down to natural and put a clear coat on it. You can still see the paint(Daphne Blue) in the body cavities,it has aged to a nice Foam Green. I wish they would have left it painted!
    I just re-painted it a nice Vintage Cream color(from ReRanch)and I am about to put on the Clear Coat now. Both pickup's work but are not original so I got a Seymour Duncan Classic Stack(neck position)and a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck Jr.(bridge position). I'm going to have to wait about a week or two for the body to dry.I have some before and after picture's of the body,but I have'nt figured out how to send picture's on the Forum yet.
    I've seen pic's of your Mustang on a different web-site(look's nice!).Those design's look really like the 60's(groovy)!

Forum Member
    Originally posted by LP58
    I finally got me a vintage 1965 Mustang(serial # 111896,neck stamped 8 NOV 65B,original color~Daphne Blue)....
    Must've made a bunch of short necks that year. I'm working on my cousin's Mustang and it's stamped 6 AUG 65B on the butt of the neck. Anyone have any tune-up tips for this puppy before I ship it back to him? It just got a pro do a fret levelling and a mammoth ivory nut. I'm attempting neck-shim construction (out of wood), and I could definitely use some tips or tricks on the tremolo and bridge, too. Thanks.

Forum Member
    Not much to tell there. As for the trem I removed the whammy bar (thus always being out of the way) and used mine as a "drop only" (pushing on the back of the tailpiece) and set the bridge all the way back towards the tailpiece. That way the bridge wouldn't reset it self even further back when I let up on the tailpiece. If you do this then set your string height based on the bridge being in that position. I'll assume you've figured out how to adjust the height with a small allen wrench and aren't doing it the way Kurt Cobain suggested in that old GP interview ..LOL!.

Forum Member
    Originally posted by Bob Craver
    I'll assume you've figured out how to adjust the height with a small allen wrench and aren't doing it the way Kurt Cobain suggested in that old GP interview ..LOL!.
    HA HA! Funny you should mention that. After twirling a too-short allen wrench around the hole and wrongly assuming "this dumb thing ain't even adjustable!", I did some surfing last night and found it IS adjustable and a treasure trove of other info on some actual Jag-Stang pages... who'da thunk! Thanks for getting back to me, though. After only 4 people looked at my message in the tech section of this forum, I was beginning to think this place was an illusion. :lol

Mustang clone...

I just won this auction on Ebay. Eagerly awaiting this guitar to arrive! It's a Japanese made Fernandes copy of a Mustang from the 70's. Great copy! :bigal