Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardtail fans form line here

Re: Hardtail fans form line here

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love Strat quack, but not every Strat needs to be quacky. It's cool to have a darker sounding Strat. I imagine it rocks pretty well.
    Yeah, the quack is quintessential, but it's good to have different tools for different jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    My first thought is YES! But then, I'm a huge fan of Elvis Costello, who rocks that fahkin' thang.

I've decided that when I do build another JM, it will have "Chuck 90's". Which are a custom spec I came up with. 9.2K bridge, 7.8K neck, both have A2 A5 mixed mags in it. And the body will be Pine, Maple and Rosewood neck, Kluson tuners, Mustang bridge.

And totally agree Sergio! I don't see the point of having multiple guitars that sound the same. Even if it's subtle differences, they still sound different. I'm not a touring Rockstar, there I can see having backups in case something happens.

And as for the trem vs hardtail Strat? Even though I don't deck the trem as I never use it, I like having the springs. It might be all in my head, but I like to hear the "sproing" and natural reverb they seem to add to the tone. With that said, I would like a 54-56 type Hardtail Strat. A3 flat pole pups, and my "normal" wiring scheme. Which is just swapping the bridge and middle pup leads on the switch. That gets me the tones I'm wanting. Oh, and a baseplate on the bridge pup.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    And as for the trem vs hardtail Strat? Even though I don't deck the trem as I never use it, I like having the springs. It might be all in my head, but I like to hear the "sproing" and natural reverb they seem to add to the tone.

That's why I don't deck or block mine. I don't use the tremolo, but I like the strat to sound like an entirely "standard" strat, quacky and "sproingy".

I tried decking the bridge once, and to my ears it made the guitar lack that so peculiar metallic tone, especially in the lower strings

I screwed up, I DO deck my bridge. And I also use Raw Vintage springs. They're lower tension and supposedly made from the "correct" metal. Another trick I do is swap out the trem block, been using the cold rolled steel one from GFS. I think they're $30? While miniscule changes, when done together, they'll make a good guitar a GREAT guitar.

I have some other "tricks" you can try, if you're interested
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"